PDA

View Full Version : 'puter woes!!

jimgriff
19th Apr 2004, 18:36
Had good advice from here in past..So I'll try this :

My 'puter working brill, fsat as......etc.
Loaded a game... didnt like game so I unloaded game and deleted all kindred files.

No my 'puter is as slow as a newt in sludge...Just no go in the old gal at all.

Also my ISP is cut off after some 10 mins online. Was all OK before
said game was loaded/unloaded.

Have run disc cleanup etc...not defragged yet as I did that last week.

Any advice please?

JG

PretoriaSillyperson
19th Apr 2004, 18:47
Okey-dokey!

First orf:

What's the basic spec on the PC?
What was the game?
Was the game an original CD or a copy?

Who's your ISP?

PSP

jimgriff
19th Apr 2004, 18:51
Pentium P4 2.3
512 Ram
20gb hard drive
nvidia 128mb Graphics card
dvd/cd rom
SB live drive soundcard

Game "Lock on" by Ubisoft. Original disc.

ISP is ISDN AOL....( no probs before and v happy with them.

E-Liam
19th Apr 2004, 19:55
Hi Jim,

You say you deleted all kindred files?? Did you use the proper uninstall for the game or uninstalled via add/remove programs? Either should be fine. If you deleted the folder in program files, then looked for all files named Lock On or Ubisoft etc. then you may have deleted some shared files. I'm thinking specifically about ones that would utilise certain files in IE/AOL for online gaming.

Try a system restore to the time before you installed. (I'm assuming from the spec that you've probably got XP). If that doesn't work, then click on Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, then scroll down the list and highlight Internet Explorer 6.0 and Internet Tools by clicking once. A button will illuminate under the list saying Add/Remove program. Click on that and then click on the option to Repair, and click OK.

(If that option doesn't work then go to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information | Tools | Internet Explorer Repair Tool and do it from there.) See how you get on with that.

If you've mucked up AOL's settings, I have no idea how to repair them, :) but I'm sure you'll have some sort of similar option.

Cheers

Liam

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Apr 2004, 02:15
jimgriff,

Like Liam, I would really like to hear how you removed all the files.

Take Care,

Richard

jimgriff
20th Apr 2004, 17:45
I used the uninstall wiz with the prog. I also found the standalone registration bits in a seperate file and binnned those.
Thanks for the advice. I tried to follow but found that those options were not on my 'puter. I am running XP + SP1. Ho Hum.
I ended upi doing a "Trip back in time to last Thursday"...seems to have cured problems.

Now, if it Friday today, where did I write those lottery numbers?

:hmm:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Apr 2004, 18:52
jimgriff,

If it acts up again, let us know. (If it does, it will probably be time for a repair of WinXP with the WinXP CD.)

Take Care,

Richard