PDA

View Full Version : Problem - advice needed!

FlyingForFun
15th Aug 2001, 13:58
Well, first of all, I have to say how disappointed I am with Bio Warrior for using the thread name "Help" just 14 hours before I was going to, and forcing me to come up with a different thread name :mad: (Only kidding, Bio honey, you use whatever thread name you want :D )

Ok, first rant over, now on to my next rant. I found out last night that my boss has decided my whole team is to move desks, so that we can "sit closer to the people we work most closely with".

Now, at the moment, I sit directly opposite my boss, staring at his face across the partition. My boss's face is not particularly nice, and I don't like staring at it all day, but it does have some advantages - namely, he can't see my PC, because the screen faces away from him. I also sit near a window, 4 seats away from the "aisle", so no one ever wanders past my desk unless they want to speak to me. Combine these two points together, and you can see how I can spend (almost) as much time PPRuNeing as I like.

Unfortunately, the new desk arrangement doesn't suit me quite so well. I will now be sat next to the aisle, with all kinds of strange people walking straight past my desk staring at my PC wondering why I'm not doing any work. And, to make it worse, I will sit almost with my back to my boss, so that all he needs to do to see if I'm actually working is swivel round on his chair. He even has to walk straight past my desk to get to his own, since he is nearer the window than I am! It's just not on...

Fellow PPRuNers, I need your help! How can I continue to PPRuNe? Will my number of posts ever get close to the great Herr Draper?

I did consider asking Danny to create a special "non-graphics" version of PPRuNe that I can load into Microsoft Word so that it looks like work until you look really close (now I know why Microsoft build web-browsing capabilities into Word!) But I don't think the PPRuNe sponsors would be too happy about that, apart from the fact that I don't want to give Danny all that work just for me.

So I need some other ideas. Please help!

FFF
---------

tony draper
15th Aug 2001, 14:33
Ask Sir Prune to have a boss hide thingy, that used to be available on a few programs, you hit a particular key is a stranger or boss approaches your desk and I assume it would hide whatever you shouldn't be doing and display something you should.
Lots of them poor American work for companies that have a warning prog on their softwhere that rings a bell or something in the boss's office if some illicit web surfing is going on. ;)

You want it when?
15th Aug 2001, 14:45
FFF,

Some suggestions for you...

1. Get wing mirrors fitted to the PC screen and if possible some go-faster stripes down the monitor to compliment the look. Remeber to make "revving" sounds every so often.

2. Develop an annoying habbit like breaking wind or suddenly pushing your chair back and mowing down the odd person passing - then you will be moved back into the corner

3. Initiate a new project called "Project Planning Replcement unified National edition" or the like - this is great 'cos one the initials are handy and two no one will have a clue what it is, so no deliverables = no work = more PPRuNe time.

4. Resign and come work for me. I need a NT / Citrrix network team leader - miserable pay, lousy conditions but at least I won't dock PPRuNe time. I'll trade you OT for flight time :D

Fly Safe.

Don D Cake
15th Aug 2001, 15:02
Apart from getting a new job....

Assuming you use Window$. Use the "ALT" "TAB" keys to hide your PPRuNe screen behind a proper work screen when your boss approaches (press Alt and keeping it pressed press Tab and release both keys quickly, this is worth practising). If he/she has keen eyes, they will be able to spot the PPRuNe icon on your task bar so use "autohide" selectd in the taskbar properties.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

Tricky Woo
15th Aug 2001, 15:08
You're stuffed, mate.

Next time, make sure that you take a HUGE interest in the floor planning in your office. Make yourself useful to such an extent that nobody notices that you've allocated yourself an oak-lined office with private bathroom.

It's the only way.

TW

dazedandconfused
15th Aug 2001, 15:21
:rolleyes: You could always actually do your work!

On second thoughts...I wouldnt ask you to do anything i wouldnt do! :D

SLF 999
15th Aug 2001, 16:42
Complain about glare from your screen and get an anti glare cover, means that you can only see whats on the screen when directly in front of it, anyone to the side can see colours but not the detail !

Kermit 180
15th Aug 2001, 17:00
They're on to you matey :eek: Youll have to hold out until home time.

Kerms

Velvet
15th Aug 2001, 18:21
Tricky, quite right, I was involved in the floor planning for our new office and I'm now happily ensconced in a corner with windows behind me and no-one walks past.

Previously, I was situated in the middle of an office, with my boss behind me. He's a gem, but he did have this weird idea that occasionally he wanted me to produce another training course. Strange man.

Tinstaafl
15th Aug 2001, 22:05
I trust you declined, Velvet?

You wouldn't want to set a precedent, otherwise he could expect you to prepare more of them.

RW-1
16th Aug 2001, 00:48
Of course, having a job where I AM allowed to hang out at PPRuNe is the best bet ...

Muhahahaha .... Sorry.

Feeton Terrafirma
16th Aug 2001, 15:51
OK, it's a long shot but, what the hell, you have nothing to lose. Introduce your boss to PPRuNe! Get him hooked, turn him into a 5 posts a day addict! Then if nothing else he will sympathize with you and maybe let you PPRuNe at work too. ;) ;) ;)

You want it when?
16th Aug 2001, 16:39
Where is FFF?
Has he been forced to do the work thing?
Has PPRuNe ended a fine career?
Can he only access at night?

I'm all agog, and await a response?

FlyingForFun
16th Aug 2001, 18:04
I'm here - just! Having a few nightmares at work apart from moving desks, but found a few minutes to spare....

Some excellent suggestios guys - thanks! YWIW came up with the best one - create a project called "Project Planning Replcement unified National edition" - shear brilliance!

I also like your next suggestion of coming to work for you, YWIW. I'm purely a software guy, I know very little about networks - but judging from the networking people I've worked with in the past, this shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage!

FFF
----------

You want it when?
16th Aug 2001, 18:14
Judging by the calibre of people I've been interviewing then I could'nt do a lot worse than software type.

Q. Have you used M$ Exchange
A. No
Q. Any experience of WIN2000 or NT4?
A. No
Q. Ever built a server?
A. Not as such.
Q. Ever seen a server?
A. Yes
Q. Why do you think you are qualified for the job?
A. The salary is a bit higher than where I am now.

Hmm, I'll get back to you.

Sound of a HR type wetting themselves just prior to me giving them a boll*cking for wasting my time.

FFF - probably a good job you don't come here as I fear we'd both be watching the post level and complaining that neither of us are doing any work :D

Trinflight
21st Aug 2001, 18:23
See Reddo's thread on farting. :p