PDA

View Full Version : Ata-5 & Ata-6

amanoffewwords
19th Apr 2004, 16:02
Just buying a new hard-disk for my laptop as current went crrrrunch a few hours ago - and of course I have half an assigment for the OU on it due 25/4 - grrrr.

Anyway, current disk is ATA-5 (Toshiba 40GB) which I can find on laptopbits for 135 + VAT. However, Dabs has a similar one made by Toshiba and size=40GB but it's ATA-6 - does that matter? (the Tosh site is of no help).

Any ideas?

Thanks
amofw

Mac the Knife
19th Apr 2004, 17:30
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=331269

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Apr 2004, 02:04
amanoffewwords,

The only thing that matters is the RPMs the drive turns at. Since you are getting a new Hard Drive for your Notebook, I would go with the fastest RPM Drive you can get. Windows is all about Disk Access, you will see a boost in performance in your Notebook by using this opportunity to put in a faster RPM Drive. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
20th Apr 2004, 07:02
Thanks Mac and Richard - I ordered the Ata-6 version as I couldn't find any ata-5s - I suspected that it was just a performance enhancement but you never know...not my area of speciality.

amofw

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Apr 2004, 17:32
amanoffewwords,

The only difference is the size of the data pipe. The drives are not fast enough to fill the ATA-5 (UDMA-66) Spec so changing to the ATA-6 (UDMA-100) Spec will not make any difference.

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
20th Apr 2004, 17:53
Correct, it hasn't changed the performance but hey it works so I'm a happy bunny :cool:

Cheers,

Charles (<--- fed up of mistyping amowf... grrr ... amfow .... see what I mean, hence I'm coming out!)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Apr 2004, 18:54
Charles,

What is the RPM of the old drive and the RPM of new drive?

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
20th Apr 2004, 19:43
Richard,

They're both 5400rpm

Cheers
Charles

nb: actually the first one is now 0rpm :(

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Apr 2004, 01:43
Charles,

Since they were both 5,400RPM you would not see any difference in performance and further proves my point about not filling the theoretical limit of the ATA-5. (Since going to ATA-6 showed no difference in performance.) Now, if you would have installed a 7,200RPM Drive you would have seen an improvement in the Disk Access Performance.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. You are up and running again. That is all that matters. ;)