PDA

View Full Version : Pilots Paying for Jobs

pilotjobs
19th Apr 2004, 15:27
Would pilots invest their own money in a start-up airline, like, Backpackersxpress, if it meant they got the job.

Assuming they passed or relavent tests.

If so, how much would you be prepared to invest?

Just curious.

404 Titan
19th Apr 2004, 16:30
Rule 1. If you want to make a million bucks in aviation, start with two.
Rule 2. Don’t invest hard earned money in aviation if you want to see that money again.
:E

Wizofoz
19th Apr 2004, 16:33
3) Don't trawl for suckers on Pprune...

Rich-Fine-Green
19th Apr 2004, 20:25
About 12-15 years ago - I recall some poor SOB's paid 50K to buy a job with a start up that of course did not start up.

I think it was called AAA or something. They had an answered phone at an Archerfield based school.

Was tempted for about 5 minutes..........Hope not too many were caught out.

Woomera
19th Apr 2004, 20:25
Never ask airline people for investment advice......

Never buy an airline ticket from a stock broker.......

W

DirectAnywhere
19th Apr 2004, 21:36
Geeze, if I was still in GA I'd certainly put in that hard earned $5000 it took me three years to save working two jobs, 70 hour weeks, having no life etc. so some bloke like Paul Stoddart could start up an airline and then take the money and run if and when it all fell over.

How much money do you think GA pilots have? If this is a serious question from someone involved with this organisation, I'd take a good look at exactly what your business plan is if you need the pittance that most GA pilots have to reach the required level of working capital. If you're that close to the line, forget it. Another nail in the coffin of conditions in Australia.

spinout
19th Apr 2004, 21:40
:rolleyes: If you want to make a small fortune in Aviation start off with a large one!

Beer Can Dreaming
19th Apr 2004, 22:35
Yeah, remember AAA Airlines suckering not only pilots to pay for their training but also a few Flight Attendants.

AAA was started by a guy that now teaches Aviation related subjects at University level and was exposed by the media for not only bending the truth, but also exaggerating his qualifications ('Qantas Pilot' - sacked while still a cadet), 'Examiner of Airmen' (wrote CPL exams as opposed to a Flt Ops Inspector).
This was adequately covered by the media both in print and on TV.

I believe in the end alot of people were left being owed alot of money but havent really heard much from those people.

Does anyone know of this affair or know people that lost money in this ill-fated venture??
The whole thing was just a disgrace.

ugly
20th Apr 2004, 02:46
At the time my boss's missus was going to work for them as a hostie. She didn't have the upfront bucks so was forgoing salary for 'buy-in' money

EPIRB
20th Apr 2004, 04:20
They were going to have second officers on the DC-9's and the SO was going to double as a flight attendant. I remember seeing a picture in a newspaper of a young bloke in the uniform of AAA standing really proud because his grandfather was kind enough to buy him a job there. Then they screwed him and his grand dad.