PDA

View Full Version : PDF Files etc

Sky Express
19th Apr 2004, 14:36
Am unable to open any files of this type despite previously been able to with Acrobat 5.0 .Screen appears blank with a very small icon top left which has no use.Is there something I am missing here eg an "open file with...." type setting??
Next problem....website access.Unable to open certain parts of a site eg Direct line get a quote icon,handbag.com email etc.Either dosnt action at all or presents blank screen.
Any help much appreciated!!!
Thanks
SE.

The Nr Fairy
19th Apr 2004, 14:57
Quickest route is to download and reinstall. That way the file associations will be restored, and you'll also have the latest and greatest version.

Memetic
19th Apr 2004, 15:41
Are you trying to open the .pdf files by browsing to them on the web, i.e. by clicking on a link to them in internet explorer?

If so that, combined with you saying you cannot view bits of web pages, which may be made up of things like flash animations could suggest that your web browser has lost track of it's "plug in" programmes.

A reinstall of Flash and acrobat might fix it, but before you do you might want to check the security settings in your browser in case some how these have been changed to block some content you want to see. (Tools>Internet Options then the Security Tab under I.E. 6.0)

I suggest first trying to access a .pdf that is saved on your hard disk. If that works then you do not need to reinstall acrobat, just fix it's connection with the browser.

Sky Express
19th Apr 2004, 19:13
Thanks Memetic
Managed to open files saved on hard disk so sounds like you suspect the browser has a problem.Sorry to be bit slow but how can I fix the connection with the browser for these plug in items??

The Nr Fairy
19th Apr 2004, 21:47
Sky:

The most expedient way, IMO, is to reinstall Acrobat over the top of your existing installation. If you have broadband, download and install will be less than half an hour.

Personally, if it's big PDF files I'm reading in a web browser window, I tend to save them onto disk anyway as it's a pain to wait for the files to load.

Memetic
20th Apr 2004, 15:55
Hi Sky Express,

If all that is broken is Acrobat, try a reinstall, as acrobat 6.0 is out it may be worthwhile anyway.

If the browser seems to have lost associations with several types of file then it may be worth reinstalling the browser first. You don't say what browser / version. If it is not up to date then you will improve your security by doing an update. If you are using windows then a visit to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com should sort out Internet Explorer (And outlook express etc. - there were 20 new bugs this month!) If you already do the regular updates excuse me teaching you to suck eggs!

If you are not on broadband it might be worth checking out some computer mag cover disks to see if there is one with the latest software you need on it. the acrobat and Internet explorer downloads are quite large.

If you are on WIndows XP and this trouble started after any system changes you may be able to "roll back" to before the changes. Have a look in Windows help - i have, fortunately, never needed it so can't offer guidance here.

Hope you get it fixed.

Memetic.