PDA

View Full Version : Lets get the forum back to being the best

George Tower
19th Apr 2004, 14:17
For the last 8 months I haven't been flying due to some finance issues but this forum has always been a good source of advice and information. Most of the regular contributors are really sound people and only too happy to offer advice from their experience. Granted there are times when some of us with myself included (must be frustration from not flying) make a few rash comments but I don't think that any of us peddle lies, malicious gossip, or racism. I remember reading a while ago that many people thought that this forum was the best on Pprune......alas it seems to be like a microcosm of the real Africa at the moment with all this petty bickering.

So lets get this forum back to being the best on Pprune.....good natured, helpful, constructive, and last but not least a good dose of humour.
:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Apr 2004, 14:23
I lost it somewhat today with a certain troll but have got a cold one down and feeling much better. Slagging off the terminally bewildered isn't what it's about and frankly, it's too easy and not even fun anymore......

I'm with ya GT!:ok:

B Sousa
19th Apr 2004, 14:31
I see Danny removed a thread. Someone drop me a PM to let me know what I missed. I usually get slammed for stupid comments, good to see Im not alone......

Gunship
19th Apr 2004, 14:41
Lo Bert,

All done and dusted. It was my thread but I respect the decission. Letting a bit of steam off and it got out of hand - mainly due to trolls.

Let's look forward to keeping African Aviation the best forum - agreed George Tower. Let's go .. ;)

I beg every one to keep trolls at bay - please .. they destroy good forums.

Cheers,

Gunssss

Deanw
19th Apr 2004, 16:13
Hello GT, SRT, BS and G :}

Agreed! Must say I also fell for the troll and hopefully did not make to much of an :8 of myself in doing so :p

There are some mighty fine folk here and as GT said, keep the humour flying :ok:

Okee dokee, back to the REAL aviation rumours ...

Jacobest
19th Apr 2004, 17:25
I agree with you guys completely. But my question is this, what happens to people like sam6 and others?
Are they allowed continuing broadcasting on a site like this or do they get the boot, after all, are we not supposed to be able to say what we feel? Don’t get me wrong, I cannot stand people like that, but then if a thread is removed because of what was said, should not ALL sam6's comments be removed (referring to the comment made about the mercenaries in Zimbabwe on another thread) If we are not allowed to respond to what is said and yet the said perpetrator’s thoughts are left behind, I feel that that is biased censorship.

Just a thought, use it or don't:ok:

4HolerPoler
19th Apr 2004, 18:44
You'd make a fine mod with that outlook Jacobest. It sounds real easy to be impartial but it ain't. We try not to stifle any views or opinions but if an expression of opinion is determined to place the owners of this website at risk through the action of defamatory or libelous statements that are contested by an individual or an organization that feels that they have been offended or maligned by such statements, then, sadly, such threads are sent down the proverbial hole.

But please don't let this stifle all of your wonderful rumor-mongering and as GT says let's make this forum what it used to be before the brown stuff started flying.

4HP

Jacobest
19th Apr 2004, 21:14
POINT TAKEN
thanks

Rhodie
19th Apr 2004, 21:21
GT - good post..

Gunnss, Dean, Bert and all - can only agree...

'Fraid I had a say to the troll before I read here, maybe I survive the bash...

Now - any one hear the rumour about........ :E

Cheers

R

:ok:

19th Apr 2004, 21:42
Yeah I was there too and got equally dusted with the young mentalman. Having met Gerald Todd MANY years ago, and complying with Cassie and Jaco's educated, experienced and fair assesment, I sincerely hope that we hear no more of samesex or his twisted views. Nonetheless, I take back (not apologise for) my outbursts!

BTW, nice one George Tower...

:}

Gunship
19th Apr 2004, 21:46
Lo Rhodie, Bert and those that missed it.

I think I had a legitimate complaint about guys just keep on slagging the Flying Training Industry in SA.

Not one of these guys had more than 10 posts ..

So a certain one - poster started making his mark - just for it to be blown up and the posts being deleted and the thread locked by Danny.

All in a days "work".

Well we all learn from these experiences.

I am also a moderator for the past 3 years and I tell you it aint easy. We have EXACTLY these peeps on our sites.

So if we see it we delete them immediatley - no two chances.

We also do not allow TROLLS (2 usernames - 1 IP address).

But .. I take my hat off the 4 Holer - Jettie - Danny and the rest of the mod's .. it is not easy.

Take care out there and let the rebuild begin.

Cheers,

Gunnss

PS: 4 Holer .. jy is stil my ex - broer ;)

4HolerPoler
19th Apr 2004, 22:54
Nie jou ex-broer seun, jou ex-swaer boeta - het jou suster nie vir jou gese meneer?

Cass - It's sad the world's got so big because otherwise everytime time I had a dop (ja even in this sandpit) I could be having it with you.

Enough of this crockodile tears - lets get this forum back to what it should be.

No more Mr. Nice Guy but I'm still a softie; if you know what I mean.

4HP (In a moment of weakness)

Balloothebear
20th Apr 2004, 06:32
Hear hear chaps,lets keep it clean and tidy.
Had great fun reading the banter yesterday,held back really hard on climbing on the "bandwagon" and opening a can of "whipass"
Children of all ages read and use this forum.
As for the "cubs" who insist on making a storm in a teacup,its up to the "Ooms" and other level headed guys (and gooses) to keep them in check.
10/10 Gunns.............
Remember:"look for the bare nessesities the simple bear nessesites,forget about your girlfriend,or your wife.........:ok:

Treetopflyer
20th Apr 2004, 09:48
"Let's get this forum back to being the best on Pprune"

What in the world are you talking about, mate??? It has always been the best... I read these bloody threads more than I read my own email...:8

Gunship
20th Apr 2004, 11:24
Good morning all.. ahhh a clear blue sky day in Africa ... air is clear and no banter so early in the morning - thanks it is very "welcomey" feeling :D

4 HP ... that luvvllyyy sis of mine gave the devorce note in Dec to my bru in law ... eischh first devorce in the famdamily.

Everyone though it must be gunns but his wife likes him for some reason beyond his control.

Boys (and girls) what happened to Mr and Mrs de B ?? :o

You all have a lovely, joyious day and fly safe in the African skies ...

Cheers,

Gunnss

B Sousa
20th Apr 2004, 14:14
Balloo writes:" Children of all ages read and use this forum."
When things get tense, therin lies the problem. Most take the comments very personal and wish they could reach through the internet and rip off the lips of the offender.
As for me I refuse to grow up........

HappyPilot
20th Apr 2004, 15:20
Good Stuff George Tower,

Its nice to see a lot of positive replies on this new topic. Africa is a very interesting place to fly in and we should be sharing our experiences a lot more.

Regards HP.

BAKELA
21st Apr 2004, 05:18
Howzit Gunns, GT, Bert, 4HP, Dean and all the other okes, blokes and babes. :cool:

Gunns, I'm doing what we all dread to do that's why I'm so quiet - WORK it's called, not that I believe you'll know what that means... :E

GT, have to agree - good stuff with this thread. Like Bert, I missed most of the "removed thread" but was briefed by the missus who followed it with great big round ....blue eyes :} ...until it was obliterated by the mods. Good on you oaks for doing that as I would most probably also have been in the akkies had I had the chance to get on that thread.

Have a sunny African day out there.

Bakela

sam6
21st Apr 2004, 19:32
Yep sorry I missed this super thread too
maybe catch another like a wave surfer

Gunship
21st Apr 2004, 19:37
Hey Bakela bru .. "welcome back" ... yip for a while I am also on the "comeback" trail :D

That's flying now ...

Best regards to Mrs Bakela and co ...

PS: You for got the Dik Vis and the Capie in The Fish Bowl, 2 x GT's ... FM ... eischh PP ..

Yes PP I will get to your PM ;)

Take care and fly safe :D

PS: Where is Goffel and Jetjock and rags lately ?

Gunnsss