View Full Version : McDonald's CEO dies of heart attack

Bre901
19th Apr 2004, 13:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3639607.stm

He who lives by the sword ...

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 14:27
He who lives by the sword ...

Bit harsh isn't it? the guy just died and he was instrumental in changing ther McD menu to offering grilled chicken, fruit etc.

noisy
19th Apr 2004, 14:28
...those chips look lovely though :{

Ozzy
19th Apr 2004, 14:31
...and MCD down 73 cents to $26.73 - and I have a substantial holding in it :( **** it

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2004, 14:35
I heard about this this morning. You're so cruel; after all, he introduced all sorts of 'healthy' menu items :} :} :hmm: :yuk:

Actually I read about a film that's just been released on the documentary circuit. The film maker went on a diet of McDonalds for a month. Three squares a day at McDonalds. Apparently his weight went from 185lbs (11st 9 lbs) to 210 (13st 2 lb) :ooh: and his cholestorol shot up too :eek:. The doctors said his liver looked like pate :uhoh:

tony draper
19th Apr 2004, 14:39
Is Drapes the only prooner who enjoys the occasional Big Mac,? one finds them very tasty and filling,though as previously stated one is a man of simple tastes.

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 14:39
What would you expect if you eat at McD's 3 times a day?? The stuff is loaded in fat, you don't need a masters degree to work that out....

Jesus a man dies of a heart attack and people make light hearted quips about it? You'd laugh if it was your dad or brother?

IB4138
19th Apr 2004, 14:46
You can't beat a quarter pounder mit cheese + six nuggets +vanilla shake on the morning after the night before!:ok:

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2004, 14:51
1W22

If you are offended by that, read the warning at the JetBlast entrance. You are with a group that includes many who make light of death because they face it every day, or know many who have died. That is aviation. On the other hand many people would also say that the man who has just died induced heart attacks in others for profit (that is before any argument as to the taste of the crap served). Little sympathy is likely from them. I see that as a very defensible argument, although one I would not put forward without a lot of caution.

topcat450
19th Apr 2004, 15:05
Sorry Tony, More of a Burger King man myself, thier BK double cheese bacon burger...yummy. McDs put too much crap on thier burgers to be tasty.

Creme egg McFlurrys though...now we're talking serious seduction food!

Maxflyer
19th Apr 2004, 15:18
Clowns.....

That sounded like a lot of gratuitous cr*p!

Davaar
19th Apr 2004, 15:27
Gracious me! I agree with OneWorld22. Well, I do. And furthermore, we all face death every day. That's not only aviation, that's life.

Evanelpus
19th Apr 2004, 15:42
Me, I prefer Burger King.

Anyway, someone once told me that McD's were major supporters (financially) of the IRA. Don't know if this was true but it made me think where I bought my burgers from since then.

noisy
19th Apr 2004, 15:55
Yes, and Andrex is actually just a front for Al Quaida :hmm:

I was fooled by the cute labrador puppy for a while too. :}

I always thought that Gerry Adams and Ronald McDonald looked very much alike.

Watchoutbelow
19th Apr 2004, 16:00
Yeah,
Ronald used to be a hitman for the RA! He Spent a couple of years in Long Kesh behind the wire then went into politics!
He still is a staunch supporter of Sinn Fein

timmcat
19th Apr 2004, 16:20
Not so much a 'Happy Meal' for him - more a 'Last Supper'.

Agree with others, BK better (but never seem to be very warm - McD's are always red hot).

SLFguy
19th Apr 2004, 16:23
Oh my God! Colonel Saunders is ok ain't he!?

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 16:30
SC I agree with Maxflyer AND Davaar, (bloody hell!) you're talking a load of cr*p.

People in aviation no more face death every day then any other worker. So sorry, I don't buy any argument that says people in aviation should be given carte blanche to make fun of somebody's death!! Do you realise how ludicrous that sounds?

McD's produce food for consumers who always have a choice, its not as if there is no alternative. How about a nice salad or a healthy sandwich with low fat flora and mayo?

You'll be telling me you agree with the fat brigade who are looking to sue McD's for making them fat next.....

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2004, 16:44
Jesus a man dies of a heart attack and people make light hearted quips about it? You'd laugh if it was your dad or brother? On the bright side...think of the inherritance you'd get

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 16:47
Why yes Onan, it would be quite large no doubt.

spork
19th Apr 2004, 17:39
Well - there are all sorts of humour, and the above counts as black humour in my book which can be very funny. It takes a lot of different people to make the world, and it's not obligatory to find all sorts of humour funny. For example, I didn't find it at all funny when the Atkins diet guy collapsed and died. :ok: :ok:

Oh - hang on - yes I did...

And it's the contents of Onan's deposit account I'd worry about.

chuks
19th Apr 2004, 17:44
I am sorry to hear about the passing of the McD's exec ('No man is an island...' Cue brief moment of reflection.... Okay, back to being a jerk....) but...

The thing I find fascinating is the way the burgers seem to taste about the same wherever you go, very much like cardboard. How do they do that?

Is it like Coca-cola, with a little scrap of paper locked away in a bank vault in Atlanta and only 5 illuminati allowed to know the secret? Someone has just got the summons. Good heavens, do they, like, wear aprons? Roll up a trousers leg?

I have to switch to a secure line; I can hear a black helicopter approaching now. And where did I put that tinfoil helmet?

IB4138
19th Apr 2004, 17:52
Ronald plays football for Barcelona, under the name Ronaldiniho Macdonaldiniho.
There is a definite likeness!:\

Unwell_Raptor
19th Apr 2004, 17:53
I remember the birth of the IRA legend. A journo got hold of a McD payslip which had an IRA deduction. Major furore. Turned out to be the Individual Retirement Account, or pension as we Brits call it.

I am no fan of McDonalds, but I loathe the anti-Mac snobbery. Nobody likes the food but the customers - that's why it is such a huge company.

Since when was it a crime to give customers what they want?

Well, apart from dope, Coke, and H, of course.

surely not
19th Apr 2004, 17:58
Look at the big fat [email protected]@rds who are found eating in Mac D's and you have a collection of the ugliest people ever.

It can't be a coincidence surely?

IB4138
19th Apr 2004, 18:21
Who you calling fat "surely not"?

On behalf of all the.. erm... slightly over weight people on this planet I take exception to your remarks!

I demand satisfaction.

Meet me out side Lineakers in Fuengirola port in half an hour.

If you don't show I will accept that as your appology, along with a quatro libre con queso, next time I'm in the UK!.:ok:

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 18:39
Ah, good old "Finger-up-your-hole-a!"

airship
19th Apr 2004, 19:11
He could not get over the news that the Froggies still love their "McDos". Indeed, that France is now its most profitable European subsidiary, having been consistently loyal since opening the first McDonald's here in the late '70s, unlike certain other "allies" who might have liked the idea of Freedom fries. Enough to make most yanquis of a certain persuasion choke. He may still be turning over in the grave...:E

surely not
19th Apr 2004, 19:17
IB4138, it is some years since I was called slim :D

It's just that every time I go passed a MCd's in an Airport it seems to be full of very corpulent people, not just those who are big, but the ones who need to book 2 seats on an aircraft.

I genuinly do not understand why they are so popular 'cos on the odd occassion I've had one they have tasted so bland that I have wondered why I bothered.

chuks
19th Apr 2004, 19:34
I had a Dutch colleague who was extemely annoyed with McD's for opening in Leiden. He said that the food was lousy and now the town was clogged with traffic from everyone going there to eat.

There was no sense in this that he had said anything funny at all. Since I was the designated clown I just nodded seriously at the injustice of it all.

Davaar
19th Apr 2004, 19:41
I have only ever spent three days in The Netherlands, but in those three days I learned the one omnibus word that fits all sizes: Echt? or Echt! or Eeeecht.....? or just Echt. It fits here.

IB4138
19th Apr 2004, 20:06
MacDonalds were responsible for one of the funiest moments I have had at an airport and for that alone I must wish the man Bon Voyage.

A couple of years ago, McDs had a promotion which involved the pressing out of a piece of your cardboard drink container at the rim. The kids, without advising the wife removed the piece of card from her container, without her seeing them. It was full when she picked it up.
Result one very wet wife at LGW, swearing and cursing at everyone in sight. I couldn't stop laughing.
She had to go shopping immediately for a full set of clothes, as she was soaked right through!
Happy days.:ok:

mattpilot
19th Apr 2004, 20:36
personally i like wendys' burgers the best (hmm, i think i mentioned that before) ... Don't know if you got any of those joints in the UK. :ok:

Ozzy
19th Apr 2004, 20:38
Doesn't Wendy's do the square burger rather than the round ones that BK and MCD do? Unfortunately Dave Thomas went to the great grill in the sky due to liver cancer (http://money.cnn.com/2002/01/08/companies/wendys_obit/) :sad: I like his adverts too.

Ozzy

Mr Chips
19th Apr 2004, 20:50
Oh great, anopther Maccy D bashing thread...

Look, it is simple.

Man dies of a heart attack - sad, especially for his family, not time to make jokes. I guess that as pilots "face death every day" we can make jokes at the next pilot to die? I think not (and I wouldn't dream of it)

I drive past a Maccy Ds every day. Sure, i see fat people going in, but I have yet to spot the big security types forcing them to do so. The company make and sell a product. The rest is consumer choice.

I quite often eat a 1/4 pounder with cheese meal. My body fat percentage is around 17%. Like I said, consumer choice. I don't eat it every day

Burger King. Microwave their burgers.

Like them or not, McDonalds is a well run company, with a strong company ethic - one which many many British companies would do well to emulate

Mr Fries ;)

Ozzy
19th Apr 2004, 20:55
Those freedom chips then Monsieur Fries?:E :E :E Okay I got in first - no one else can make political rejoindres....

Ozzy

West Coast
19th Apr 2004, 21:06
As I read through the thread I am failing to find a valid under current for its existence. Man dies. At best you would be apathetic about it you would think. That he was a bigwig at McDonalds should mean little unless you blame McDonalds for your being a fat ass. If you do you surely must blame the Tobacco corporations for forcing you to smoke. Just the same, being an alcoholic isn't your fault. Find someone else to blame, screw personal accountability.

Ray Kroc who had just a little to do with the success of Mickey D's turned out to be a huge philanthropist during his life time. The San Diego area has much to thank he and his wife in both for. With Joan Krocs passing a large fortune went to worthwhile charities and projects.

Jim Fixx died a young man. Don't get much more healthy than him prior to his death.

airship
19th Apr 2004, 21:15
WestCoast, YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!! :}

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2004, 21:16
Mr Chips (and 1W22, Davaar, Maxflyer)

You will find black humour among pilots about nearly every unfortunate occurance, including when pilots die (I could tell a few Concorde jokes) - mostly because pilots seem to realise that death is natural and something that happens. The rest of the world tries to hide from death, they don't face it Davaar! That is one of the ills of the modern world. I put it down to the military origins of civil aviation (and those suggesting that death is as common in all areas of life as in military aviation are talking crap). The exception is the terrorist attacks on the world trade centre. I seem to remember commenting on it at the time.

As for the rest of what I said - I was pointing out that it was a defensible argument. Any organisation that tries to sell garbage to children, get them hooked on fat and salt, while trying to disguise the health damage could easily be argued to be making profit from causing heart attacks in other people. I did not say I agreed with this,, but it is a strong argument.

SawThe Light
19th Apr 2004, 21:21
Geez, hope I don't get that healthy.

STL

Mr Chips
19th Apr 2004, 21:30
Any organisation that tries to sell garbage to children

I would argue about calling the food "garbage" but won't. I will however point out that McDs have changed the options available with happy meals - water/ fruit juice/fruit bags etc

get them hooked on fat and salt,

I think this came up with the obesity argunments recently. McDs are not forcing this food onto the children THE PARENTS ARE

Whatever your views on McDs, I still don't feel that there is much humour in this mans death...

Of course, should there be a forthcoming bash in Bournemouth.. I wonder if the McDs will still be open after the pub shuts!!!!

Mr Chips, shake and apple pie

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 21:34
Come on SC, you're getting dangerously close to saying those porkers who are looking to sue McD's and the like for "duping" them into eating tonnes of pure fat, actually have a a case!!
Where does it end? Tabacco and drink companies etc? There is always a choice.

I was a commercial pilot for 30 years and I don't buy your argument about Pilots and black humour. We never faced death every day in the air! The biggest risk was always driving to and from the airport!

tony draper
19th Apr 2004, 21:35
One could just eat a Big Mac, right now,hmm have to settle for some toast.
Tiz human nature were big macs to cost 300 bucks a throw all the food luvvies and crittics would be waxing lyrical about em.
How anybody can drone on about the delights of a plate of dead gastrods smeared in garlic butter to give the revolting mess some taste,or wiffle on about tasteless very expensive cack like lobster, yet knock ones humble Big Mac,I dunno, as someone has already stated it has a lot more to do with snobbery than anything else.
One remains a man of simple tastes.

:rolleyes:

A very slim man of simple tastes incidently.

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2004, 21:36
As I said (if you bother to read my posts) I would be reluctant to put forward this argument. However, can you really defend advertising junk food specifically to children? The parents don't force it on their children. Mostly parents are just pathetic and unable in our society to say "no" to their children. Advertising makes the kids want to eat crap.

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 21:42
SC, how can you say that? I always read your posts!!

I never would have taken you for a supporter of the "Nanny state?"

Rich Lee
19th Apr 2004, 21:50
I think it is terrible that the Euro-McDonalds folks entice young children with a clown like some latter day Pied Piper, performs a psychological kidnapping, and forces them to eat McDonalds food against their will. The children are helpless. Can't the parents do anything?

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 21:58
That Ronald McDonald is evil I tells ya!

He'll make your kids fat only so he can take them later and use them later for cheap meat for the burgers....

He MUST be stopped....

Kids want sprouts, cabbabge and Broccoli!

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2004, 22:04
I never would have taken you for a supporter of the "Nanny state?"Yes, and if you read my posts, you will see it is an argument I would be reluctant to put forward. That is why. hence I pointed out that you had not read my post.

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 22:06
But SC darling, I always DO read your posts, they're the highlight of my day!!

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2004, 22:08
Ah, they're just a little over your head, eh?

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 22:13
Yes dear....:{ :{

You're so cruel in front of your PPRuNe friends.....:{

spork
19th Apr 2004, 22:26
Now now children - Ronald will come and get you if you don't behave... :)

Send Clowns
19th Apr 2004, 22:32
There, there, 1W22.

I'd be more worried about the purple blob thing, spork :ooh:

OneWorld22
19th Apr 2004, 22:33
I'd be more worried about the purple blob thing, spork

Agreed, now he really f***ing scares me!!

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2004, 23:08
Is this the Bizarro thread?

I actually agree with SC and West Coast calls National Public Radio a "worthwhile project"
With Joan Krocs passing a large fortune went to worthwhile charities and projects.

:E

Davaar
19th Apr 2004, 23:46
Mr Lee:

I believe it is part of the corporate doctrine from Hamburger University. It reads Send Clowns.

West Coast
20th Apr 2004, 00:45
SC

Except on a few issues of revisionary history I find myself in agreement with you on most issues, here we differ. I also am a professional pilot and find little of the gallows humor you refer to. I fly a hell of a lot and find pilots no more or less affected by death.
I'm still not sure if you are simply defending your sense of humor or damning McD's along with others who cant control themselves and need to blame someone else.

Onan
I wasn't aware of the funding for NPR. Its not my cup of tea, but it is a worthwhile cause. When Joan Kroc passed she gave away most of her $1.7 billion fortune, including 1.5 billion of it to the Salvation Army.

Onan the Clumsy
20th Apr 2004, 01:42
WC That's true. I had forgotten the Salvation Army bequest. I know NPR just got a big bequest too and I thought it was from Mrs. Kroc.

Just checked and it was $200 milion back in November.

NPR is my primary station, but the local affiliate is dreadful and run by talentles hacks. I listen to a college station from up in Denton when I'm in my office as the j-box there will pick it up.

Buster Hyman
20th Apr 2004, 02:29
Sorry Chuks. Have to disagree. I think there is a distinctive taste to Maccas around the world. I think it's the cheese.

And to all those cynical jokers making light of this...I hope you're McHappy!!!:ouch:

(Edit: I just read that the new CEO was born in Oz! Finally, beetroot, fried onion & eggs on Maccas around the world!)

gatfield
20th Apr 2004, 03:29
Having been a member of the Anti- Mac brigade for some time ( I don't like cutural imperialism) - I must admit I found it rather amusing a couple of years ago when I was driving pass a
Mc Donald's and saw some guy being carried out on a stretcher.

The food'll do it ta ya.............

Ok I laughed, I'm a bad person..............

West Coast
20th Apr 2004, 04:02
Cultural imperialism huh,

Well I'm here to tell you that the natives are friendly in the conquered lands. US dollars may have perhaps paid to open the door to that burger joint, but its locals that keep it open. If you have been conquered, its been willingly.

gatfield
20th Apr 2004, 05:16
Ahhh West Coast if only life was that simplsitic.

You wouldn't be American would you?;)

angels
20th Apr 2004, 06:35
I have occasionally eaten McDonalds. Not really my 'cup of tea' but if there's nothing else available, so be it.

When I lived in Hong Kong the places were banged out by locals, not gweilo.

In the Kowloon Cruise Terminal, one was served by a friendly creature who's name badge claim,ed she was called 'Vagina'.

I kid you not.

Animalclub
20th Apr 2004, 07:06
As Mel Brooks said last night on TV (in Australia) "There is humour in every subject" or words to that effect. I agree.

People say that I lost my wife in 1999. No I didn't... she died... and I believe I know where she is.

Aileron Roll
20th Apr 2004, 07:35
its very simple people, if you don't want it, don't buy it !

DishMan
20th Apr 2004, 08:38
Fudruckers
:E

IB4138
20th Apr 2004, 09:03
It has been announced on a radio station here, that as a tribute to their late CEO, MacD's are selling a double quarter pounder with cheese and fries for 1.99

You want it when?
20th Apr 2004, 09:03
It must be all doom and gloom in the SC household.

SC - "I'm off to work, I..., I... may not be coming back"

Still at least YWIW junior can have his weekly McD treat without some neo-health type stoning my car. Actually due to the availability of Scooby toys he prefers KFC at the moment.

My condolances to the family.

tony draper
20th Apr 2004, 09:17
This thread has convinced one to seek out and devour a Big Mac today.
Yummy.

Slim20
20th Apr 2004, 09:44
Yes, TD I shamelessly took one of the junior Slims to the Golden Arches as a mark of respect for its dearly departed CEO.

Unfortunately I was not aware of many black armbands, cutprice burgers and the like - I imagine the spotty adolescents who run such establishments have a similar fatalistic, devil-may-care attitude towards death as indeed we professional pilots do:} .

I shall now tempt the Fates by going to work. I bid you all adieu.

QNIM
20th Apr 2004, 09:53
Gday Aileron Roll
No way, but I notice those types that waddle out the door, in one hand a bucket of french fry's and in the other a thick shake thats almost finished before exiting the premises.
I only have to walk past and my colestrol skyrockets.
Cheers Q :p

Aileron Roll
20th Apr 2004, 14:00
QNIM
I hear you man, my colestrol goes through the roof also, but god it tastes good !

West Coast
20th Apr 2004, 14:59
Gatfield

It really is that easy. Have enough will power and principal to avoid the icons of Americana you find so abhorrent. If your countrymen feel the same then the laws of capitalism will work to your advantage. If they dont feel the same you at least know you stuck to your guns. Culture is not static, but a work in progress. The snapshot you take take today does not always reflect what's appropriate tomorrow.

The only thing that doesn't make it easy is blaming someone or something else for your problems.

tony draper
20th Apr 2004, 15:06
Get some Simvastin pills off yer quack, one's colestoral plummeted so low one had to be admitted to Hospital for a colestoral transfusion.

chuks
20th Apr 2004, 17:33
I cannot say that the burgers taste the same everywhere, just that they taste the same everywhere I have eaten them. It could well be that they taste different in some of the places I have never been. Or perhaps it is that my taste buds have degraded along with everything else. In fact, it would be surprising to find oneself with the taste buds of a teenager when the rest of one is mired in middle age.

I don't usually go for the cheese, though; I order my double quarter-pounders without and then I tell them not to put salt on the jumbo fries either and to go light on the mayonnaise. It's very important to follow a healthy diet when you get to my age.

I like that insolent approach to tragedy and loss. We had to bury our cat the other day. It took two hours, clawing and scratching....

Coconuts
20th Apr 2004, 19:29
Christ SC

Much as I'm fond of you I hate when you get on your soapbox about this 'death' subject.

Coco

Onan the Clumsy
21st Apr 2004, 00:56
You're all a bunch of heartless [email protected]@rds!

I bet you want to laugh at Alvin Kernshaw too don't you? He wrote the hokey cokey song and he died last week too. Apparently, preparations for the funeral were going ok until they tried to put him in the coffin. I think they should have known better than to start with the left leg. :}

airship
21st Apr 2004, 12:44
Yeah! You talkin' 'bout my long lost daddy Jim Cantalupo? Was Jimmy in the Himalayas in 1960? 16's old enough to be a daddy!

I take back everything I said bad about McDonalds. I was over-wrought wiv' grief. I'm thin on top too! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3639607.stm) Maybe a couple of shades darker but that would be normal, Nepalese genes are obviously more powerful than American ones :O

a is dum
21st Apr 2004, 12:53
Chucks,

The taste enhancers are adjusted to the actual taste of the local beef to ensure there is a predicatable taste not to put the Customers of eating in a foreign place.
Similarly the fat contents is controlled at a set minimum. Pardon, I mean maximum.

MacDo does more (screwing around) with its food for the happy customers. :ok: