PDA

View Full Version : Help required - car accident

hkwannabe101
19th Apr 2004, 10:43
Hi all,

Had a slight bump the other day, one could say that it was my fault as I drove into the back of the other car, but I would not have done this had the other car not stopped abruptly for no reason......anyway.

I am willing to pay for the scratches to be touched up on his very expensive german car, but I fear that he will only go the dealer from where he purchased tha car, and I will get screwed by the cost.

So, my question is, can I ask him to go and get one or two more quotes that might be a bit more reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your help guys

hkw101

On the pos side I was on my way back from the Gapan aptitude testing, and I got HIGH! :}

WeatherJinx
19th Apr 2004, 10:55
HKWannabee..

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but if it was my expensive German car, I'd want the repair to be done by a main dealer too. However, it's reasonable for you to ask him to get at least one alternative quote - he may even agree to an estimate from one of the 'chip repair' outfits like Chips Away. These can be quite effective where there is no need for a panel repaint (especially on solid colours); indeed I believe the dealers themselves sometimes use them.

Unfortunately, I think you need to resign yourself to the fact that it's either be stung by cost of the dealer work now, or later on your policy renewal. In either event, I'd also take your brokers' advice - good luck!

Jx

hkwannabe101
19th Apr 2004, 11:03
Jx,

I guess you're right, I'll probably just pay for the fix in order to keep no claims and hope that it's not outrageous!

hkw101

Lukeafb1
19th Apr 2004, 12:45

Perhaps not what you want to hear, but I also own a "very expensive German car" (possibly the same make as the one you hit). When the same thing happened to me, I insisted that the small repair was carried out by the main dealer, only because, if there were any comebacks at a later date at least I was covered. And if you are talking about the same type of car, the main dealer will knock something off the part-exchange price if they can detect a repair has not been carried out by them, whether or not the car is back in A1 condition. That's also happened to me in the past.

Watchoutbelow
19th Apr 2004, 13:18
Went to a dealership the other day to sell my car and they had this little gimmicky sensor that could detect if there had been any Paint jobs done on her, which have knocked a few quid off had there hof been.

Unfortunately for you, if you bumped into me and it was entirely your fault I would insist it was painted at a dealership or my resale value on the car could go down significantly.
However if the guy has a shred of decency he will shop around, Its a pain in the ass when someone slams on the breaks, I am convinced some people want you to rearend them!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but congratulations on the othr thing all the same!

witchdoctor
19th Apr 2004, 13:50
Shame your situational awareness and pilot's reflexes didn't save the day. Will you be applying to Ryanair once you have your licence?;)

Worse things happen at sea you know.