PDA

View Full Version : Strange roadsigns

Bre901
18th Apr 2004, 22:07
I remember driving with my dad through Honister Pass in the Lake District, in the early 70s. The roadsigns at the top were quite impressing.
IIRC, first there was the standard steep downhill warning

"1:4"

then 100 yards later

"LOW GEAR NOW"

then another 100 yards later, where the slope started going down really steep (car idling in first gear at 5500 rpm ! )

"YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED" :uhoh:

Could someone tell me if these posts still exist ?

Thanks in advance

Jerricho
18th Apr 2004, 22:12
Can't confirm that one, but I'll never forget driving past a MOD area just off the A3 south of Guildford. Was quite amused to see a warning sign with a tank on it. Was really funny till I came round the corner and nearly ran into one that was driving very slowly along the road.

answer=42
18th Apr 2004, 22:13
There is a sign on a steep hill in the Ardennes which says, in English,
'Remember your brakes'

spekesoftly
18th Apr 2004, 22:16
Can't help with a definite answer, but this (http://borrowdale.xirin.com/borrowdale-43.htm) might amuse.

chiglet
18th Apr 2004, 22:38
Went down the A38? in Devon....A big hill, [Unsuitable for Caravans], so I followed the "recommended" route.....which was denifenitely NOT a caravan route.
Fortunately I was "solo":ok:
Who does these fudgin' signs anyway???
watp,iktch

Charlie Foxtrot India
19th Apr 2004, 06:38
One near here says "Breeding Tortoises Crossing" but the sign has only one tortoise pictured :confused:

*crunch* oops :uhoh:

Whirlygig
19th Apr 2004, 09:40
Driving on a winding, country road in Ireland (Donegal), the word "SLOW" was painted on the road just before a bend. At the next bend, also "SLOW". As I came to the next, it said "SLOWER".

That was me told!

Cheers

Whirlygig

BigGreenPleasureMachine
19th Apr 2004, 15:36
Whirlygig, there are loads of signs in Donegal which read ' Road Bends' or similar. Interesting bearing in mind that there isn't a straight stretch road anywhere in that fine county:D

BlooMoo
19th Apr 2004, 16:31
Drove down a slip road onto the M40 yesterday and saw one with a big "70" on it. Bizarre.

BM

davehearn
19th Apr 2004, 17:51
saw one on the m1 last night .... you know the big new yellow ones it said----- DONT DRIVE TRIED----- so how many convicted fellons where on the mi last night? and also did it mean that everyone on the hard shoulder was a criminal?
:p dave

chuks
19th Apr 2004, 18:31
I was touring parts of the UK a couple of summers ago, when I would always see these warning signs: 'Pub Food'. What, did some biker lose the front end on a chip butty?

WX Man
19th Apr 2004, 18:47
"Racing of horse drawn vehicles prohibited".

A27 outside Littlehampton :8

fishtits
19th Apr 2004, 19:46
SLOW
CHILDREN
CROSSING

I always thought that was a bit mean...:rolleyes:

FT

Drap-air
19th Apr 2004, 22:45
BigGreenPleasureMachine

Interesting bearing in mind that there isn't a straight stretch road anywhere in that fine county

i stand to correct you. The road into Dunfanaghy is the straightest-est road in ireland.

However, at 140mph+ the bumps can be rather hairy!! Be warned!

And before anyone has a go at me for doing 140mph, i would like to inform you that i was in no fit state to walk!

Only kidding:ouch: :ouch:

'Heavy Plant Crossing' - always confused me! Always slowed down so I could get a glimpse of a heavy plant, not spotted one as yet!

gatfield
20th Apr 2004, 04:36
I will never forget this sign - saw it somewhere in the Rocky mountains in Colorado - it had the name of the town, elevation , population, then total. Yes it added the two figures!

Gainesy
20th Apr 2004, 08:39
Always thought those "Please drive carefully through our village" signs are totally pointless. And twee.:yuk:

ck4707
20th Apr 2004, 09:15
Many years ago I came out of the ocean terminal at Southampton docks.

Facing the gates was a large sign saying "Welcome to Southampton, The Gateway to England".

Beneath it was a road sign saying "One Way Street"

a is dum
20th Apr 2004, 10:14
Did that not read "Dead End Street?" :}

Smeagol
20th Apr 2004, 10:15
In many places out here in the UAE there are signs which say:

"Beware of Road Surprises"

Anyone whose has ever driven here will know that it is good advice - the driving standards are appalling and the country hass one of the highest fatal accident rates in the world.

ck4707
20th Apr 2004, 11:05
a is dum

Maybe the good people of Southampton knew something in the early 1970's that we are just learning !!

Approach_plate
20th Apr 2004, 11:10
Not a road sign but a different sign is the one that welcomes you to Jedda intl in Saudi. It reads:-

If this is your first vist to Saudi Arabia, you are welcome to it.

Couple of good'uns

sign 1 (http://www.businessballs.com/images/funnysignsign.jpg)

for the boy racers (http://personal.computrain.nl/eylard/Events/Atlanta/FunnySign2.JPG)

Drap-air
20th Apr 2004, 12:09
At a local mc'donalds - "Parking for Drive Thru customers only"

Unwell_Raptor
20th Apr 2004, 12:16
On the Autoroute, heading down to the Med last year, the gantry signs read:-

"Levez le Pied
La Mer ne va pas evaporer"

Sailor Vee
20th Apr 2004, 17:19
Cross here the warnings on the road read from bottom to top, as in:-

TURN
RIGHT
NO

or,

CROSSING
SCHOOL
SLOW

always strikes me as strange:rolleyes:

TopBunk
20th Apr 2004, 18:05
Anyone else get p!ssed off with the BABY ON BOARD brigade?

What do they think I'm going to do? With that sign do they think I'm going to drive further back? Do they think I intend to ram anyone without the sign in the back bumper?

:* :yuk:

Tree
21st Apr 2004, 04:48
Mine says: VASECTOMY ON-BOARD.

John Eacott
21st Apr 2004, 07:41
This one always amused, although Kent County Council were forever replacing the thing as it was stolen on a weekly basis!

Ham Sandwich (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Ham%20Sandwich%20small.jpg)

SLF3
21st Apr 2004, 07:57
On a railway station platform in Essex, UK: don't know if it is still there:

Manningtree: Gateway to Europe and the Continent

CoodaShooda
21st Apr 2004, 08:25
Very clever three dimensional billboard for our local (government owned) wildlife park was in the form of a large python wrapped around and partially crushing the sign itself.

Even cleverer were the souvenir collectors who made off with the first three signs, each having been installed with increasingly complex anti-theft measures.

The fourth sign is a two dimensional replica...a mere shadow of the original but set deeply in concrete and welded/bolted/chained in place.:rolleyes:

Oh and watch where you drop that match......we like our lizards frilled - not grilled :ok:

ShyTorque
21st Apr 2004, 09:21
Baby On Board? So what, I've seen loads of babies before.

One road sign I've never understood is this one:

"Oncoming vehicles in middle of road".

Why don't they put a sign for traffic coming the other way:

"Don't drive in middle of road?"

taffman
21st Apr 2004, 09:42
The police always seem to have bad drivers working for them as they always seem to be having lots of accident. The blue sign next to the road side saying 'Police Accident'. :p

Maxflyer
21st Apr 2004, 11:26
Show Dogs In Transit....

What about the poor mongrels who want to go out for a drive?

Dop
21st Apr 2004, 11:54
Worse than the 'BABY ON BOARD' signs are the twee PC versions.

"SMALL PERSON ON BOARD"

What, there's a dwarf in the car?

Heatseeker
21st Apr 2004, 12:13
Saw one of those speed advisory signs in Tassie once, the ones they place before you go into a bend - it said 65 KPH. Only thing was this one was all bent and battered and someone had crossed out the 65 and written underneath 55 :ouch: :ouch:

Drap-air
21st Apr 2004, 12:14
There is a motorway around dublin which, on the wrong side of the road has a sign displaying something along the lines of 'Stop - You are travelling in the wrong direction'.

A further few miles up the road there is the exact same sign again, just incase you missed the first one and haven't caught on that all the other cars are going in the oppposite direction!

gatfield
21st Apr 2004, 14:36
I was told the baby on board signs were originally introduced in case there was a car accident the resuers knew to look for a baby amongst the mangled car.

Not sure about the small person one. Who knows!

Dockjock
21st Apr 2004, 17:48
Calgary, AB on road just south of the airport.

LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT EMERGENCY STOPPING ONLY, followed by traffic lights 500m ahead.

ratsarrse
21st Apr 2004, 19:31
Driving down the M5 last year, a couple of those matrix thingies had the speed limit as '80.' I was so surprised that I did actually slow down to 80 for a bit...

simon brown
21st Apr 2004, 20:04
Theres one somewhere that simply reads " Do not throw stones at this sign"