PDA

View Full Version : Air rage again

little-paddy
18th Apr 2004, 17:32
What wass this little plonker up to?

From rte.ie/news:

A man is due before Limerick district court this evening following a disturbance on a plane flying from Belfast to Spain yesterday.

An hour into the flight from Belfast International Airport, the aircraft diverted to Shannon International Airport when the crew reported the disturbance.

The man, understood to be a 48-year-old from Ballymena, Co Antrim, was arrested by Garda' and airport police when the flight landed.

The aircraft later resumed its journey to Spain.

There should be mandatory sentences of 5 years for these types. Sorry but it makes my blood boil.

:*

Notso Fantastic
18th Apr 2004, 18:18
Let's think about this carefully...........er........alcohol?

dontdoit
18th Apr 2004, 18:50
Anyone know which airline?

fintan
19th Apr 2004, 07:22
MY TRAVEL MYT921.

takenthe5thamendment
19th Apr 2004, 08:50
Funny old thing, I was discussing air rage with a colleague recently and it transpires that she has a criminal record for the offence.

It happened on a flight to UK from Spain where she was more than slightly inebriated and was annoyed by the disturbance of some children on the flight.
She asked for, and was refused an upgrade, despite there being seats available.
She then became verbally abusive.
I am shocked and appalled at her behaviour and the subsequent sentence – 18 months probation…………hardly a deterrent!

To work in our profession we have to obtain and be in possession of a current CRB which is checked when we enter different hospitals.
She recently went to a place who actually said ‘Oh, air rage, that’s ok!’

Seems that the offence is not taken seriously enough and this is reflected not only in her punishment, but also in the attitudes of some of the general public.

fintan
19th Apr 2004, 14:51
It beats me to understand why some plonker has wasted all this money on a holiday to throw it all away!

B Sousa
19th Apr 2004, 14:59
Maybe Airlines should look back a bit. I certainly remember when there were small lounge areas on planes where folks gathered for cocktails and enjoyed flights. Aisle Carts didnt break your legs and the little kinders4its didnt beat on the back of your seat. Parents controlled them. Seats by the way had some legroom.. I also dont remember many fat A**es spilling over in my seat.
If they are going to ship you air freight instead of comfort, maybe a pill so you can be containerized without problems.
Im sure some will say if you dont like it get an upgrade. Not an option for a lot of travelling folks. There again years ago who wanted an upgrade, we were all treated well.

Hamrah
19th Apr 2004, 15:12
There is another rather disturbing element about this case.
Having the crew members name released ( presumably by either the police or by a court reporter) in a relatively small community could endanger her from relatives or friends of the accused.

Not good.

H

etrang
19th Apr 2004, 15:51
Was the crew member's name released?

PAXboy
19th Apr 2004, 16:02
B Sousa, What you say is true but I think the ddecline in public behaviour is nothing that is going to change in the next 40 years or so (certainly my lifetime :sad: ).

If they gave more footroom and so forth - nothing would change. On the other hand, smokers might benefit from nicotine patches. ;)

Hamrah
19th Apr 2004, 20:58
Yes, it was released, and mentioned in both the newspaper and in flyer2042's post, before he kindly edited it out.

Thanks

B Sousa
20th Apr 2004, 13:44
Paxboy writes:"decline in public behaviour is nothing that is going to change in the next 40 years or so (certainly my lifetime )."

Your so right on this one. As they say" some folks are alive today only because its illegal to kill them..........." I guess its a matter of too many folks flying whose Family Tree have few Branches.......

little-paddy
20th Apr 2004, 13:46
Man sentenced over air rage incident

20 April 2004 12:37
A 48-year-old Ballymena man has been given two suspended sentences of three months and ordered to pay fines of €1,700 for an air rage incident on board a flight which was forced to land at Shannon last Saturday afternoon.

Micahel McEllion, of 94 Dunclug Gardens in Ballymena, pleaded guilty at Tulla District Court today to assault, to being drunk and engaging in threatening and abusive behaviour.

bealine
20th Apr 2004, 22:12
It beats me to understand why some plonker has wasted all this money on a holiday to throw it all away!

......Probably the Council has paid for his holiday so they can redecorate the Council House while he's away!