PDA

View Full Version : FTC George?

Stassiebal
18th Apr 2004, 17:26
Hello Everyone,

I just got hold of the latest World Airnews and it was good to be able to page through and catch up with things going on back in SA again.

I was hoewever a little bit surprised when I saw an ad for FTC (George) in the back. I had a look at the website and there it was "Flight Training College (George)". Still offering the JAR's and everything! www.flighttraining.co.za

Now I don't have any experience with FTC and I don't intend to after all I read on these Forums, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is the same people running the George operation? I also don't want this to develop into a thread where everyone just slates the school. Just want to know if it is the same people or not!

I found it quite interesting to see they ar going again.

Regards,
Deán

Gunship
18th Apr 2004, 17:43
I also don't want this to develop into a thread where everyone just slates the school.

:ok: Thanks for that ! :D

GormanInkarnati
18th Apr 2004, 18:21
For the record - FTC (George) has no ties whatsoever with the now dead and buried FTC that used to operate from FAGC.

As to claims of JAR training at FTC (George), I doubt that. Feel free to check the UK CAA website for their approved training institutions.

Regards

GI

George Tower
19th Apr 2004, 13:57
As my nick indicates I do have some connection to George. I did my PPL flight Test at FTC George - Wally Waldeck who is a SAA training captain owns the school.

I think that FAGG has a great flight environment to train - as its not as busy as FACT but you still need to know your RT. George is as stunningly beautiful a place as anywhere in SA. My opinion is that the town is a bit dead as a place.....but that's fine if you wanna focus on flying.

As for the JAA approval - that is probably the most misused words in the world. To my knowledge they don't do JAR training but then I don't think anywhere else in SA does either.

silverknapper
20th Apr 2004, 13:43
FTC George does not conduct JAA approved training period.
But what a place to do a PPL, awesome!

Stassiebal
20th Apr 2004, 18:07
They do advertise it on their website though.....

I gues I should e-mail them and find out the whole story before saying anything. Sure they will be able to clear it up!

Deán

silverknapper
20th Apr 2004, 21:01
Do that if you like mate but I'm telling you they don't. Phone our CAA and ask and try listening to people who know.

George Tower
21st Apr 2004, 09:16
I think the only reason that they get away with it is that it is a very tenuous link to JAR training they once had a long time ago with a company based in Coventry whose name escapes me.

Basically under modular JAR training an ICAO PPL and 95 hours P1 time allowed you to go on the next stage. Therefore any school in any ICAO country could say they offer "JAR Training" - slightly misleading me thinks:ugh:

silverknapper
21st Apr 2004, 10:37
The old FTC at mid rand did this years ago apparently. They flew a mate of mine over promising JAA training but when he arrived found out was doing an SA PPL and indeed nothing was officially approved by anyone!