PDA

View Full Version : ME/IR before CPL??

Foz2
18th Apr 2004, 15:11
Hi,

Ive just completed my PPL and am currently wading through the ATPLs with Bristol. I am thinking about my next move as regards flying training and was wondering whether doing the ME/IR before the CPL would be a bad idea? I believe there is a cost saving if you do it that way?? I would probably do an IMC during my hours building to warm up for he IR.

If anyone has done the MEIR first Id really appreciate their input on the pros and cons.

Cheers

Foz

NineEighteen
18th Apr 2004, 15:20
I don't have a CPL or an IMC but recently started my IR training. I'll let you know how it goes but seems ok so far. Check here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103702) for more opinions.

Good luck with the ATPL's.

mad_jock
18th Apr 2004, 16:03
I also did my MEP/IR first. without an IMC

It was many due to crap wx that i did it this way round.

There is a small saving but if you need any extra training or get a partial all the savings will have disappeared in less than 3 hours time in a twin.

The IMC is a good start as long as your flying with someone that isnt going to give you bad habits. You would be better getting your MEP training done before you start the IR, you don't actually need to sit the test. Depending on the school they will combine this with your 170A.

MJ

Julian
19th Apr 2004, 09:40
I did my IR before the CPL and my ME as part of my CPL check ride. As the CPL is a VFR check ride I would not have thought it would make much difference to you , however, having said that I did find that my flying vastly improved post IR as they hammer home holding your altitudes and headings, it is also a good confidence builder.

As regards the IMC, if you are intending to do the IR then I wouldnt bother with it and just go stright for the IR.

Megaton
19th Apr 2004, 09:43
I think there is a much more natural progression from CPL to IR than vice versa. It is obviously not impossible to do the IR first but there seems to be little sense in doing the hard stuff first then progressing on to the easier VFR CPL. Better to hone your overall piloting skills with the cheaper and easier CPL.....IMHO that is!

Hufty
19th Apr 2004, 10:15
I did my ME and IR first too and already held an IMC. I was attracted to the cost savings, but I think the reduction in minimum hours for the CPL from 25 to 15 is quite generous. I wasn't ready for my CPL test after 15 hours of dual so the additional hours I flew wiped out most of the cost savings.

I thought that having the IMC was helpful as I already knew most of the theory, but it will probably work out more expensive doing an IMC first as it might save you a few hours on the IR but probably not enough to justify the cost of the IMC if you know what I mean.

I was happy with the way I did it though and found my flying became a lot more accurate after the IR which set the scene well for the CPL.

Hufty.