PDA

View Full Version : Broad Band And Two Computers

Capn Notarious
18th Apr 2004, 09:36
In my lurkation there are two computers, on two different levels.
For the purpose of broad band.
Is the connection chain, modem then computer( with sole PC)
But for two PC's modem hub / splitter with two feeds one to each pooter.
Or does one PC become primary and the other is plugged in, so to speak.

What are the potential problems?

ORAC
18th Apr 2004, 10:24
Up to you, it can work either way.

The best solution is to plug the ADSL modem into a router and with your log in details in the router. The PCs then plug into the router. The advantages are that the PCs operate independently so that neither requires the other to be on. You can also share files and resources such as printers. The other advantages are that routers will often have a built in firewall. You will need a network card in each PC, and an ADSL modem which has a network port.

More expensive options:

Get a wireless router and a wireless card for the PC upstairs, then you won't have to run cable around the house. The other PC can still connect to the router by cable.

Replace the ADSL modem with a combined router/modem or wireless/router/modem, that way you only need one box. I use the Netgear DG834G (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/202-6706830-4592644) wireless/router/modem at about £95. you can get cheaper ones at about £70 and router/modems for about £40 - see here (http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm#304TA).

The cheapest option, if you are running XP, is to connect the two PCs via network cards and cable or wireless network cards and to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). The downside is that it requires the machine connected to the modem to be on if you want to connect with the other machine.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
18th Apr 2004, 18:37
Definitely go fo a separate, dedicated firewall, either hardware one built into your router, as per ORAC, or a software one running on and old PC, if you have one (a P-90 will be perfectly adequate -- yes, a p-90 is not a typo :cool: , running www.smoothwall.org (http://www.smoothwall.org/) or www.ipcop.org (http://www.ipcop.org/) )

windy1
18th Apr 2004, 19:43
Orac

Can you expand on your advice a little?

I have NTL Broadband: the cable modem connects directly to the upstairs desktop puter. Desktop runs W2000 and has a VPN connection to my remote company network. This runs OK with Norton AV on the desktop.

Now daughter No 1 with her Sony laptop running XP Home wants to share my broadband connection. Questions:

(1) Can W2000 do ICS with XP?
(2) What sort of wireless router to buy?
(3) I am told that NTL don't like sharing on their residential lines in case customers get ideas about setting up internet caffs, so they "do things" to make it difficult.
(3) The techies at the office say there may be problems if I maintain the VPN connection whilst sharing.

ORAC
18th Apr 2004, 21:14
1. yes, Win 2K can do ICS, see Here (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics_win2k_client.htm).

2. Any one you like.

3. Some IPs will only accept one MAC address, that's the advantage of using a router, it gives it's MAC address and you can hang up to 254 PCs on in the back of it, I don't think you'll exceed that...

4. VPN is a matter between each PC, the router and the internet, additional PCs connected to the router are not a concern. Just make sure you buy a suitable router with a multiple VPN capability. e.g. see here. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C0XS0/104-6815462-0877559?v=glance)

FJJP
19th Apr 2004, 07:40
I can't advise you on the VPN - no experience. About 6 months ago I set up a wireless network at home. My main PC runs W2000 and is hard wired to a D-Link wireless router. My wife's PC runs on W98 and has a wireless card link to the router. My laptop, on WinXP has a plug-in wireless card. The broadland line plugs into the router and all 3 can simultaneously access the net.

Each computer has its own firewall and virus software [Norton].

As far as the ISP is concerned, there is only one line to the house - the sharing is all done in the setup on the internal network. By sharing drives, I can also access everything on every computer from any other machine - big advantage, because I don't waste disk space with duplication [access controlled by giving permissions].

Best plan is to find a small, local, independant computer shop, manned be people who know what they're doing. I'm lucky, I have a local Antechs store. I wouldn't touch the big retailers with a bargepole - most of the 'assistants' don't, because they are trained to take money out of your wallet, not to give expert tech advice.

Worthwhile doing a search on this forum [wireless?] - there have been a number of excellent posts on the subject in the past year.

Saab Dastard
19th Apr 2004, 18:01
(2) What sort of wireless router to buy?

You need to get one that is for a cable modem such as you have with NTL, rather than an ADSL modem / router. I recommend that you combine the wireless router with a firewall - I use a NetGear device.

(3) I am told that NTL don't like sharing on their residential lines in case customers get ideas about setting up internet caffs, so they "do things" to make it difficult.

There really is no impediment to connecting a home network to the cable modem. I'm using Telewest and have no problems.

With Cable broadband, you will generally have a MAC address registered with the IP address assigned by your ISP. This will be the Hardware MAC address of your PC Network Card (NIC) - which could be an Ethernet-USB device or plain Ethernet.

Using a router, you need to either assign the router the same MAC address as your NIC (easiest solution) or register an alternate MAC address (the hardware MAC address of the router) with your ISP.

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Apr 2004, 02:07
Capn Notarious,

I thought I would jump in and make it unanimous with Broadband Router as your best option. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Wonderflug
23rd Apr 2004, 19:19
HELP!!

I have a Laptop and 2 desktop PC's fitted with 802.11b wireless network cards. ( LUCKY BOY I hear you say!)

But no........

I can do the usual file and printer sharing stuff, however......

When I install the W LAN card drivers on to the internet connected PC, things go a bit wonky..

I can connect to the internet using Tiscali Broadband, but Internet explorer won't download any web pages and just gives a DNS error and server not found excuse. If I de-install the W-LAN card drivers all becomes OK. This is all on the PC with the original broadband connection.

Any ideas?

Sorry to butt in by the way but desparation took hold......

25F
25th Apr 2004, 12:12
windy1, I am also an NTL cable user in Cambridge. My advice is
1) don't bother with ICS, get a router
2) I tend to set up my customers with Linksys kit - you can get a wireless router for about 50 quid from Amazon these days
3) I believe the official line from NTL is that you may connect up to three computers; in practice it is beyond their control
4) To set up VPN through the router you will probably have to set up port forwarding on the router. You will probably not need a (more expensive) "VPN router" - what they can do is provide VPN access for all the machines connected at your end: probably not what you want. Basically, this all depends on what VPN you are using and how it has been set up at the other end.

Further points: this business of cloning the MAC address no longer applies with NTL.
Have a good look at this page and bookmark it now:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

In my opinion the simple firewalling provided by the low-end routers is sufficient for this sort of installation - however I always recommend the installation of a software firewall on each PC as well, to protect against when your mate brings his infected laptop round to the house and plugs it into the network.

If you get a wireless router, make sure to set up the WEP keys - out of the box most of them seem to be completely open to everybody. In fact a badly configured wireless VPN router is one of the scariest thoughts I've had in a long time...

Lost_luggage34
25th Apr 2004, 12:15
Post up your router config and we can work it out.