PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL Distance Learning- NAC, OX or Bristol

Hopeful Pilot
17th Apr 2004, 17:17
I'm unsure which Distance Learning course to take. NAC is appealing because of the cost, though I get the impression that the quality of notes are lower than others. Bristol and Oxford look to be of higher quality, though Oxford is expensive.

Can anyone give feedback on experiences with JAA ATPL Distance Learning?

EGCC4284
17th Apr 2004, 17:31
This was my post from 16th July 2001 and BGS has
got 10 time's better since then

The Best ATPL Correspondence Material
Having visited the Manchester Flight Training Exhibition, & being interested in all of the ATPL correspondence courses available, I took the time to look at most of the exhibitor's coursework & material. I have come to the conclusion that the best package, with excellent illustrations & diagrams, accompanied by a CD-rom with moving illustration, is offered by Bristol Ground School.

Hope this is of interest to those of you contemplating starting a long distance learning course.

Read the link below

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4993

and this is a link for there web site

http://www.bristol.gs/

Best of luck

WX Man
18th Apr 2004, 13:14
If I was doing DL, starting tomorrow, I'd give my £££ to GTS in Bournemouth.

AppleMacster
18th Apr 2004, 22:34
I looked at several providers before settling on Bristol. The difference between them all is extraordinary. Some are only just "about to incorporate colour", for example, which some of the providers were very proud to tell me. Whether or not colour is an important inclusion for the student, Bristol is by far the most well-ordered and structured course. There is the bonus of the CD-ROM and the submission of progress tests via the internet. Of course, Oxford is on a par, but you pay for it.

However, be under no illusion that distance learning is a hard road. The discipline necessary to complete the course cannot be underestimated. As they say, you get out of it what you put into it.

AppleMacster

Charlie Zulu
19th Apr 2004, 07:22
Hi Hopeful Pilot,

Bristol Ground School has excellent notes and a great CD-ROM package to back it up.

However I ordered my module 1 from NAC last week. I have checked their notes out back last July and thought they were pretty good.

NAC's students have done pretty well in the exams so they must be doing something right.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks once I have got through a couple of weeks worth of work with the course.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

FlyingForFun
19th Apr 2004, 08:32
The single most important thing for a distance learning course is the quality of the notes. I'll back the others in saying that, for me, Bristol were the best, but that doesn't mean they will be the best for you. You should get a sample of the notes from all of the schools you are considering, and make up your own mind which are the clearest, most understandable and easiest to follow.

The next most important thing is the quality of the brush-up course. I don't know whether the schools would mind you sitting in on a class for an hour or so, but it doesn't harm to ask them.

FFF
----------------

Evilbob
19th Apr 2004, 08:52
Hi Hopeful,

I'd like to second GTS in Bournemouth. Only a small school but the notes and the support provided are very good. I am a more than satisfied customer. Don't discout them when you do your research just because they aren't Oxford or Bristol!

Best of Luck

Evilbob

VIRGA
19th Apr 2004, 13:31
Bristol! Also did alot of research and kept seeing the same name cropping up.

silverknapper
19th Apr 2004, 15:30
Can only agree with Bristol. Top notch back up, you feel that they really care about getting you through. Notes excellent, CD excellent, and I hear a new version has just been released which is even better.