PDA

View Full Version : What is a GIV pilot worth?

TAY 611
16th Apr 2004, 22:02
Flying a GIV as PIC on international ops PAC, EEU, MES, SPA and am also a TRE/TRI on the type. I have come from the Airlines and to be perfectly honest I am a little naive about pay and conditions in the business aircraft world. I hear so many conflicting stories about the going rate sooo all you well paid GIV pilots and operators whats the going salary rate on this type of operation for a bloke in my position?

High Volt
16th Apr 2004, 23:58
65K or 70K when you can spell.

TAY 611
17th Apr 2004, 00:24
Thanks Volts however Is that US, Pound, Rupiah or Peanuts? I might not be able to spell but I do have a rough idea on how to communicate.:}

FlyMD
17th Apr 2004, 06:40
Tay,

Sorry, but you are not quite asking the right question: your salary depends so much on what you are willing to do:

With a few exceptions, the really nice salaries on GIV and similar aircraft are paid either in the middle east (1 month on, 1month off IF you are lucky), or for a private client, with whom you will have to negotiate your working hours and conditions. I operate a similar class of aircraft, working 2 month for 1 month off, and get about 120k US tax free, but my customer expects a little bit more than my turning up 1 hour before block-off....

On the other hand, if you want to a) stay based in your country b) have a fixed scheduling with a monthly allowance of free days c) worry only about operating the controls as in the airlines, then you should expect to remain well below 100K US, mostly.

Tell you what: if I was a TRI/TRE on type (and I really want to be!) like you, I would not take a fixed contract anywhere, but go on the free-lance market. JAA and FAA operators of large business jet are really keen on finding qualified, presentable TRI/TRE's for a few days/weeks per year each.
The standard for a good TRE, willing and able to do OPC's, Checks of whatever you call them, is somewhere between 1000 and 1500 USD daily, and you can pretty much insist on the niceties like business class positioning and 5-star accomodation. A colleague of mine, TRE on the GV, who was not afraid to stay in Moscow or Harare for a few weeks at a time, grossed USD 325'000 last year! As a US resident, he had to pay taxes there, but was able to take all his expenses (USD 35000/year at flight safety for example) off his taxeable revenue... So not a bad deal, if you have and understanding wife, eh?

As a general rule, in business aviation, look at the work conditions first, and then determine a salary: there is much more to it than the aircraft type...

specialbrew
17th Apr 2004, 08:49
£75k sounds about right in Europe. But could range for £55k-£85K.

RED WINGS
18th Apr 2004, 23:14
you guys obviously dont work for the right people if thats all your taking home screw 2 months on 1 off who you working for try two weeks on two weeks off for bigger wedge then your talking!

AA717driver
20th Apr 2004, 06:04
flyMD--What is a TRE? Is that a training type?

I am furloughed airline and have no confidence in an employer to keep me on for the next 20 years on G550's. I'm definately keeping my ear to the ground on contract flying.

Thanks for the info! Cheers.TC

Dimbleby
21st Apr 2004, 10:11
The question really is....What is the price of standards and safety to someone who can afford to buy a GIV?

From the Crew point of view look at what the position requires in great detail and then quote.

But as a ballpark figure for a GIV Captaincy with a 'roster', club positioning, full aircraft maintenance package, and standard benefits..anything less than £85k (Sterling) and you are selling yourself short.

;)

Aesir
21st Apr 2004, 19:57
"AA717driver" assuming you´r not joking.

T.R.E. is a Type Rating Examiner, he´s needed to do LPC, licence proficiency checks. This is JAA lingo!

A TRE can only do proficiency checks on a particular type unlike a FE (Flight Examiner) who can do checks on type as well as initial PPL, CPL & IR check rides.

4x4
22nd Apr 2004, 12:46
Money is definately not the final answer in Corporate GA, all well and good working for some s**t hot IT company or some of our eastern european friends, if the company is either going bust or you are being constantly watched by some customs/ IRS outfit. And hence you end up permanently lookig for another job.

GA is very much looking at which shade of brown is it on the other side of the fence. The figures that have been quoted on other posts are fairly good ballpark, and most of the comments are very valid, if you are aiming at doing your own type rating, don't forget Savannah is not the only place to do a type rating, there are good prices to be had at Dallas, and also CAE in Dubai.