PDA

View Full Version : What would you have given this guy?

Brizzo
16th Apr 2004, 20:27
TYRE SLASHER SENT TO JAIL

A cyclist who went on a vehicle tyre slashing spree after becoming annoyed by motorists has been sentenced to 16 months in jail.

Ashley Carpenter caused 250,000 worth of damage when he punctured more than 1,728 car, lorry and van tyres last December.

Carpenter, of Boscombe, Dorset, was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court after pleading guilty to causing criminal damage.

The unemployed 37-year-old attacked 500 vehicles over a 10-day period, Bournemouth magistrates heard last month.

He embarked on the spree after one car nearly knocked him off his bike and another drenched him by driving through a puddle.

Recorder Stephen Lennard described the attacks as an " astonishing and extraordinary campaign".

He added: "The scale of the damage and the financial consequences of it are breathtaking."

Carpenter was eventually caught after police analysed CCTV footage

Bern Oulli
16th Apr 2004, 20:36
How about forcing him to work for Kwik Fit for a few years?

autosync
16th Apr 2004, 20:38
Would have given him the electric chair personally!

Some cyclists think they own the roads, without paying any road tax, not that I am against them, Sometimes some of them can be unbelievably arrogant , especially in cities, I have seen them go up and hit drivers cause they nearly killed themselves.

They are never going to win a game of chicken with a 40 foot truck

Fletchers Left Boot
16th Apr 2004, 20:39
at least the guy didnt get my car - he did one of the streets parallel to mine tho.

Reckon 16 months is about right.

ShyTorque
16th Apr 2004, 21:56
He deserved what he got. My car was done last year, but not by this mad t :mad: t. I hope they let his bike tyres down too.

However, also in the news this week was a man who drove into and killed a pedestrian whilst banned from driving. According to his passengers, he laughed and joked, said it didn't matter because it was "just a Kosovan" and refused to stop despite their pleas. He had a string of other motoring convictions.

He got just 5 months for failing to stop! Why not manslaughter or murder? But then it was "only one life", whereas the tyre slasher did damage worth 250,000, of course.

This country is rapidly going down the toilet. :ugh:

Jerricho
16th Apr 2004, 21:56
There was a urban myth getting about there was a local windscreen place in West London that paid a guy to go about and smash a few windscreens about the place to drum up some business. When things got slow, same thing would happen.

Loki
16th Apr 2004, 22:04
Autosync:

No such thing as road tax, it`s vehicle excise tax, and it goes straight to the chancellor.

However, I tend to agree, this bloke gives a bad name to us cyclists (I am also a motorist)

Bletchley
17th Apr 2004, 00:57
Something very anally retentive about that guy me thinks

seacue
17th Apr 2004, 01:44
Maybe the story about the smashed windscreens is a myth, but I'm sure I was victim of a somewhat similar scam on the island of Guadeloupe.

I had a rented Opel Corsa and the exterior driver's side rear vision mirror was stolen. I went back to the rental agency and they replaced it. The mirror just snapped it, no tools required. I had taken CDW, and of course the approx $75 cost was below the loss threshold.

I'm pretty sure this was a scam where blokes went around stealing mirrors from rental cars and selling them to the rental agencies. Any crook can spot a rental car at a tourist stop.

SC

Approach_plate
17th Apr 2004, 08:53
A damn good shoeing!!!

17th Apr 2004, 09:09
Off topic slightly, but following from Seacue's comment,

A few years ago, about 4 months after buying a new car, I started getting a loud rattle from the exhaust, so as it was under warranty, I took it back to the dealer.
After they jacked it up on the ramp, I was called in to have a look.
Someone had tried removing the catalitic converter (and nearly suceeded) 7 bolts had been removed, and only 2 left holding it in place.
The mechanic reckoned that someones car had a tits up cat, and rather than spend 300+ on a new one, they would rather "borrow" mine, and must have been disturbed before they finished the job.

G-ALAN
17th Apr 2004, 09:44
I feel he got what he deserved. At least the justice system worked for once. Why can't we lock up every other little chav scumbag who commits such deplorable acts of vandalism instead of slapping them on the wrists and letting them walk scot free :*

Slim20
17th Apr 2004, 09:48
Probly because he is 37 and old enough to know better. If he was 14 he'd probly get shipped off to St Lucia on an adventure holiday to "really think about what he'd done".

But I still agree with Shy Torque - the law needs to start allowing manslaughter and murder charges to be brought against road killers - "careless driving" for the lout described in his post doesn't even begin to cover the real crime of that murdering scumbag.

spork
17th Apr 2004, 12:54
Why can't we lock up every other little chav scumbag who...Possibly because our prisons are full? To try and stay on thread, I think this sentence is probably about right, after all, he won't actually be in there for that period of time. It's pretty scummy to take revenge on the "whole world" - carefully targeted revenge is best. :)

G-ALAN
17th Apr 2004, 13:09
Then we build more :E

spork
17th Apr 2004, 13:23
If we build more prisons we don't need to fuss too much about who is in there and for what. Maybe we should get that right first. The issue of the punishment fitting the crime has always been a hot topic long before messageboards. The answer isn't easy, therefore nothing will be done, and the inequity will go on.

Is this off thread? Maybe not.

Ozzy2
17th Apr 2004, 13:32
I was going to say "make him pay to replace the tyres he destroyed" but then I noted the wacko is unemployed. He should remain in prison until he has earned enough to pay for the damage. At 5 pence/hour it will be a while:E

Ozzy

maxman
17th Apr 2004, 20:08
Agree with ozzy2.
Persue him through the small claims court for the cost of the tyres, and if successful (sp) inform the other 200 or so victims, so that they can do the same:E :E

Standard Noise
18th Apr 2004, 02:18
Let me get this right, he was unemployed but had time to slash the tyres of 500 vehicles in ten days.
I take it therefore, that he was not "actively seeking gainful employment" and that the bods from his local job centre and DSS office will be waiting to ask him a few questions as to why?

Call me old fashioned, but I think we should bring back the birch.

the wizard of auz
18th Apr 2004, 02:35
hehehe.............you pommies have to live with it now you have nowhere left to ship them off to. :} :} your a bad rotten mob of people over there and your running out of jail space. who would have thought that would happen. :D ;)

Wiz, (a free settler)

ratsarrse
18th Apr 2004, 10:39
you pommies have to live with it now you have nowhere left to ship them off to

I don't know, it could still be a workable proposition. Clearly, shipping convicts to Oz wouldn't be too much of a punishment these days, but we still have plenty of poxy islands (other than the mainland itself, of course) where we could dump prisoners. Some of the more remote and unhabited (uninhabitable?) Scottish islands, Montserrat (:E ), and the Falklands spring to mind. Bring back prison colonies!

airship
18th Apr 2004, 12:30
But what if just one of the tyres he slashed had an unapparent defect, was old, worn or dangerous...? That had the mother with 2 young children not had to replace it, may have lost control of the car the next time she drove it...! :8 :)

Out Of Trim
18th Apr 2004, 13:34
Some of the tyres he slashed were left apparently undamaged but, deflated slowly whilst the vehicles were driving and thus could have contributed to a fatal crash..

I would say he got off lightly with his sentence.

:mad:

spork
20th Apr 2004, 17:43
Maybe we could compare this sentence with the six years just given to the M3 brick-thrower, who killed the artic driver. Six years doesn't seem a lot for a deliberate act like that. He claims he "didn't know what happened" as a result of his act. The heroic lorry driver managed to pull his lorry onto the hard shoulder immediately the brick hurtled through the screen into his chest.

He then died of a heart attack. This was big news in this area for a long time and was nationally condemned in the press. This moron had to be tracked down over many months, and eventually DNA checks proved it was him. How could he claim to not know about the result? The offence was reduced from murder to manslaughter - why?

chiglet
20th Apr 2004, 18:29
Friend of mine had his passenger door open to allow his [almost] blind Mum to get into the car. Cyclist [in a "Racing Crouch"] came up the inside, walloped door...bending pillar, etc, thus writing car off. No insurance, mate was TPF&T, and was lucky not to get sue'd :mad:
watp,iktch