PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading

Brian Dixon
16th Apr 2004, 17:59
Firstly, apologies if this is basic stuff.

I'm currently looking to upgrade the trusty steam driven computer (W98, P2, 400MHz, 4MB HD), to something more modern.

However, some of you may know of my campaign with regard the Chinook accident on the Mull of Kintyre (See Mil Thread if you're interested), and I want to be able to transfer all my e-mail stuff across onto a new hard drive. I've had a look, but can't seem to find where these are kept on the hard drive (and there's loads of these e-mails!).

I'm rubbish with computers, but feel that I would be able to attach the old hard drive into any new computer and transfer everything else across, but I would like to put all the old e-mails into a similar folder on the new computer.

Can this be done by a simpleton (me), or is it something best left to an adult?

As always,
I'm grateful for your advice.

Regards,
Brian

BOAC
16th Apr 2004, 18:14
Yes indeed it is 'easy' (if anything Windows is!!), Brian. There will be plenty of help here to assist your move. Assuming you use ?Outlook Express? the files are accessible by going to 'Tools'/'Options'/'Maintenance'/'Store Folder', and when your new machine is set up you can run OE and select 'Import'/'Messages' emails from this folder.

Recommend (of course) you back up ALL important files first, though!

Standby for the experts!

Brian Dixon
16th Apr 2004, 19:26
Thank you both for the information so far.

Mike, I meant 4GB Hard Drive (Told you I was rubbish at computing!!) :\

I'll keep searching!
Regards,
Brian

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Apr 2004, 21:06
Brian,

There is a way to to export your old emails and import them into your new email program. If you are uncomfortable working with computers, it might be worth asking a friend to assist you. It will not take them long to do this operation and it would be worth taking them for a pint or two at your local after you finish. ;)

Just figure out what you want to keep data wise (Email, Word Docs, Pictures, etc.) before your friend comes over, so you can give him/her the list when they are ready to start.

Take Care,

Richard

Brian Dixon
17th Apr 2004, 12:05
Thanks Richard,
I take your point on making sure we visit the pub after the job has been completed!!

I'll take the plunge in the next week or so.
Regards, and thanks everyone.
Brian :ooh:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Apr 2004, 14:45
Brian,

As you get ready, if you have a questions about backing up and specific data or program, let us know. We would be happy to help. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. There is even a way to copy your entire old Hard Drive on to your new computer if you want.