PDA

View Full Version : Compaq laptop boot-up problem

BOAC
16th Apr 2004, 10:24
I have been trying to help (on the telephone!) a friend who has just installed a Tiscali b/band modem on a Compaq laptop (W2000Pro) with Norton 2003 anti-virus.

Whilst I wait for the 'installing' husband to return, to go through the usual "did you install the drivers before etc; did you disable Norton during etc", the wife tells me she has a lockup during boot (desktop complete), with a stationary hourglass 'behind coloured (blue and turquoise) bars' as she puts it. CAD does now't and switching off is the only way out. Can anyone tell me what this indicates and whether it is a Tiscali/Windows or Norton logo? She reports Norton 'removing' a virus on first (successful) connect yesterday to Tiscali. So far unplugging and re-plugging the modem has worked, but she now reports 'another virus' on the Norton.

Any ideas?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Apr 2004, 14:36
BOAC,

Sounds like an infected Driver Disk????

I would uninstall the program, do the full virus/malware scans with several products. Then try again. This time get the latest drivers for the modem from the Net and scan them before doing the install. When installing, have everything disabled. (Antivirus, programs in the Systray etc.)

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
16th Apr 2004, 15:06
Thank you, Richard, as always - we'll start there!

Does anyone recognise the icon described - Compaq/Norton/Modem/MS/???

BOAC
27th Apr 2004, 16:10
Latest development is an apparent (known?) conflict between the 'Sagem' broadband modem and the Compaq!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Apr 2004, 20:30
BOAC,

Is it an Ethernet Modem or a USB Modem?

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
27th Apr 2004, 20:43
Suspect USB but will check