PDA

View Full Version : Are pilots boring?

What to do?
16th Apr 2004, 10:13
Morning

Now, I know this is likely to cause a little excitement, but I'm concerned about it. The five or six that I have met have been very helpful, but four of them have been about as interesting as a Westminster parking meter (the most boring breed). Now, I know there's often a generation gap between the two people, but that's no excuse! The next consideration is perhaps it's me. I'm fairly gregarious and enjoy team sports etc, but I'm certainly not a crazy party going fiend very often. Perhaps I'm not actually serious about flying and therefore the conversation is bound to bore me? Not so.

Since this is a forum for people potentially starting out, I think it's a valid topic. It's often said that in order to be employed the pilots conducting the interview want people who they'd gladly have a beer with after. What about the flip side?! I should also point out that a good friend flies for BA and I get on with him (as you might expect) very well.

I know that in any office, there's loads of people that are considered a little boring by one or a number of the staff, I'm just intrigued about the situation in aviation.

Cheers

Pilot Pete
16th Apr 2004, 10:20
I'm sure I've bored the pants off a few colleagues.............!

PP;)

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2004, 10:33
PP - I'm not sure I really want to know how you get the pants off your colleagues ;)

FFF
----------------

scroggs
16th Apr 2004, 11:58
Why do you imagine that pilots are different from any other group? This is a profession that naturally attracts enthusiasts. Enthusiasts of subjects that don't interest others are often called anoraks. There are probably a slightly disproportionate amount of anoraks (aka enthusasts) in flying, and their conversation, particularly early in their careers, can be a bit one dimensional!

On top of that, male British pilots are often closet railway buffs, car nuts and real ale addicts, with a sideline in serious hifi gadgetry. If these aren't breeding grounds for terminally boring conversations, then I don't know what is.

Scroggs (Railway buff, car nut and AV gadget freak. And lager drinker, so that's alright then)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Apr 2004, 12:11
Scroggs,

Are you likely to drive the A340-600 for Virgin?

What to do?
16th Apr 2004, 12:20
Afternoon

Back in the days when I wasn't stuck in Shi*e London, I used to be very enthusiastic about falconry and remote controlled planes, much to the ridicule of peers. Coupled with this I do like bombing round and fiddling with my Elise. I'm not however a member of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ales for those who haven't been tempted!)

Do you think I'll fit in?!!

Cheers

p.s. the pants and the locked kevlar door are a little concerning.

High Wing Drifter
16th Apr 2004, 12:22
WTD,

I think that coporate airline culture would require enough gel to flatten the otherwise windswept and interesting look favoured by closet base-jumpers and the like. I wonder if professional pilots start developing that sterotypical charming, calm and unflappable character early in their careers. It has to stick at some point don't it? :p

tom24
16th Apr 2004, 14:41
What?

You're quite an odd creature really. I hope you're not assessed as mentally unfit for the job.

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2004, 14:49
Tom,

It's not fair to accuse What? of being "mentally unfit" for anything purely based on the fact that he's not a member of CAMRA. After all, I'm not a member either.... ah, hold on, I think I see your point now :D :E :ooh:

FFF
-----------

witchdoctor
16th Apr 2004, 15:05
Terminally thick, yes.

Opinionated, yes.

Boring? Ummm, well, yes - sometimes.:O My wife doesn't let me out much and aviation bores her rigid!:D

I do however like beer with twigs in it.:}

Pilot Pete
16th Apr 2004, 16:40
Oh my God.

I went to the railway museum in York as a kid.

I rebuilt and 'tweeked up' a sports car as a young twentysomething.

I'm now a bitter drinker having graduated from fizzy lager several years back.

My hi-fi is however sh!te.......but I do press my nose up against the shop window with wishful eyes...............

Oh no, I'm terminally boring!!!!:ugh:

PP

scroggs
16th Apr 2004, 17:09
CAT3C Yes.

Now, about my 406 coupe 3.0SE, in which I'm off to the 30Sqn RAF reunion (and beer drinking contest) tomorrow.....

(Might stop off at the Swindon and Cricklade Railway - and the Wilts & Berks Canal Society!)

Pilot Pete
17th Apr 2004, 08:47
Scroggs

I can get you in to the 'Wilts and Berks' if you need a proposer...;)

PP:p

scroggs
17th Apr 2004, 11:21
I'm a lapsed member now, Pete, as I no longer run a business on the K&A. Or were you suggesting a wetter version of an 'in'?!

WX Man
17th Apr 2004, 17:21
I always find that when someone asks you what you do for the first time, 'pilot' doesn't really impress as it would have done 50 years ago. I normally say 'it begins with P'. Then I will settle on some guess that sounds suitably interesting, and BS my way through the rest of the conversation.

So far, I have been a psychologist, a photographer, a plumber, a pengiun keeper (and a pilot). The thing about being a pilot is that it really kills the conversation, quicker than if you were to say that you were a morgue assistant.

schooner
17th Apr 2004, 19:50
Pete,
I am still a fizzy lager drinker but recently Radio 2 has started to become more appealing to me compared to that "noise" they play on Radio 1. I also wear comfy slippers and drive a nice economical diesel. Is this the start of the slippery slope?

Cheers.

GJB
17th Apr 2004, 20:12
I don't believe it, this all sounds like me. I love my ales, cars and hi-fi. I spend hours trawling the net for picture of Bang & Olufsen and B&W loudspeakers.
I aspire to owning more Snap-on tools, a workshop with a pit lane, a turning lathe, a quality timing light, a big compressor, hydraulic pullers and a huge big tool chest to keep my most treasured torque wrenches and sockets in. I want a Triumph Stag and a Jag E-type, not to mention a Delta Integrale Evo.

I used to think it wise to keep this sort of stuff to myself, in case I was branded weird, but it sounds like I'm just the same as you lot. I think I should fit in nicely.

Sad, boring, geeky?

To some perhaps it is, but to me.......well it stirs my very sole

Come round sometime, to talk UNF, BSW, zeniths, SU's or turbos.........just bring a few tinnies with you!

:ok:

Cyclic Hotline
17th Apr 2004, 20:34
How do you know when you're date with a Pilot is nearly over?

When he says, "Well, that's enough about flying, let's talk about me!" :8

BEagle
17th Apr 2004, 21:01
Got the B&O stereo - well, actually I bought it in 1976. Still looks good though - and sounds fine!

Diesel? Bolleaux. NO. NEVER!! OK for tractors and farm machinery, but pilots simply don't drive them - it just isn't done! Something like my SLK320 is more the thing! They once said that you could tell the number of failed pilot marriages in the ba car park by looking at the cars....quality inversely proportional to alimony level!

Watch? OK - Breitling Aerospace. Not a poseur's toy, but a useful aviator's tool. Well - I've found it ideal!

Beer with twigs in it? Hmm - I'll go for the odd pint of Specky Hen or Hooky, but Thunderpants Old Rectal Reaming Farting Fluid - no thanks. Laarger? Only in Das Reich, danke. A nice cool Hefe Weissbier - ooh yes!

Conversations about flying? When all someone's experience consists of is being locked into a two-person flightdeck for 6 sector days of FMS and AFS fondling, then home, they haven't really got very much of interest to share with others. Whatever happened to nightstop room parties with the crew all having a good time? I recall one of those in Bermuda with a ba gang many years ago - the number one was such a friendly lass;)

Have to admit to Terry Wogan and Johnny Walker on Radio 2 in the car as I haven't got round to getting the CD changer and Blaupunkt Travel Pilot fitted yet - have been too busy! But at home it's definitely Sky channel 861 (Planet Rock) or RadioFFH on Internet streaming audio whilst I'm working.....

Was nearly tempted to buy an E-type last year. BRG 4.2 series 1 coupe......lovely. But the commonsense brain cell kicked in!

Comfy slippers? Oh purrlease! I suppose you actually wear pyjamas as well? (Whatever those are.....)

schooner
18th Apr 2004, 13:07
BEagle,
OK, ok, I`ll buy something a bit less agricultural next time. The Spiderman stunt pyjamas only come out if the missus allows it!!
Right, off to Debenhams to buy a cardigan;) .

Cheers.

thegypsy
18th Apr 2004, 13:46
Scroggs

How could I tell all along that you were an ex Herc driver??

What to do?
19th Apr 2004, 13:06
Tiddley hoe

Christ, to think you lot carry people 'safely' around the globe! Thankfully you've proven that you're actually not particularly boring. It's been a slightly more interesting thread than a few of them!

cheers

P.S. It's my experience that members of the general public, including the ladies, seem to find the flying game pretty attractive. This may of course diminish after marriage!