PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Good Fortune

MMEMatty
15th Apr 2004, 20:22
I recently had a RAOGF yesterday.

After buying a new CD from Virgin Megastores in smogland, i found out it contained two CD's, meaning i now have a spare, or one for distribution :E

Anyone else have any random acts of good fortune?

Matty

Paracab
15th Apr 2004, 20:42
Was recently in a local, major pub chain. Paid with a tenner, got change for a twenty.

Thought about the morals for about three seconds, then decided they were a damn sight richer than me, so f$uk 'em.

Put the 'winnings' behind the bar anyway...
Woundn't have done it in my real local though...

airship
15th Apr 2004, 20:54
Last October, I ordered loads of DVD goodies from the BBC. These arrived a few days later and I enjoyed many happy hours of amusement from Fawlty Towers, 'Allo 'Allo and Open All Hours amongst others.

Then in February this year, I got an email from them saying that my order had now been dispatched. I immediately replied saying that I hoped they weren't sending me the same order again and above all, not charging my CC for a second delivery of the same stuff. Next day, I got another email saying that my CC had been charged...! The BBC never replied to my emails, I never got a repeat delivery. When I checked my CC statements from last October / November, I found that I had not been charged for my order back then, only in February this year! So much for efficiency at the BBC. :ugh:

Anyway, I had the pleasure of rendering some small service to one of Paul Allen's (Microsoft) yachts a few years back and was given a copy of MS Office 2000 in thanks. What surprised me was that the pack carried a price sticker of a major US store. One would have thought such gifts ware quite common, but why would Paul Allen have to buy the stuff in the first place...?! :)

DeepC
15th Apr 2004, 21:19
I was queuing in a crowded street in Nottingham to use a 'hole in the wall'. As I stepped up to the podium it would not accept my card. I waited a bit and the screen turned to 'please take your money'. Out popped 5 crisp 20 notes. I quickly looked around for the previous user to hand them the money but they had dissapeared. Being an honest Gent, I took the money inside to the bank and told them what had happened. They took it off me and told me that if it was not collected it would become mine in 6 weeks. Needless to say that was the last I saw of it. Still, it was a random act of good fortune for the person who lost it to find it again.

DeepC

airship
15th Apr 2004, 21:37
DeepC, I've often wondered why the ATMs don't have the same problem with banknotes as my printer sometimes has with picking up 2 or more sheets at a time...?! :)

Jerricho
16th Apr 2004, 02:47
A buddy and I were preparing for a Paddy's Day pub crawl by having a few practice beers at the local RSL. And of course, we had to play Keno. Just as we were about to get a taxi, our last game won 4 for 4. $240, thank you very much.

Curious Pax
16th Apr 2004, 09:22
Bought a 300 video recorder from Scottish Power (as was) a few years ago and although I have the credit card slip to prove that I paid, it never appeared on my credit card bill. It was a machine payment, not a handwritten slip either, so I assume something major went wrong at their end. Perhaps it isn't surprising that they went bust a few years later. Video is still going strong though!

Bo Nalls
16th Apr 2004, 09:44
Had the same occur to me as happened to DeepC. Only this ATM was in Leicester Sq and not attached to a bank - just against an outside wall of one of the cinemas. No-one in front of me as I approached the ATM, just as it dispensed 200 :O :O

I immediatly looked around to see who could have used the machine before me, but nobody seemed interested. So... I pocketed and ran, looking back all the while unsure whether I'd been "Jeremy Beadle'd"

Paid for a very good night out;)

DeepC
16th Apr 2004, 11:06
When Dad built the family home some 25years ago, cavity wall insulation was very expensive and so he left it out.

A few years later when it came down in price he got it done with those little polystyrene balls. Came to at least several hundred if not a thousand pounds.

Never got billed for it.

DeepC

timmcat
16th Apr 2004, 11:24
May have related this before but, anyway..

Few years ago, lived almost next door to the village off licence / paper shop / general store / lottery outlet. One morning, strolled round to collect the morning paper, noticed a lottery slip on the pathway outside the shop. Picked it up, no one around who might have dropped it, so, tucked it into pocket and returned home.
Now, it was a Monday morning, and the slip was for the previous saturday's draw.. checked the numbers, bingo.. 4 correct, worth about 70 that week. Thought carefully, and decided not to cash in 'my' winnings at the local store, but to call in at an outlet some way from home on the way to work. Presented the ticket - helpful assistant says 'hmmm. I hope I've got enough in the till to pay you'. Yes, thought I , you better bloomin well have, my son. The assistant scanned the ticket, frowned, scanned it again, then looked at me and said 'sorry sir, this one has already been paid out'. Muttering something about my wife cashing it and not telling me, I sheepishly made my way out of the shop never to return. :\

Eagle18th
16th Apr 2004, 11:31
A couple of years ago I needed some new shoes and a suit.
I bought the shoes for around J50, and 30 minutes later the suit from a different shop for J250. I paid for both of them with my credit card, and was never billed for either.
:cool:

G-ALAN
16th Apr 2004, 13:08
I hired a video and bought some beer lastweek from the same shop. It came to 8 quid and I used my debit card and a week later I still haven't been billed for it, it always comes off after 4 days. My best feat however was when I was living in London. I had to travel up to Glasgow at the last minute for some reason I can't remember. Now buying a train ticket on the day of travel even with a rail card cost me 55 quid or there abouts, I used my debit card and again they didn't take it off my account :}

pulse1
16th Apr 2004, 13:21
We were having a family holiday some years ago at Hope Cove in Devon. A young girl belonging to a family near us on the beach became upset because she had lost a ring which she had bought that day, spending all her money on it. We all spent a long time looking for it, with no luck.

Five days later, I was launching my boat a long way from where she had been when she lost her ring. I happened to look down and there it was, lying on the sand in the water as if it had been placed there.

The unrestrained joy of the young lady was a delight to see.

angels
16th Apr 2004, 13:27
You're all bar stewards.

NTL nicked (via direct debit) 600 quid from my account nearly five months ago.

They've admitted (verbally) they shouldn't have.

I'm still trying to get it back.

Scum.

Er, them, not you.....

JustaFew
16th Apr 2004, 17:15
On my birthday a few years ago, we were driving home after visiting relatives (a drive of 240 miles) when the car engine cut out. We cruised to a lay-by where a recovery truck was attending aonther broken-down car. The mechanic took a look and fixed the problem in 2 mins!!!

Oh, and we also 10 on the Lottery that day using the motorway numbers. Father Christmas, fairies, elves et al I believe do exist!

BALIX
16th Apr 2004, 17:22
For reasons best known to the management, our staff canteen doesn't use cash any more. We have little card thingies that we have to charge up in a machine with cash and then place in another machine at the till which debits the appropriate amount. All a complete waste of time IMHO but there you go.

One morning we were most delighted to find out that rather than debiting the amount shown on the till, the machine was crediting that amount to your card. Being honest types, we informed the canteen staff of the error before the office workers turned up but after we shift workers had stocked up on huge breakfasts at a cost of minus several quid :ok: :ok:

A Very Civil Pilot
16th Apr 2004, 17:47
I've had a few over the years.

Most recently I found $20 sitting on the ledge next to an (UK) ATM. Tried to offer it to the bank, but not interested. It's now in my wallet waiting for the exchange rate to get better.

A few years back booked staff travel tickets to NY, to be sent to home. Wasn't able to collect then in time, so I had then cancelled and new ones issued for collection at the airport. CC was cancelled at the same time, and was never recharged for the new tickets.

Recently had my salary credited to my account twice on the same day. It's collecting interest until they ask for it back (less an administration fee!).