PDA

View Full Version : Air Marshal Leaves Gun in Airport Restroom - Reuters

Pax Vobiscum
15th Apr 2004, 19:04
See Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=4803867)

"A federal air marshal accidentally left her gun in a restroom beyond the security checkpoints at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, officials say.

"Soon afterward, a passenger found the gun and informed an airline employee, who removed it and told police. The gun later was returned to the marshal."

You couldn't make it up ...

FlapsOne
15th Apr 2004, 19:30
Hopefully the Marashal will be returned to the unemployment queue!

Faire d'income
15th Apr 2004, 20:42
I wonder would it be possible to have a sticky thread about Air Marshall gaffes that seriously undermine the environment in which we have to operate.

We were told how 'highly trained' these 'experts' would be. Many here voiciferously attacked any criticism if the plan but as more of these screw ups happen they seem to have gone quite. Still think its a good idea chaps?

Basil
15th Apr 2004, 23:26
I am about to shout!
They are SKY MARSHALS NOT AIR MARSHALS !!
An Air Marshal is an air officer in the Royal Air Force equivelant to the rank of Vice Admiral (RN) (Yes, yes we've all heard about someone having to organise the sailors' R&R) or Lieutenant General (Army or USAF)
If you want to show your ignorance or take the piss PLEASE continue to call them airmarshals.
that's all - OK?

stagger
15th Apr 2004, 23:40
Calm down Basil - don't blame the journalists - blame the FAA for having something called a Federal Air Marshal Program

At least in this case the gun was left in a terminal building toilet - a while ago there was a case where an Air Marshal (sic) left a gun in the toilet on an aircraft where it was found by a passenger.

Basil
16th Apr 2004, 09:09
<<Federal Air Marshal Program>>
Oh all right then, I stand erected :O

Slim20
16th Apr 2004, 09:24
The marshal remained on the job after Thursday's incident when she visited an airport restroom and inadvertently left her gun behind, Dave Adams, spokesman for the Federal Air Marshal Service in Washington, said Saturday.

I wonder if an armed pilot would have been so leniently treated had it been the case.

Even more amazing as the toilet was airside, meaning a travelling member of the public could have picked it up, slipped it in their bag and taken it aboard without further security checks.

Incredible that she could have left a gun behind for so long. What was she thinking? "Oh, their boarding my flight now, why am I here again, oh, yes, I'm a sky mars---SH!T"

Farrell
16th Apr 2004, 10:44
Spot the key word in that report anyone?????

"....A federal air marshal accidentally left HER gun in a restroom ...."

Half a Mexican
16th Apr 2004, 10:50
Still can’t quite figure out how she managed to do this.

The article says: “While washing her hands, she placed her gun on a shelf, but forgot to take it with her when she left the room. Soon afterward, a passenger found the gun”

If she wanted to wash her hands, why did she not stash the gun in the holster were it’s supposed to go?

What exactly was she doing walking around in an airside passenger toilet with a gun in her hand?

Either way, good thing she didn’t forget the gun in an aircraft toilet… :eek:

--
HaM

flyhardmo
16th Apr 2004, 11:31
Because of evolution women are not designed to P1ss whilst standing so she probably took it out while sitting as it probably poked her.
Either that or she was standing in front of the mirror saying
"are you talking to me"

WorkingHard
16th Apr 2004, 11:38
Basil - Air Marshalls (UK variety i.e. RAF) only lose laptop computers with top secret info. No point in confusing the two is there? Think of the devestation that could be caused by a terrorist organisation getting hold of some secret data compared to a single pistol!!!!!! And they dont lose their jobs either.

mini
16th Apr 2004, 12:54
Anyone who has ever served in a professional armed capacity will have trouble understanding how this happened.

I thought these people were trained to a high standard?

This is troubling, really

:sad:

16th Apr 2004, 13:05
What's the fuss? No harm was done! And, this is not the first time it's happened either, so I'm sure it'll continue happening with monotonous regularity.

:}

maxy101
16th Apr 2004, 13:16
For a moment, I thought this thread was about something important like a pilot trying to smuggle a pair of nail clippers past the TSA....It does seem to smack of double standards. This is exactly why most UK pilots don´t want this programme in the U.K
It would be interesting to see if we would be at greater risk of terrorism or from "lapses" such as these? Perhaps someone will do a risk analysis in a few years?

Basil
16th Apr 2004, 13:37
WorkingHard,
Yes, recollect that little affair and agree; much more harmful than smallarms incident. Potential, if data falls into wrong hands; actual, when allies discover carelessness and trust is lost.

B Sousa
16th Apr 2004, 14:33
Based on Procedures in the U.S. she will probably be bumped up on the Promotion list.
This idiot carries a gun and I still cant ship my Brand new Zippos in checked baggage............
A Friend of mine who is now a retired Federal Agent related to me that not long ago while on duty he was travelling armed ( with all the Appropriate papers). As he went through security they went ballistic that he had a small knife in his pocket... He had to get two supervisors to approve..... Gun no problem, small Knife emergency........
The Insanity continues............

witchdoctor
16th Apr 2004, 14:33
Perhaps it was just an honest mistake as she had confused her gun with her lippy.

Can just see her now, gun oil round her mouth, trying to subdue an attempted hijack with her Boots No.7.:}

"Stop or I'll...................damn!!!":ooh:

ekw
16th Apr 2004, 14:40
Here's how it happens:

Gun is on belt. Buckle holds it fast.

Buckle is released to gain access to bodily functions.

Belt is slack and gun falls to floor.

Gun on floor bad idea. Set gun on top of cistern.

Wipe and flush. Forget gun.

Remember 15 minutes later.

Same degree of panic as when all engines flame out at same time.

aviate1138
16th Apr 2004, 16:18
posted 16th April 2004 11:38 ___ _ _ __ _

Basil - Air Marshalls (UK variety i.e. RAF) only lose laptop computers with top secret info. No point in confusing the two is there? Think of the devestation that could be caused by a terrorist organisation getting hold of some secret data compared to a single pistol!!!!!! And they dont lose their jobs either.

Aviate 1138 says..... Don't they also condemn, without a shred of evidence, innocent Chinook pilots near the Isle of Mull? And why I wonder would they do that? [Thread with a million answers has already gone down that road!]

Aviate1138

WorkingHard
16th Apr 2004, 19:37
Aviate 1138 - nicely linked. They appear to be outside the law and out of control. Look at the procurement cock ups and how it puts our troops in grave danger whilst they sit in MOD with their G&Ts no doubt. Too many are ready to blame the politicians but it is not the politicians that order the wrong stuff, IT IS THEIR LORDSHIPS IN MOD.

Basil
16th Apr 2004, 21:50
aviate1138
err, I think that's about what I said in response to the post by WorkingHard.

propulike
16th Apr 2004, 23:33
Practicality?

I've been told by some of the pax on my mil a/c that they'd had their weapons put through the x-ray doodah before being allowed to board. What were the coppers looking for? A concealed weapon? They WERE guns! What did they think was being hidden!

However, let's not confuse absurdity with aircraft being compromised by those specifically appointed to protect them.

An unaccompanied gun airside is unforgivable.

Check 6
17th Apr 2004, 12:50
B Sousa is correct. She will definitely get a promotion, as the “Peter Principle” is alive and well.

Back in the 80’s in California, I was on duty and traveling armed (with proper credentials and paperwork) with three armed colleagues. Our assignment required traveling on an airline from SAN to RNO. The Captain refused our carrying firearms on his flight – no problem – he is the Captain.

All four of us passed our firearms to him in the cockpit, took our seats and went “off duty.” We were then allowed to have a few adult beverages.

;)

weasil
17th Apr 2004, 20:46
a guy I work with said a FAM left their gun onboard his aircraft once. Got up and left it on the seat. Also heard about one leaving their gun in the aircraft lav.

It is amazing to me the amount of people who can carry a gun onboard a plane. Including postal inspectors, bureau of indian affairs, housing inspectors just to name a few. It's nuts.

Jump Complete
27th Apr 2004, 11:06
Last weeks Flight International also covered the story, briefly, and stated that the gun was found by a passenger who handed it in to an airline staff member.

Personnally there is no way I would pick up a gun and wander round a Airport (particually in the USA) trying to find someone to give it to. The chances of being shot on sight would seem to me far too high!

(I wouldn't leave it obviously, but I would dispatch someone else to come find security to come and get it whilst I stayed there and guarded it.)