PDA

View Full Version : Last orders for London Guinness

HOGE
15th Apr 2004, 16:20
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3628941.stm

Guinness, the famous stout with a creamy head, will no longer be made in London after the summer of 2005.
Drinks giant Diageo will close its Park Royal brewery and transfer production for the UK, its largest market, to the St James's Gate site in Dublin.

Is it me, or does it taste different, (and nicer), when in Ireland?

teeteringhead
15th Apr 2004, 16:29
That sounds like excellent news. Dublin Guiness is better (must be the Liffey water), and I'll no longer have to go to the one pub in London I've found (Coach and Horses Covent Garden) that already gets its Guinness from Dublin!:D

G-ALAN
15th Apr 2004, 18:04
Good news! Dublin Guinness is heavenly! I had a pint last week in Gravity bar at the Guinness Storehouse, 'twas probably the best pint I've ever had!(and the best view I've ever had from a bar) :ok: I asked the bloke at the bar why all Guinness doesn't taste this good and he told me it was because it doesn't travel very well.

Boss Raptor
15th Apr 2004, 18:12
Have heard Oirish Guinness is better...but wont affect me as I am a tight git and only buy the supermarket generic stuff , Aldi's 2.74 for 4 cans...luvly jubbly :ok:

autosync
15th Apr 2004, 19:16
Just aswell they closed that Brewery and not the St James's Gate, all the cans and bar taps would have to be changed,
"Park Royal brewery" just wouldn't have the same ring to the black stuff, for some reason!!

Call me a traditionalist

Sailor Vee
15th Apr 2004, 20:52
Quite right, the 'real' emerald oil is miles better.:ok:

Lovely comment on RTE1 (Irish national radio station) this morning, that Guinness are hoping that the anticipated 50% upturn in production at the Gate will be done by the present workforce, yeah, without a mega pay rise!!:E

Jerricho
16th Apr 2004, 03:38
Does this now mean that because it is officially imported, those **** posh bars in London will be charging 7 quid for a half?

Blacksheep
16th Apr 2004, 03:43
I have fond memories of the Park Royal brewery. Very hospitable they were. They gave us a pipeline directly to the six million gallon final storage tank, but try as we may, we just couldn't finish it. They even carried us gently back to our bus and tucked us in comfortably before waving us on our way.

Crepello
16th Apr 2004, 05:34
I s'pose they'll be transporting it by ship. All that stands between me and the dream is a quick dabble in piracy...

I've nearly missed several boats home due to the taste of the Real McCoy, just off O'Connell St. If it tastes as good after the journey, Britain will be back to the dark ages in no time!

(Hmm, dark ages, maybe there's a slogan there... :p )

Standard Noise
16th Apr 2004, 09:26
Do I sense that the English are catching on at last. The first seven years I lived here, I couldn't find a decent pint of Guinness unless I went to a certain pub in Richmond or to London Irish RFC on matchdays (Sunbury, not Reading).

Having returned last year after 5 years at home, I'm still disappointed. Still, nice to see that the corporate bods at Diageo have woken up.

Now then, who's up for the St.Paddy's day weekend match at LIRFC next year. Rugby and Guinness at the same time, truly "The World in Unison", or at least spinning at the end of the day.:}

Oh btw, note to English: Your national saints day is actually 23rd April.:ok:

Animalclub
16th Apr 2004, 11:04
I can't drink the locally brewed stuff... but that stuff that arrives in the tall black cans is beautiful.

redsnail
16th Apr 2004, 11:23
Checkers and I enjoyed a fine pint of Guinness at the Gravity Bar on Easter Monday. Tasted brilliant and view wasn't bad either. :ok:

Drap-air
16th Apr 2004, 12:07
The Guinness in Ireland is better, not only the water etc etc but they know how to pour it over there! Personally, I think the real question is will the beer travel well?

:ok:

Jerricho
16th Apr 2004, 12:41
The way it's poured............not with a freakin' shamrock in the head. And filling the glass in one pour? :yuk:

Drap-air
16th Apr 2004, 12:44
after a year working the student bar, i have successfully mastered the shamrock on the head!

Jerricho
16th Apr 2004, 12:50
Why, oh why? I'm sure it's done just to wind people up!!!

We convinced a US Plastic sitting in a bar one night that the head of a perfect pint could support a 5 cent coin. He proceeded to ask the bartender to pour him the perfect pint (minus shamrock.......we told him it would effect the whole process). The Plastic then proceeded to test our theory.

At one stage he probably had 50 cents in the bottom of his glass.

Drap-air
16th Apr 2004, 12:55
i convinced a yank in a bar in florida, only 2 weeks ago, that i knew his friend patrick o'sullivan, who he met once in a bar in dublin in 1970. they will believe anything

G-ALAN
16th Apr 2004, 13:35
Yeah the pouring is an important part, If any [email protected]@er pours me a pint of Guinness in one go I tell them to throw it down the sink and do it again properly. I'll stand for nothing less than perfection when I have a pint of Guinness, anything else I'm not fussy about :}

I think I'll go onto the Guinnesses tonight, all this talk of it makes me want some ;)

FlyingV
16th Apr 2004, 13:46
I s'pose they'll be transporting it by ship.

Anyone know what happened to the Lady Patricia & the Miranda Guinness? (Guinness ships for those who don't know)

They were Dublin landmarks when I was growing up.

IB4138
16th Apr 2004, 18:18
Last saw these two ships tied up in Dublin about 15 years ago.

There used to be a couple of Irish run pubs around the Brentford area, that had their Guiness brought in weekly, by private tanker from Dublin.