PDA

View Full Version : JAA FAA bilateral agreement

Jimmy The Big Greek
15th Apr 2004, 13:56
A flightschool in spain told me that there is going to be a bilateral agreement between JAA and FAA regarding conversions.
I have heard that maybe we will not need to do as many "tests" as today. According to this flighschool this will take effect in less then a year from now.

Has anyone heard anything or is it just a rumour????

BillieBob
16th Apr 2004, 14:01
Talks between the JAA and FAA about a bilateral licensing agreement have been going on for over 5 years. By all accounts, the two sides are further apart now than when they started thanks, mainly, to the intransigent attitude of one or two JAA members. A report from one of the (US) attendees at the last meeting suggests that the FAA is on the point of giving up and walking away.

The UK has a long-standing bilateral agreement (BASA/SIP) with the FAA for the qualification of STDs but this is not recognised by most of the JAA.

In short, Jimmy, I wouldn't hold your breath whilst waiting for this to happen

Jimmy The Big Greek
16th Apr 2004, 16:51
Ok, sad to hear :{

eaglejet
16th Apr 2004, 20:38
Hi Jimmy,

Which flight school gave you this information, do you have an email adress.

For those who want i have a copy of the report ( a few months ago) of the last reunion of the JAA about this agreement with the FAA.

Acccording to this report, there is a good hope that the requirements for the conversion in the future will be lowered for the holders of an FAA licence.

Cheers

Jimmy The Big Greek
17th Apr 2004, 09:53
I think it was aeromadrid.

Please post the report here att pprune

BEagle
17th Apr 2004, 10:11
The bilateral agreement was expected to be presented in Lisbon for approval in early March.

However, it is hardly anything more than the present system of accreditation tidied up. So don't expect that if you have a FAA CPL/IR that you'll be able to swap it for a JAR-FCL licence - you'll still have exams and Skill Tests to pass.

It is NOT in force yet; I do not know the implementation date.