PDA

View Full Version : Cathay GFS Rotary Pilots

Colonel W E Kurtz
15th Apr 2004, 13:48
Are there any CX pilots who also fly rotary for GFS in their spare time? If so under what circumstances? Is it voluntary or part time employed? what are their minimum requirements, are they recruiting?

Many thanks:)

Felix Lighter
17th Apr 2004, 23:24
Until 2003 you wasnt possible to hold a helo and fixed licence concurrently.
CAD - in their wisdom - deemed it impossible for a pilot to be able to deal with the inherently different skills required!!

For some reason - and I dont want to speculate - this changed about 18mths ago. However they will only allow you to get a helo licence IF you have an offer of employment from a HKG based helicopter company.

Add to that the GFS, unofficialily, require you to be able to speak Cantonese and you get the idea that to gain a rotary licence in HKG is a local honour only.

Having said the above - after several run-ins with HKCAD over this issue...... the GFS pilots are all great chaps as are the pilots with heli-HK et al, its not their fault.......God knows what goes through the head-shed at CAD though!

Some CX pilots have recently gained HK CPL(H).....with the concurrence of CX..... but basically cannot use the licence in HK for anything other than joy flights.

So mate.............. the answer to your question is No!

PM if you need further info as I can put you onto people 'in the know'.

Rgds FL

moosp
27th Apr 2004, 01:26
In answer to your question, no. There are no CX pilots flying for GFS.

From what I hear these days GFS only want full time pilots. The weekend airforce idea doesn't fit with the tasks they have to perform.

On the licencing issue I tried to apply for a HK CPL(H) at the PLO but was informed that I had to have a job offer before they would accept the application! I cannot think of any other country that would put such a restriction in place.

Felix I am not sure on your "Some CX pilots have recently gained HK CPL(H).....with the concurrence of CX..... "

I think I know all the current helo guys at CX and I cannot think of one who has recently got a HK CPL(H). A couple or three have recently got CPL(H)s from other countries though, for their own interest.

jtr
27th Apr 2004, 13:57
PM, a -400 BTC has a HKCPL(h) (I think)