PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in Los Angeles, CA.

G73DC
15th Apr 2004, 12:33
Good afternoon,

In approx 4months I will embark on an intensive 3month training program based in Riverside, CA - i.e. www.allatps.com's 'Fast-Track' 90-day program. Training covers: Multi, IR, CPL, CFI-I, CFI-II and approx 250hrs including 3hrs jet time (C500).

A couple of friends have suggested I buy a plane and hire an instructor as a cheaper option to the USD$37,000 for ALLATPS. This sounds good, but not sure about the logistics.

I am a permanent resident of the US and accomodation is provided (free) in Los Anglese - hence the choice of location.

I am seeking help with:
1) ALLATPS, Riverside, CA. -- Review's, comments etc?
2) Has anybody completed this program with ALLATPS and have anything good to say about it?
3) Can anyone recommend a 'good' instructor based near Van Nuys or Camarillo areas?
4) Any other recommendation?

Thanks in advance,
Damian.

FWA NATCA
15th Apr 2004, 14:16
Damian,

Choosing between spending $37K for all the training, and purchasing an airplane and then hiring a certified instructor, maintenance fees, insurance, fuel, parking, etc.? Purchasing a used airplane is a minefield that you don't want to do without an experts advice, (someone that knows how to dig through the log books, maintenance records, and inspect the aircraft) to ensure that you aren't buying someone else's problem.

You need to weigh the cost / benefit of both options, then decide. I think finding a well maintained airplane, that is certified and equiped properly to accomplish the training that you are looking at isn't going to be cheap.

Mike R
NATCA FWA

G73DC
17th Apr 2004, 09:22
Since doing some research re insurance, hangarage, etc, I tend to agree with you about the cost of owning an aircraft vs ALLATPS.

I also posted this message in the Wannabee Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) forum where other Pprune users have all commented on the 'unknown' cost of ownership.

So, thanks for your reply - I will now focus on the instensive ALLATPS program.

weasil
17th Apr 2004, 21:00
I have a few friends that went to ALL ATPS. Known people who worked there as instructors. Never heard anything really bad about them. You will get lots of Multi engine time which is valuable. If you want to talk to more americans about the place try posting on www.flightinfo.com