PDA

View Full Version : Parting with Personal Logbooks

Nineiron
15th Apr 2004, 10:56
As part of a recent job offer from overseas that involves conversion to a local licence, I have been asked to send licence and logbook originals.
My previous experience in similar circumstances is to have documents verified at interview - not to part with them. Licences can be re-issued, but my logbook is irreplaceable and I am reluctant to part with it.
Has anbody had a similar problem and found a solution?

cortilla
16th Apr 2004, 11:16
I havn't gone through a similar experience, but the advice i can give is photocopy every single page in your log book if you do decide to go ahead with it. Might be a bit expensive, but surely it's better than having no records whatsoever. At least you're partially covered then. Perhaps you could also get an examinor (or someone else of similar 'high standing' within the caa) to certify the hours in your log book as well. Again if you loose it you have something to fall back on.

jetjackel
16th Apr 2004, 22:50
Have gone through the licensing process with several foreign airlines and CAA's. Starting procedure is to send photocopies of all doecuments including licenses and logbook pages. If the documents are acceptable you arrive there and the original logbooks are either then sent to the CAA or its done in an interview as part of issuing the license. Recommend you suggest that the logbooks and documents are sent as photocopies along with Notary verification.

I'd be pretty reluctant to send originals in the mail or UPS etc to a foreign company. Never heard of sending originals for initial screening.

Nineiron
17th Apr 2004, 08:30
Thanks Cortilla, Jetjackal. That has always been my previous experience, photocopies first followed by producing the real thing at interview. I have my entire logbooks on CD , (digital camera is quicker than photocopying or scanning.) Trouble is, its not the employer, it's the aviation authority. Will try the 'certified copy' idea though.

moku
19th Apr 2004, 10:18
Ummm... Had a simialar request this morning. I am also a tad nervious about sending my legbooks and actual lic to another country.

Moku.

jetjackel
20th Apr 2004, 09:36
I suppose it depends on who and where one is sending the requested documentation. Nigeria probably would not be a good place and maybe Switzerland would. The problem I have with this procedure is that it really is not necessary. Photocopies verify the initial qualification. Then the company sends for the applicant. If there is any discrepancy between the actual documents and the photocopies sent, it would be pointless to actually show up at the companies doorstep.

On the other hand, an actual license would be a great Master copy for possible conterfit usage. I never have had to and never would myself, but thats just me.

dreamingA380
20th Apr 2004, 11:31
Jeez,

I dont even let my logbook out of my sight when i'm at our beloved CAA! let alone some tin pot outfit on the other side of the world.

I have seen quite a few packages go missing or get damaged, even with the best will in the world these things do happen.

So tough boobs basically! if it was me....they will have to make do with a photocopy for now, then i would offer to pitch up a few days early with the originals in hand to get the documentation drama over with.

Good luck!

chris
21st Apr 2004, 19:50
Can anyone shed light on what the uk CAA expects? I am very shortly due to apply for my fatpl and I know you have to take my log book in. For obvious reasons I am not happy to part with it. Does the UK CAA take it or look at it and then give it back to you before you leave and then send your license to you when it is processed. or do they keep it and send it all to you when the application is processed?

Cheers.

wobblyprop
22nd Apr 2004, 07:13
chris,

you will have to send in your logbook as they want to check your hours add up.

Send it by recorded post and get a photocopy of EVERY page

chris
22nd Apr 2004, 19:48
cheers wobbly, will do mate.

moku
23rd Apr 2004, 15:13
Well I called the CAA to ask their view on sending off original
documents i.e logbooks and licenses etc... They do not have a problem with posting them off to foreign countries etc.. If all goes wrong and they get lost you just need to have an affidavit drawn up stating that the logbook was lost and the hours that were in it. They are happy with that, they also pointed out LASORS part A page 26 which lists the requirements. Also when asked he said that a copy of the last few pages would be more than sufficient.

Hope that helps those who like myself have been asked to post off original docs.

Moku.

Pointer
24th Apr 2004, 18:55
At one point i was applying for my ATPL and personaly brought my logbooks to the CAA. Then left my dear books and went home.

Two days later i visited friends at an adres i used to live at (6 yrs earlier) and was supprised by an express package, delivered just one day earlier. The package contained my logbooks :mad: no need to say i was a little upset. Since that day i don't part with my logbooks for a second.

I have now a complete digital logbook with every flight in it, it works wonders and lets me add it up any wich way they want.

After the mishap the CAA accepted a transcript from this digital version. This is my only logbook now.

Pointer :E

Fuel Crossfeed
2nd May 2004, 18:47
Would think twice about sending my log by post, even by recorded delivery after watching "Third class post" on dispatches the other night!!!