PDA

View Full Version : Landing Fees Slashed at Manchester..

Bagso
15th Apr 2004, 10:02
Man Airport announced that it slashed landing Fees from April 12th.

Anybody know the new fee comparisons with the London Airports......?

HOODED
15th Apr 2004, 10:19
Probably finally realised they have competition at LPL, LBA and soon Robin Hood Doncaster Shefield International or whatever they're calling Finningley these days.:hmm:

LGS6753
15th Apr 2004, 20:00
MCR has 20m passengers at present. By reducing fees, this already large figure has suddenly become much less profitable. (The profit is made at the margin, so reducing the fees by say £5m, has the effect of £5m less profit).
To replace the lost £5m, they will have to attract one hell of a lot of new business - to an airport that's already busy and capacity constrained.
But then it's run by local authorities isn't it? Say no more.:mad:

MAN777
15th Apr 2004, 22:32
MAN is owned by local authorities but run as a PLC and rest assured there are some very shrewd businessmen running the show. Landing fees are only a portion of the huge turnover at the airport. If you have seen the car park fees you will know what i mean. !

Every business on the site pays a portion of its earnings to the airport, I think its in the region of 10 %, every burger sold, every litre of fuel loaded all contributes to MAPLC. I was talking to a fueller at MAN the other day and he reckons that the airport gets through 5 million litres of jet A1 a day.

Quick sum 10% of 18 pence litre, 1.8 pence x 5 million, ermm I make that £90,000 a day on fuel alone.

You get nothing for free at MAN

nighthawk117
15th Apr 2004, 23:50
just a quick question related to LGS6753's post. Will the reduction in landing fees effect existing routes?

Will the discount only apply to new routes announced after 12th April, or will it effect all existing routes? I always thought once an airline negotiated fees for a route they were locked into a contract?

From a business point of view it makes sense to reduce fees to attract new routes, but like LGS6753 said, if it impacts on existing routes then it sure isnt of any benefit to MAN...?

unwiseowl
16th Apr 2004, 12:00
If the the airport is at capacity, why would they be making such a desperate attempt to attract more business? Unless of course the price cut has been imposed by the CAA.

Thomas_Cook_757-300
17th Apr 2004, 10:19
Hi,
MAN isn't at capacity. It comes close at peek times though!

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-300

EGCC
17th Apr 2004, 14:10
Have we got our facts right here? Have the fee's been slashed, or have they just been kept at the same level this year.

If you read the MEN, I should point out that they incorrectly stated that Manchester Airport had slashed fee's this year. They have issued a retraction and now report:

"Last year, landing fees were slashed following a savage cost-cutting programme and budget airlines came to the airport for the first time.

Airport bosses now believe they can attract new airlines and new routes without drastically altering prices.

A Manchester Airport spokeman said: "We are committed to increasing the network of services offered by all airlines. Our pricing policy acts as a double incentive - for operations at off peak times and for new routes, both long haul and short haul.

"Our pricing structure continues to be both competitive and efficient for all airlines who remain under huge pressure to cut costs. Equally, our fees and charges also exist to ensure Manchester Airport provides the best possible standards of service to airlines and their passengers."
MEN Story (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/stories/Detail_LinkStory=87141.html)

EGCC