PDA

View Full Version : Any good advise ?

Kevin-Borg
15th Apr 2004, 09:44
Hi there guys, my first time on PPRUNE.

My name is Kevin and Im 17 yrs old and presently in grade 11. ( Cape Town based)

I need some help here. I have a interest in becoming a pilot (preferbly rotor wing).

My grades at school are pretty good however im not sure what kind of results are needed for the SAAF, ( does skin colour matter? ) or are their any other requirements one needs?

I have heard that trying to get a PPL privately costs about a 100 grand, then one still needs to get a further 150 hrs for a comm... after all that, i have been told that you cannot easily get work with 200 hrs..any truth in this?

HELP please, where do i start?

Thanks chaps

Kevin.

ASD
15th Apr 2004, 18:23
Hi there

Firstly, keep up the school grades as they will always help with no matter what you try to pursue as a career - for a pilot, usually good maths, science and geography marks are a bonus...

You can try and apply for SAA's cadet pilot program (http://www.flysaa.com) where you will sit a few psychometric tests etc and if you make it through their system, they will train you up free of charge and offer you a job on completion - however dont get your hopes up yet, yes this is mainly for previously disadvantaged people and they only take on about 10 people out of the hundreds that apply (however you might be the 1 they do accept, so certainly worth trying!). That would be the ultimate for any wannabe pilot but in reality the chances are slim and you may have to do it privately at your own cost! (I believe Comair also have a cadet pilot system? not to sure on that one!)

As for the SAAF, hope you willing to sign a 12 year contract! Besides that yes it is also difficult to get in unless you were previously disadvantaged.

That leaves your option to basically paying your own way. Whoever told you the cost of a PPL was way out, you will be looking to pay about between R35000 and R40000 for a PPL but then remember you wont be able to get a job after that. Your best bet is to do your Commercial Licence (That may cost just over R100000) and then do your instructors licence - hence building up your hours!

You might also consider other options within the aviation industry - ever thought about being an air traffic controller? Try http://www.atns.co.za and have a look through their website. They will also pay for all your training and it is a fantastic career.

Hope this has helped.

15th Apr 2004, 21:10
Don't forget Kevin, there are many ways to pay for it yourself. I worked as an apprentice, a soldier, a miner, a barman, a salesman, a bricklayer and a hot-press operator, before I finally got my CPL. Being a pilot at heart, I paid for it as I could afford to. It took eight months to pay for the PPL and another two years for the CPL.

Good luck. I know you'll do it!

:}

Little One
16th Apr 2004, 08:58
ATNS is also taking predominatly Previously disadvantaged individuals.

However we have had lots of people join our ranks then use that salary to learn to fly then leave much to our managments disaproval.

Suggest you try enter an aviation career for starts even if it involves working ops bhind a dsk at a flight school etc then you can at least b in the industry and start learning.

Do a lot of research and see what works in your favour.

English grades can't be too good advice with a "C " but then my spelling also sucks

Deanw
16th Apr 2004, 09:09
Hi Kevin

You'll find complete details of the requirements and procedures to join the SAAF on my website ( www.SAairforce.co.za (http://www.saairforce.co.za) ). It can be found under 'Personnel - Recruitment' on the main menu at the top of the page.

Yes, there are thousands of applicants, yes, they do place emphasise on PDI's and yes, you do have to sign up for 13 years.

But, if you want to fly, try everything and never give up!

Good luck :ok:

RUDAS
17th Apr 2004, 11:22
one of the best bits of advice is to either work in ops behind a desk at a flight school or operator,or,if you're technically minded,try to get a job in heli maintenance.both are great ways to get into the industry and get known.