PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ chosing A330?

Vmo248
15th Apr 2004, 07:34
Air New Zealand is tipped to buy a fleet of Airbus A330 twin-engine jets, worth up to $1.2 billion, to replace its Boeing 767-300 aircraft on medium to long-haul routes.

Industry sources have said a decision will be announced in June, about a month earlier than indicated by the airline.

Air New Zealand is believed to be evaluating Airbus and Boeing options still.

It is expected the board will be presented with the favoured aircraft types by the end of May.

Price negotiations with both manufacturers would follow, with a final decision expected about mid-June.

Boeing was offering its 777 range and the smaller 7E7, which does not go into production till 2008.

However, an industry source said indications were that Air New Zealand would settle on the A330 range. These aircraft can fly the Pacific and Southeast Asia routes serviced by the nine 767-300s they would replace.

Top Air New Zealand managers were at the Airbus headquarters in Toulouse, France, at the end of last month. It is understood that the visit prompted Airbus executives to pull out of an important transport conference in Sydney at the same time, though Air New Zealand managing director Ralph Norris attended.

No other South Pacific airline flies the Boeing 777. That and the four-year wait for the 7E7 counted against Boeing's chances, the source said.

Air New Zealand spokesman Mike Tod said the airline was still working through options and no decision had been made on what aircraft type would be bought or how many.

"At different times during the past five months senior Air New Zealand managers have visited both the Boeing and Airbus factories as part of the appraisal process," Mr Tod said.

He confirmed that an executive who reports directly to Mr Norris was in Toulouse two weeks ago.

A fleet of nine A330s would be worth about $1.2 billion at list prices, but Air New Zealand would extract a substantial discount from Airbus, reflecting difficult aircraft sale conditions and an incentive to break longstanding ties with Boeing.

Air New Zealand has already ordered 15 Airbus A320 jets to replace aging 767-200s and 737-300s on short-haul international routes.

Seven A320s have been delivered.

The 767-300 fleet had an average age of eight years, but the aircraft were no longer the most suitable for the routes flown, Mr Norris said. Half the fleet would come off operating lease in the next two years, presenting an opportunity to replace them.

Air New Zealand was also expected to unveil details of a $160 million refit of its fleet of eight Boeing 747-400 jumbo jets in June which would see them through to the next decade.

The biggest changes are expected to be the introduction of seat-back video screens in economy class and replacing first class with a business class with lie-flat seats.

<ends>

:ok:

Cloud Cutter
16th Apr 2004, 05:59
Oh dear:(

Looks like our national airline is to become Air(bus) New Zealand:* :{ :confused: :ouch:

esreverlluf
16th Apr 2004, 07:00
I guess "chosing" is an Unzud spucufic phinutic spilling . . .

troppo
16th Apr 2004, 07:40
LOOK! its one of them convicts that can spell !!!!!!
:p

Thump & Go
16th Apr 2004, 07:45
Yeah Troppo, but he can't spell his name though!:D

ZK-NSJ
16th Apr 2004, 10:27
don't believe all that you read.............

BCF Breath
18th Apr 2004, 05:15
Yeah, last week it was the 777 ?

propaganda
18th Apr 2004, 09:48
I think you will find they go Airbus, The A320 crews will do a CCQ course on to the A330 and be dual qualified, Big savings to the company $$$$$$ and a good mix of flying for the troops.

just the facts
20th Apr 2004, 10:46
having problems posting if this gets thru please ignore

Speeds high
21st Apr 2004, 01:06
Heard on the Airwaves Last Night

Auck Ctrl: NZ??? Decrease speed to 160 knots, the airbus ahead appears to be slowing to minimum clean

Pilot: No problem, he cant do anything about it, its probably programmed that way!

Pilots want to fly these things why?

lame
21st Apr 2004, 01:58
I hope it is true. :ok:

Will mean another different sticker from Airbus. ;)

Buster Hyman
21st Apr 2004, 02:58
And that will mean I have to buy more stickers from you, eh Lame???

lame
21st Apr 2004, 06:04
Well it would be about time you bought some more......... ;)

Buster Hyman
21st Apr 2004, 06:51
It's those high prices that keep me away!!!!:p

lame
21st Apr 2004, 07:03
If they were any lower, I would be paying you to take them. :{

NoseGear
21st Apr 2004, 10:24
Speeds High, ever flown an Airbus? Thought not. The speed is no more programmed than in any Boeing. The pilot has the same control over speed and for whatever reason the Airbus ahead was slowing was probably for operational reasons, not because the computer told him to. :rolleyes:

Pilots fly what they are given, not what they want by the way.

Lame, stickers? Say it aint Bumper stickers!!:p :D

Nosey

Buster Hyman
21st Apr 2004, 13:46
Works for me Lame...I'll give you the address & you can make cheques payable to "Busters benevolent fund":ok:

lame
21st Apr 2004, 20:24
Sorry, haven't got a cheque account, or any money for that matter. :{

Speeds high
22nd Apr 2004, 00:58
I know that Nosey, Just something I heard that i thought was funny, boy some people are like a turbine engine, whind them up to 60% and they are self sustaining!

NoseGear
22nd Apr 2004, 04:06
Speeds high, I agree about the comment being a good funny. If you re-read your post, it sounds like you believed what the NZ pilot was saying about pre programmed speed control. Then you ask the question about pilots wanting to fly them. Wouldn't you, given the opportunity?

If you think I over reacted, then my apologies, the milk and cookies are in the crew room. :ok:

Nosey

belowMDA
22nd Apr 2004, 08:43
regarding the original posting what are the preferences out there? for me 777.

lame
23rd Apr 2004, 03:02
NoseGear,

Sorry I missed your comment before. :(

Yes, although I don't think too many of the collectors throughout the World, would actually waste them on a bumper. :{

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~holgatedc/mypic1.jpg

Or check out my web site at

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~holgatedc/index.html

Best regards,

Lame. :ok:

Cloud Cutter
24th Apr 2004, 08:14
Pilots fly what they are given, not what they want by the way.

Hmmm, the Eagle Boys beg to differ. However you are of course correct (unfortunately) in most cases. If only the punters gave a damn how they got from A to B (B must be a very cool place, everyone seems to be going there!)

Go :mad: bus!!! :yuk:

lame
24th Apr 2004, 23:42
Air NZ Examines Aircraft Alternatives

25/04/2004 09:22 AM - David Stone - The Independent

Air NZ is working towards a crucial decision about replacements for its B767-300ER (extended range) aircraft, with Airbus and Boeing vying for the company's order.

The outcome will likely be known by mid-year.

While Boeing's B7E7 would appear the ideal replacement (The Independent 7 April) and might well live up to the manufacturer's "Dreamliner" tag, its availability only in 2008 rules it out for this round. Rather, it will be a strong contender for future acquisition.

When Air NZ acquired its B767-300ERs in the 1990s, they were seen as an attractive mid-sized plane for the airline's North Asian routes - Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and originally Korea - as well as for the indirect services to North America via Nadi, Rarotonga and Tahiti.

But although those planes are still relatively "young," averaging eight years, Air NZ is looking for aircraft with improved range and performance to better enable it to compete with the Asian airlines, in particular, and to operate to new markets.

With the recent negotiation of more liberal arrangements with China, Shanghai offers huge possibilities if the route can be served by a suitable aircraft.

The most likely candidates for replacing the B767-300ERs appear to be Boeing's 777-200ER and Airbus' A340-500.

Various models of both aircraft "families" are operated to New Zealand by foreign carriers: B777s by Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Korean Air and A340s by Emirates and Cathay Pacific.

Both are efficient aircraft, bigger than the current B767-300ERs, carrying slightly more than 300 passengers in three-class configuration, but can fit in about 50 more people if Air NZ intends to continue providing only business and economy class on the routes involved.

They also have much greater cargo capacity.

The major difference is the B777-200ER is twin-engine, while the A340-500 has four engines.

The range of the Boeing plane - up to 14,315 kilometres - is more than adequate for the Asian markets and indirect trans-Pacific routes to North America.

The Airbus, however, has a longer range - up to 16,390 kilometres - sufficient for non-stop services to Los Angeles and San Francisco and beyond - but Air NZ is refurbishing the B747-400s for those routes and on to London.

Both Airbus in Toulouse and Boeing in Seattle are being visited by Air NZ executives, who are examining all aspects of the alternative aircraft and their performance including the implications for ANZES, the company's important engineering subsidiary.

The stakes are high for the two manufacturers now and in the longer term.
Airbus sees the A340-500 as furthering the inroads it made by persuading Air NZ, hitherto an all-Boeing airline, to switch its narrow-bodied planes from B737s to A320s.

Boeing sees the B777 as the means o f introducing Air NZ to the wider B777-B7E7 family for the airline's future requirements.

For its part, Air NZ might see benefit in continuing to have both Airbus narrow-bodied and Boeing wide-bodied aircraft in its fleet.

Against these considerations and a hardheaded assessment of the characteristics of the rival aircraft, Air NZ will also want to get the best possible financial deal.

On past evidence, unless Boeing can convince Air NZ to its view that the B777s provide the more efficient and appropriate option, Airbus might repeat its A320 strategy with a deal the airline feels it can't refuse.