PDA

View Full Version : APST - IPAS Aptitude Test Online

Leezyjet
14th Apr 2004, 21:12
I came across this link yesterday on the GAPAN website, http://www.apst.com/ . It's an online aptitude test run by Airline Pilot Selection and Training which is based in the Netherlands

It cost about £20 to take, but I would suggest that you turn your pop-up contols off to allow you to access the results as I had mine turned on and could not get the results to print out as they come up as a pop up and ended up going through the whole test again (which wasn't a bad thing as I totally blitzed it the 2nd time and got a great score).

When I did realise why I couldn't access the results and turned off the pop up controls it would only allow me to print out my rather abysmal first attempt results.

Has anyone else tried the test ?. I did a search and could not find anything on it. If so, how does it compare to other aptitude tests such as the GAPAN test ?.

It seemed pretty good value for money as far as I was concerned (compared to the GAPAN test) although I would have been more pleased if I could have printed out my 2nd test results.

:)

bazzaman96
15th Apr 2004, 02:10
I just had a go...and thought it was good.

My only comment would be make sure you have a decent mouse before starting it - my mouse isn't very sensitive, which made the first game (ball crosshair) quite difficult.

Also, all of the games give you a few practice runs to explain how they work...except the mathematics section. This caught be out, so while I was clicking to progress without paying much attention to the accuracy of my answers, I didn't realise it was part of the test under four questions in!

I managed to get 5181 on it though, which was good.

Damo29
15th Apr 2004, 08:41
Hi,

I think that the GAPAN tests are geared more towards assessment of your coordination and spatial awareness skills.

If I understand it correctly they are run by the RAF officer selection centre, but GAPAN provide members (experianced civil pilots) to feedback on your performance.

High Wing Drifter
15th Apr 2004, 10:11
They look similar. The GAPAN test had one or two more tests regarding spacial awareness and instrument interpretation. Maybe some small differences in the hand-eye stuff. There is no maths stuff in the GAPAN test. Also, rudder pedals come into one of the coordination tests.

Does the online one introduce increasing random errors that you have to correct and compensate for? The GAPAN one also reverses the effect of the controls on one test and measures (I think) how long it takes you to get used to it.

The big deal with GAPAN is that it is, apparently, officially recognised as the emprical evidence suggests that good GAPAN score translate to good real performances...oh so we are told anyway.

If I understand it correctly they are run by the RAF officer selection centre, but GAPAN provide members (experianced civil pilots) to feedback on your performance.
Correct. It is well worth the money IMHO. You are shortchanging youself if you don't get yourself adequately tested before spending wads of spondoolies.

redout
18th Apr 2004, 17:16
Hey
I just completed the test on the site and it gave me my results but that was it, i was then only given a link back to the homepage, can anyone tell me how i can take the test again as it clearly states on the site that you can take the test several times
thanks

bazzaman96
19th Apr 2004, 14:55
I think it means 'you can take the test again...BUT you'll have to pay'.

Someone correct me if this is wrong, as I'd like to take my test again too.

Fanois
19th Apr 2004, 15:57
How can this test be kosha if you are allowed numerous attempts? Surely aptitude should be measured on a level footing, with all allowed only a certain number of goes? The RAF only allow candidates to sit their aptitude tests twice, with no less than a year between attempts, and in a very much controlled/monitored environment.

Am i missing the point? Are these tests just to establish - to oneself - whether or not its worth forking out 60k+ for the relevant qualifications?

Apologies if i'm jumping to conclusions, but i cant see how such a test would stand up to an employer/selective-flight-school as a measure, or proof, of ability to be a succesful student.

I'll probably have a go though!

bazzaman96
19th Apr 2004, 21:41
They are only preliminary tests to give you an idea of whether you've got some of the basic skills it takes for a career as a pilot in the first place.

Saying that, the tests are only one factor, and a low score wouldn't necessarily mean you'll be a bad pilot, I'd suggest. It's just something to test yourself on.

This is just an example test.

Leezyjet
20th Apr 2004, 18:40
It let me take the test twice, but I don't have a clue how I managed to get back to the start as I was fiddling around with it trying to find my results from the first test and before I knew it I was taking the test again from the start.

Just wish I could have printed the results of the second test though.

:)

eoincarey
24th May 2005, 16:55
hey ppl

Ive just taken the ipas test. Am I the only person who thinks this is a complete con??

Most of the sections have practice parts, but not the Maths part. This wasn't made clear, so I was half way through the 10 mins when I realised it was the real thing! Also, there was no timer to tell you how long you had left. Helpful!

On the memory recall, when I typed in the sequence of letters, for most of them it would ignore the first letter of the sequence and start with the second, so the whole sequence was wrong. To make things worse, a lot of the time, the last letter you typed for one sequence magically shifted to become the first letter of the next sequence, and of course there was no way of changing this. As a result, just about all of my sequences were wrong, as I only realised it was doing this at the end!

On the bingo game at the end, I really wasn't sure what you were meant to do about the red squares in the corner. I kept on clicking them and pressing x at the same time, while I found out later that all i was meant to do was press x, meaning I got myself in a total fluster.

To top it all off, at the end all I got was a grid of seemingly arbitrary numbers and a one word description - "good" etc. However, from reading the descriptions of the test, I had been expecting an interpretation of these results, like a report, not just one f***ing word!!

But of course, you can retake the test, for another £20!!

BEWARE THE IPAS TEST!!

ETC