PDA

View Full Version : Anyone any ideas?

eastern wiseguy
14th Apr 2004, 19:15
A pal of mine running windowsXP has suddenly been locked out of the internet.He is up to date with his ISP in terms of cash and his modem is working ...we have been able to ping various sites.His help bod at Virgin says it appears to be a case of "spyware taking over IE6 " and he "will have to format his hard drive" to get things going again.Before he does can ANYONE help...thanks in advance
Eastern

E-Liam
14th Apr 2004, 19:52
Hi Eastern Wiseguy,

Format for spyware.. ?????? Nah, :D:D Maybe a really nasty virus, and all but a few are easy to fix. Tech guys reading from cue cards.. :{

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/), unzip, and place it in it’s own folder, (not in the temp folder) doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a PM to me.

This will give me a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

I'll let you know what to do next. HJT will fit on a 3.5 floppy, so it's easy enough to move between machines, and the scan generated is just a small notepad file.

Cheers

Liam

mazzy1026
15th Apr 2004, 12:11
Take a look at the 'Guide for eliminating spyware.........' too at the top of this forum!