PDA

View Full Version : American pilot in Malaysia

tomcat21
14th Apr 2004, 16:20
Need some advice. I lived in Malaysia last year for a few months on short term contract flying a Hawker. I am going back next month on the same contract but this time I am typed in the B-737. I have a US FAA ATP with Hawker, Citation, and B-737 ratings and about 3500TT. My question is how do I get on with say an outfit like Air Asia? Is there a conversion I need to do on my license? I see companies like Cathay hiring Yanks but when I look at carriers from Singapore and Malaysia they always state that you must be a citizen. And ideas? I know of personally and see so many non US pilots working here in the states as Flt. instructors, charter pilots, etc. but it doesn;t seem fair that its so hard when us Yanks want to fly in another country. I wonder why??

Capt Snooze
14th Apr 2004, 19:29
Well, that should draw some fire.......................

Kaptin M
14th Apr 2004, 22:39
You will need to get a Malaysian licence issued, based on a validation of your US ATPL - no big deal, if you have the required experience. You'll do an Air Law exam, and a medical, pay your money, and Bob's your uncle.

"Singapore and Malaysia they always state that you must be a citizen" - sorry, not true. There are hundreds of expats flying for SQ, and MAS still have a significant number I believe....but it doesn;t seem fair Did anyone ever say it was supposed to be?

tomcat21
14th Apr 2004, 23:49
Okay, that souns great. But where in Malaysia do I go? In the USA you just goto the FSDO. And looking at MAS website the first thing on there is that you must be a malaysian citizen.

Airbus Lover
15th Apr 2004, 04:28
any idea how the procedure to convert a PPL issued by Transport Canada to the Malaysian license is like?

any exemptions?

Aileron Roll
15th Apr 2004, 05:57
tomcat 21

The company you work for in Malaysia will take care of your licence conversion.

As to the many non US pilots flying in the States, perhaps you could advise how we go about getting work there !

AirBus Lover

To convert your PPL, contact the Malaysian DCA, you will find they are quite good to deal with, and will help you out any way they can !

15th Apr 2004, 13:31
what is a 'yank' doing in this part of the world.

Of all countries in the region- Malaysia.

Is there no more jobs back home that you have

to track this far off??

At least you're in luck for some SPG's

:cool:

geo7E7
15th Apr 2004, 16:28
We see pilots of all races and nationals anywhere around the world nowdays but to make a remark about being FAIR to a yank and giving him a chance to fly in this region the same way some of us asians back in the states is uncalled for. FYI Tomcat, it's more of an economic issue...expats get more and do the same job like any of the locals and most airlines in this region have accepted and realized that their OWN people can and will contribute as good as any expat, be it the yanks, oz or the english. For political reasons, yes, we employ some but now with a very limited number and maybe the number will increase if you opt to be paid as much as the locals. No offence, but this is purely economics!

Malaysian DCA : 00603-88866280 ( UTC + 8 );)

mainwheel
15th Apr 2004, 17:13
Is this an aviation or political question.

The asian civil aviation system is basicially of copy of the Poms CAA.

FAA type systems are more in place and accepted in the middle east though. (if your quiry is of the latter mentioned).

Working in asia can be a treat. You will meet some lovely people, see different cultures, and enjoy some mouth orgasm food.

If you can get satellite dish access you might even see the "world" series live!!.

mktong
16th Apr 2004, 06:12
Hie,
im a malaysian, right now im doing my FAA commercial stage 2,already got my instrument.. i do not know what to do next when i got my commercial and multi, should i go for the first officer program in US, to gain somemore multi hours before converting it to the Malaysian 1? any advise? what does the DCA required for the Malaysian Frozen ATPL? can i just apply to air asia or any airlines in malaysia with my FAA CPL IR MULTI? or i need to convert it to the malaysian 1st by myself? $$$$$$$$, how many hours the dca needs? i knew that DCA doesnt like part 141....but im already in that boat... :(
please suggest....big headache
is that true that the airlines in malaysia need fresh pilots badly?
please please please fellow pilots please give me some guidance
thank you

triplegem
16th Apr 2004, 16:03
Tomcat,

To get a flying job in Malaysia at the moment is definately easier
than for others to get the same in EU or USA.Though the pay is nothing to shout about, one still can live decently and at the same time clock some jet time which some will desperately seeking back home.

Since u are type rated on B737, your FAA ATP could be validatedfor a year or 2 . U will have to apply foe a job first, the company that employ u will take care of the work permit and validation. Be prepared to enter into some kind of a training bond.
Within the validation period u will have to sit for Malaysian ATPL
papers which are set by CAA international. I am afraid FAA ATPqualification will not be granted any exemption,unlike CAA or JAA.

SuperRanger
17th Apr 2004, 13:56
mktong,

to fly in msia you will definately need to convert your licence into malaysia cpl/ir. on that issue, you will need to contact malaysia dca. from what i gather, they can be quite tough with faa guys. no idea why.

once you have successfully converted your licence, then i would suggest either mas or airasia. i would believe airasia will be easier as mas, though short of copilots, tend to be selective but no harm giving it a shot.

no doubt needs $$$ for conversion. currently, the only flying school i know of in msia is mfa in malacca. heard there's another one in langkawi or ipoh but i'm not sure. dca malaysia will be able to provide you with the answer.

good luck.

SR