PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Rat Race

The Invisible Man
14th Apr 2004, 14:43
I am meeting more and more people who are opting out of the "Rat Race" of modern day living.

On my recent trip on the canals of England and Wales, I met four youngish ( 45/50) people who had giving up the modern day lifestyle. Their explanations for doing so being the same in each case.

Not wanting anymore pressure, stress etc. Not having to keep up with the neighbours. Having a lifestyle that made them totally happy and contented. Doing work, any work that earned them a few bob or two.

All had sold their wordly possessions, bought liveabord narrowboats with all mod cons, and sailed into the sunset.

Mrs. T.I.M and I are very tempted to do the same. What are the downfalls I wonder. Anyone else opted out, anyone considering opting out of the Rat Race?

( Dont ya just hate the first few days back at work after a holiday!):{

whiz
14th Apr 2004, 15:29
We think about it most days TIM, how we'd love to sell the business, move somewhere warm and scrape a living. We have 3 young kids, so unfortunately it'll have to wait a while longer. Having said all that, it would probably benefit the kids growing up in a different culture, learning a new language ect ... :rolleyes: :confused: :hmm:

con-pilot
14th Apr 2004, 16:28
I met a couple on Vancouver Island a few years back that had done exactly that. They were from Chicago, he was a vice-President of an insurance company and she had been a schoolteacher. Their children had all graduated from University and were living on their own away from home.

One day a major blizzard hit Chicago in the afternoon, it took them 3 or 4 hours to get home. When they finally reached their home they discovered that it had been broken into and totally trashed, including most of the windows broken out.

That did it for them. They took early retirement; sold everything they had, cashed in insurance policies, sold most of their stocks and bonds and bought a 42-foot trawler.

They basically motor up and down the US West Coast going north when it gets too hot and then back to the south when it gets too cold. When they get low on funds they just anchor out near a small town and wait for more funds from their retirement and the few stocks they still own.

The funny thing is they related to me is that because yachting people are so open and friendly that they have many very, very rich friends who own huge yachts that they socialize with on a regular basis. Because this guy really doesnít care about working or impressing anybody he has been offered very high salary positions with some of these people. He just laughs and tells them heís just too happy living on the boat.

Sounds damn good to me sometimes, but I donít think I could fit all of Mrs. C-Pís shoes on a 42-foot boat. In fact I know I canít!

:) :)

LGS6753
14th Apr 2004, 20:03
Obviously on a 42 foot boat she'll need 21 pairs.:} :}

None of the above
14th Apr 2004, 21:06
As a wise colleague once pointed out:
'Remember, even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat'.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Apr 2004, 22:52
You'll still need an income. Boats deteriorate faster than houses, and their capital value increase won't be anything like that of real estate - in fact it may go down in value even if well maintained.

And you'll need a winter mooring (many canals are closed in winter for maintenance), which don't come cheap.

And when you get older, do you really want be operating a boat, even a narrow boat never mind a sea going trawler, in a damp environment? A stable base with friends and family and a good local close by would surely be preferable?

SSD

Big Tudor
14th Apr 2004, 23:05
Tis very tempting TIM, especially, as you say, on the first day back from holidays. Every time I go back to Bonnie Scotland I can be found browsing the windows of estate agents for a wee croft to sustain me and Mrs T.
However, reality often hits fairly quickly. When you wake in the morning to find a 6 foot snow drift twix you and civilisation then the rat race can be a very tempting place to be.

And besides, how would you pprune from a narrow boat? ;)

Keef
14th Apr 2004, 23:47
SSD has it. We have a good friend who sold up and set up home in a narrowboat. She soon became heartily sick of everything being damp, of her laptop and other electronic equipment rapidly becoming unreliable because of the damp, and many other related problems.

She couldn't raise the capital to buy back her former house: the house went up 100% in value over the period on the boat, while the boat depreciated a bit. She's now in a much smaller house in a place she doesn't like because it's all she can afford.

The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but that may be because it's a bog over there.

Give up your worldly goods and take up the ministry, now, and things might be different. The pay is lousy but the rewards are out of this world ;)

montster
15th Apr 2004, 08:44
I think the money is a side issue - the question is do you REALLY want to give up your job, lifestyle etc and do nothing? Some people can, and they find things to keep themselves entertained. My father, for instance, retired at 50 and went to live in a remote village in France. He is happy and is very involved with the village life, plays tennis, produces wine.. (but does watch an awful lot of TV!). I personnally don't think that even when I reach 50 I would be able to do that and be happy. Conversely, My father in law is desperately trying not to retire, despite the fact that he can easily afford it and is approaching 65 - he knows he won't know what to do with all that spare time!

For every person who has done it successfully, you'll find loads who tried and failed. Just look at the relocation TV programmes where people go to a foreign county in search of the perfect life - most of them don't find it:(

DishMan
15th Apr 2004, 08:59
Oi! You bunch of pessimists - have a heart will you :E

Don't you remember my appeal for support????

Going for the Dream (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117849)

During my little looking into what property is available i stumbled across a small cycling holiday business...now I have a colleague who I knew was thinking of things similar to me but not desperately....anyway I sent him a link to the advert........after swearing at me for presenting him with such an ideal opportunity too early (he was thinking a couple of years hence..) they have done loads of research, going to the UK to check out the house there for readying to sell....and they've booked flights to France to meet the owners etc and have sorted out a bridging loan already......he hopes to be there before Christmas :mad:

And another colleague just returned from an Easter break inFrance with the news he's just bought a place!

All I need is for someone to buy my house here! (Anyone interested???:D)

The Invisible Man
15th Apr 2004, 19:12
Well decisions have been made.

We are selling house, I'm going on the game, and Mrs.T.I.M is taking in washing and ironing.

We have given it some great thought. We are selling the house, buying a slightly bigger boat, and an apartment or small house that will give us our income if we rent it out, and somewhere to fall back on if we get too old and feeble to manage. We have mooring now so that is no problem.

The comments about the boat being damp... not a problem with a solid fuel stove, the opposite in fact, we are too warm even in the depths of winter it was a comfortable 23c in most of the boat. I knew the Scientific weather forecaster would come in handy!

So hopefully by this time next year........

either :ok:

or :{

autosync
15th Apr 2004, 19:41
I tried living on a boat before, yeah there were Ideal surroundings and was nice to have so much fresh air and catching dinner was nice but if you are taller then 3 and half feet forget it! I was Constantly ducking and still banging the head.

Now I am stuck with a boat that is costing a fortune to store, won't sell unless it gets a huge paint job, now is the time of the year to buy or sell but the "experts" I hired to paint her are all cowboys, constantly bitching and moaning about the weather all day and how they can't strip or paint (Strip the paint, I mean!!)

And if you think that Aviation is filled with con artists you would not believe the scamming that goes on in the Nautical world, every body is out for a quick buck, except me, who constantly looses out!
Give me a house with picket fences in a nice town or city with good restauraunts and entertainment, and a place to go walking or running in peace any day!!

P.s T.I.M, wanna buy a nice motor cruiser?

Boss Raptor
15th Apr 2004, 20:12
Over the last 6 months I have received calls from 6 friends, all different careers and ages varying from 40's to 55...all had enough all cashing in and going abroad for an easier life with a 'part time' job...5 to Spain, 1 to Turkey

All quoting 'quality of life' (or lack of...) in the UK and wanting more time to enjoy themselves with less stress

Another friend has sold his plastics company and at 50 has bought a car valeting franchise...same reasons as above and doesnt want the stress and wants to work outside