PDA

View Full Version : Where were the parents?!

Ranger One
14th Apr 2004, 12:21
From the BBC:

A seven-year-old disabled boy had to be rescued from a conveyor belt after falling onto an airport's baggage handling system.
The boy, who has Down's Syndrome, climbed over an unmanned check-in desk at Stansted Airport in Essex at 0900 BST on Monday.

Staff monitoring an X-ray machine raised the alarm when they thought he was a doll and stopped the belt.

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/3624707.stm

R1

crewrest
14th Apr 2004, 13:30
I turned round at STN last week to find my son doing the same on an unmanned Ryanair desk, there are no barriers on some of the desks, probably cost the BAA too much money

Daysleeper
14th Apr 2004, 14:23
Like the lawsuit which will now cost them a lot more.

Sharjah Night Shift
14th Apr 2004, 16:24
It could only happen on the Catholic Hajj!

Jerricho
14th Apr 2004, 17:52
The spokesman said: "As a result of the incident we have reviewed all the procedures and processes we have in place.

"We are confident we have the necessary precautions in place and they are acted upon where necessary."

Like big signs up saying "Parents are responsible for their children." and "Airport staff are not babysitters."

This reminds me a little of the unfortunate accident at Heathrow last year where a child was placed on top of a loaded baggage trolley, overballanced and fell off into the path of a car. Very sad incident, however I remember rumblings of BAA being responsible.

Paracab
14th Apr 2004, 20:38
Where were the parents?!

I have it on good authority that they were not present. The child was being looked after by carers.

Glad to hear he got away with it.

sixmilehighclub
14th Apr 2004, 23:38
If a child can get that far, how far can an unchecked package get?

Imagine the fun being able to switch the baggage tags over behind the scenes.

pilotwolf
15th Apr 2004, 00:08
...don't you people realise that NO one is responsible for their own actions these days - if they were they wouldn't be able to complain or sue for their own stupidity!

Last summer at LGW, whilst in uniform with ID clearly visible, dared to suggest to family from hell that they stopped their two brats from climbing on the reclaim belt and got told to "F*** off and mind my own f*****g business". Sure they would have been quick enough to call 222 if said brats had been injured though.

:mad: :mad: :mad: