PDA

View Full Version : PPL needed for ATPLs?

Aerofoil
14th Apr 2004, 11:58
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether or not it is a requirement by the CAA for a person to have done all aspects of the PPL (although doesnt need the license in his hand) before starting a full time ATPL ground school course?
Or is it just a requirement by some schools for this to be done?

The reason i ask is that i just have my skills test to do and the date for this is very close to the start date of my ATPL course. So should i fail (fingers crossed i wont) i would like to know if i can still start my ATPL course and retake the skills test on a weekend during the course?

Thanks in advance

Dave

RichardH
14th Apr 2004, 12:28
Unless on an integrated (full-time) course, you MUST hold a PPL.
This is a CAA/JAA requirement. Your school will require sight of your PPL. Strongly advise you have a Class One medical as well.

FlyingForFun
14th Apr 2004, 12:42
That's not true, Richard.

The relevant text is in JAR-FCL1 (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/451854.pdf), Appendix 1 to section 1.285, which can be found on page 1-G-3, or page 125 of the linked file:An applicant shall be the holder of a PPL(A) [issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1].The important word is "applicant". You do not become an "applicant" until you apply to take the exams. So you can start the course without a PPL, but not do the exams.

FFF
--------------

Ropey Pilot
15th Apr 2004, 08:20
Probably not relevant in this case, but for the sake of completeness - a QSP (Qualified Service Pilot) can take the exams without holding a PPL

RichardH
15th Apr 2004, 11:35
FFF

Yes I did read it. "The applicant for an ATPL theory course.....".
Your quote is straight after the bit on the course
I reckon applicant in this case means applicant for a course.

Anyway, I would not accept anyone without a PPL on to an ATPL course. Most PPLs have enough of a culture shock, if they can't pass the PPL they have little chance of the ATPLs.

Mass Times Velocity
15th Apr 2004, 21:08
Was in the same position but in Ireland so not under CAA/JAA, just JAA. No problem starting the ATPL course but was told to forget about applying for any ATPL exams without having PPL in hand. Check your ATPL written test application form, it will probably ask for your PPL Licence number, hope that helps,
MTV

PS first writtens coming up real soon so I'm beginning to cry like a baby!!!:{