PDA

View Full Version : Paying for another type rating?

Aerofoil
14th Apr 2004, 11:46
Hi all

I was just curious about something.
Lets say that a pilot has paid for a 737 type rating then got a job, then 5 years down the line he wants to move onto bigger jets such as 767, 747 etc. What is the likelyhood that he will once again have to pay for the type rating on the larger jet should he get a job?

As i understand it, Britannia pay for the type rating training of their new recruits but do most of the other wide body jet operators do this too? Or is a case of 'you get a job but are bonded to pay for the type rating training'? (therefore you will have paid for 2 type ratings).

Thanks in advance

Dave

152wiseguy
14th Apr 2004, 14:16
Oh no, dont even go there. That's a scary thought.

Aerofoil
15th Apr 2004, 11:16
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Cheers
Dave

StudentInDebt
15th Apr 2004, 14:56
If the company you are moving to wants you to pay for your type rating then I guess you would have to. Same goes for bonding, if you join new company then they will bond you for the cost of your type rating. I understtand that those joining Ryanair and Easyjet pay for their ratings no matter what fleet they were previously on (unless it was a 737). At the moment the companies people seem to want to move to do not charge for initial type ratings, only by [b]not[\b] accepting job offers that involve paying for ratings will we keep the status quo.

If you are moving fleets within a company then, generally speaking, you do not have to pay for your next rating, although you may well be bonded (I believe Flybe did this last year).

The usual format for a bond is that you agree to repay the cost of any training should you choose to leave the company before a set period has ended (eg 3 years). During this period the amount you owe reduces, eg if you are bonded for 15000 and leave after 2 years you only payback 5000.