PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an affordable and high stantard flight school in SA.

black_teddy
14th Apr 2004, 10:33
Dear All,

I am a new member on board and am seaching for an affordable and high stantard flight school in SA to run my ppl cpl ir.

I will appreciate any response.

:O

bluesafrica
14th Apr 2004, 12:32
I have seen very good response about Cape Flying Services. Obviously worthwhile to to contact and to get more info about their offerings.
Beautiful area!
Blues:ok:

black_teddy
14th Apr 2004, 13:58
THX Bluesafrica!,

I must thank you for been the 1st to reply.

I have browsed through many flight schools profile (CAPE-TOWN) and they seems good, and I have been following some of the massages in this forum where some people did not say good about some school which involved one I planned to apply with (43 AIR SCHOOL) and am trying to be more carefull hence the need for an open advice.

What do you think.

:*

bluesafrica
14th Apr 2004, 14:24
I don't personally know any of them. Just what I see written and sometimes hear comments.
It obviously is a big decision and lot of money invested. So be carefull what ever you decide. Please, read Gunsss story here about Cape Flying Service it sure sounds like they have a very personal touch to run this school. I would give a lot more weight for such an attitude than money alone. Gunsss seems to be extremely happy for his own sons training and experiences with them.
I wish you all the best which ever way you decide.
You should write about your experiences, while selecting, training and living there!! It will be most helpfull for many others as well.
Good Luck!
Blues:ok: :ok: :ok:

ANVAK
14th Apr 2004, 14:33
You can't go far wrong with 43 Air School - however, if you anticipate training during our winter, consider the Highveld (clear skies all the time) and contact CFA at FAGC. Contact them through their website www.flyingacademy.co.za or phone +27 11 315 0197/8. Its a very good outfit.

406pilot
14th Apr 2004, 15:02
hi bro,
check out progress flight academy aswell,i was trained there about 9yrs ago,but i still reckon its amongst the best in africa..although not so upscale like 43 its still good training for money...
all the best,its a beautiful career u r thinking about unfortunately for some people its a bit of an uphill battle...

keep in touch

406pilot frm tanzania

ASD
14th Apr 2004, 19:58
Hi there

Consider Good Hope Flying Club - http://www.ghfc.org.za

They certainly are the cheapest flying school at Cape Town International Airport at the moment and arent half bad.

You may have to wait at the hold for 20 min or orbit a few times before bleing cleared for final - but isnt that the pleasure of flying at an international airport!

George Tower
14th Apr 2004, 22:20
I'm a member at Good Hope Flying Club and can certainly recommend them. It is however the best part of year since I flew with them but the training was good and the a/c well maintained. Flying in Cape Town is a pleasure not just because it's a great place but also the fact that it is an international airport does mean you have to keep your wits about you and actually increases your confidence and (theoretically) your RT skills as well.

However CT can get very busy, and I'm certainly considering going to somewhere like Port Elizabeth to do my IR, as I see there is very little to gain waiting for 20 mins on the ground with your engine running.

black_teddy
15th Apr 2004, 07:07
Gentlemen,

You can’t believe how delighted I am, with the beautiful suggestions you guys are contributing to me.

I will contact all the schools and see which pays more and would get back to you guys for sure.

Nevertheless I keep the doors quit open for more info. anytime.

:ok: Cheers,

gR.

sanjo69
15th Apr 2004, 16:48
I hope you read my thread on Cape Flying Services based in George

But like all flying schools and making any decision for training, the overwhelming rules

never pay the full amount up front before you start training, perhaps, small deposit and thereafter pay as you fly

and

always be fully aware what you are going to get for your money ie, accomodation, lectures etc

Good luck with your choice

regards

Sandy

Gunship
18th Apr 2004, 23:24
Lo Black Teddy,

Yes I have been very pro - CFS here for reasons as I explained before.

If I was a "tourist" I would have chosen George before Cape Town (even though I live there).

To face the Ct traffic is one thing (as in Air Traffic ) but the high costs and weather from now on is bad till September (or roughly).

YEs George had a bad summer .. we where about a month behind schedule, but they have escpae routes to Oudsthoorn.

I must just add that I was at ALL the Cape Flying schools and I have my reasons for my son not to attend them.

I will NOT slag them here - mos probably some is just personal and that includes Stellenbosch Flying School (10 minutes from my house).

And I must admit right here and then that 43 Air School was number one on my list ... sadly their pricing was crazy and the CFI (whom I spoke to earlier) was on leave.

The guy that answered my question was NOT impressive ... the most he could say was that they have 135 students 9speak under correction) and the waiting list was 9 months and and and .. I wanted to hear "Welcome and Anytime .. yes we will bend over back wards for you ... " ;)

So 7 students for CFS was the correct choice for me and my peeps anyway.

Good luck with your choice and best of all ENJOY South Africa ! :D

Gunnssss

Gunship
19th Apr 2004, 04:17
Boetie die spelling is Stellenbosch ...

In fact in another post I gave my e-mail address - mail me if you have a problem (without a made up hotmail or yahoo address)

sam6
19th Apr 2004, 04:21
Oom Kasi, Sounds like you wanna get caught and well read about you soon OK
email me if you want advice about staying anonomous

black_teddy
19th Apr 2004, 12:13
Good day Gents,

THX you all for the contributions.

I am a Nigerian and also leaving in Nigeria Lagos to be precised. It is pretty tight to view the indebt of what obtains in SA flight school world.

You see I am not trying to be partial about praising or condemning flight schools but to face reality. For instance Gunship had been to a number of schools regarding his sons training as he earlier mentioned. I think I will consider any school he may send his kid to irrespective of location because I believe he would always scout the best for him.

WX is one thing I also give priority to. I believe that the guys already leaving in SA would mean a great deal to me.

I will apply immediatly as soon as I find one..

regards.

Gunship
19th Apr 2004, 15:22
Black teddy,

Mail me or PM me your e-mail addy. I had 6 West Africans on the course and they can personally mail you back what they thought about SA - the country - flying schools etc ... no problem.

Instead of me just blabbing along.

They are also busy with a "course report feedback" which I would surely pass on.

Nothing to hide.

Cheers and best regards with your decission.

Gunnzzz

Deanw
19th Apr 2004, 16:00
Sam6

I'm not going to speak for Gunns, but many of us on this forum know Gunns personally. Sure he has published personal details, but we're meant to be friends here (plus the odd journo :} ), and I'm not sure I like the tone and what you're alluding to :hmm:

Gunns has provided much useful info here, not just the odd parting shot from stage left ;)

Anyway, just chill, Gunns can take care of himself :cool: :p

Well, I'm off to duck under the rock now ;)

black_teddy
19th Apr 2004, 16:17
my e-mail ad.

[email protected]