PDA

View Full Version : Computer security for the stupid and lazy

Evo
14th Apr 2004, 08:06
I spent a merry weekend fixing up a Win XP computer. It has broadband, but no anti-virus, no critical updates, no firewall, and a user who opens all email attachments in case they are from someone they know. Yes, even the ones with "sexy picture 4U.exe". You can guess the rest, and in the end I went for a reformat and reinstall, followed by a long time downloading updates and a trip to PC World for NIS (which is fairly dummy-proof, even if it isn't the best). Hopefully it's now idiot-proof, but bitter experience has taught me to never overestimate some users :)

In the hope of avoiding this happening again, does anybody know of a "security for complete morons" ("for dummies" would be too advanced :rolleyes: ) book, website or anything else. It needs to be for someone who is computer illiterate, lazy and has the attention-span of a Wendy's commercial. My mother-in-law. :E

A tough task, but has anybody got any suggestions?

fobotcso
14th Apr 2004, 09:38
No Evo, this is where WE come in. Your tale is all too familiar and it's up to us to educate the naïve without discouraging them.

The worry is, how much damage might have been caused by having an undefended PC open to the world of Trojans etc.

Hopefully the address book would have been small and you would have got there just in time.

A book? Newspapers and Sunday supplements get closest to what I think you are looking for at the level you want.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Apr 2004, 15:32
Evo,

If you have someone not tech savvy, I would do a Broadband Router. That will give the firewall protection without the need of user input.

Then with email, there is an option in OLE to disable all attachments that could have viruses.

That should be a good start along with the usual Antivirus Program and Spyware Program.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Do not forget a little one on one teaching of Do's and Don't's will save a lot of headaches in the future. ;)

Lost_luggage34
14th Apr 2004, 16:14
Agree with the Do's and Don'ts method.

Unfortunately having less and less hair left to pull out, I'm on the point of telling one of my regular clients ;

DON'T turn on the PC !!

Mac the Knife
14th Apr 2004, 19:49
Why not start by installing a secure operating system? :E

[Just don't tell her the root password] :{