PDA

View Full Version : Part 135 in the USA... What's involved?

Gunnner
13th Apr 2004, 19:24
I'm a new guy here and am looking for a high level view of what is involved in starting a small 135 Air Carrier busniess? Would on have one seaplane to start with but just looking for some insight out there....
Thanks!

FLEXJET
13th Apr 2004, 19:58
NBAA provides the kind of information you need.

http://web.nbaa.org/public/about/committees/part135

Try to get a copy of the June 1997 AOPA magazine.
In the Turbine pilot section, page T-1, there is a nice story about Kingsland Air Charter, a 135 Air Carrier with a single engine Piper Lance.

V1 Rotate
13th Apr 2004, 21:47
Part of the FARs state that you MUST be a US Citizen !
Subpart C Part 121 or Part 135

119.33 General requirements.
(a) A person may not operate as a direct air carrier unless that person-
(1) Is a citizen of the United States;
etc. etc.

Hope this helps.
V1

Gunnner
13th Apr 2004, 22:00
no problem with citizenship... Thanks for the responses so far. The link was really helpful.

EricCartman
24th Apr 2004, 05:03
Gunnner,

You might get more feed back at a forum we just started which is 135 specific for the US market. In fact - since this community seems mainly European - I wonder if there is an opportunity to link up with our European colleagues.

The site we JUST launched is www.rsvpair.com.

But I think most of the advice you have rec'd is good:

a) gotta be a citizen (I am a Canadian who owned one by doing corporation with accountant & certificate of ops had its OWN corporation - very important to do this .. .. since you can then sell that corporation... but NOT the certificate)

b) start up ops are VERY hard - email me privately for tales of woe

c) Seaplane ops in the US have adverse insurance issues, unless you have a fleet of ten of them and fly them each 10 hours per day

As usual ... aviation is a tough gig.

Hope that helps.

->reply privately to adam(at)airwebster.com if you would like - or forum is fine too

West Coast
26th Apr 2004, 04:34
From time to time I see ads in trade papers and periodicals from retired FAA FSDO types who will walk prospective 135 operators through the process. No idea what they charge.

Cyclic Hotline
26th Apr 2004, 06:03
The simplest way is to become a single pilot Part 135 operator, if you are eligible. This will allow you to get out the door and running.

FAA Part 135 site (http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/atl/n135toc.htm)

As regards flying 10 aircraft and 10 hours a day - I'm not sure I follow this logic. I know a couple of seasonal large operators, but really, very few operators who would fall into this category. I suggest you go and take a look at the areas where there is a large amount of floatplane activity. You will find as many seasonal, single pilot operators as large companies.

I have operated floatplanes for the last 15 years, and maintained aircraft for a large number of single pilot 135 operators (many of whom are close friends). Like all kinds of 135 operation it can be challenging - but there are many success stories out there.