PDA

View Full Version : Engaged tone while trying to connect to Internet...

AerBabe
13th Apr 2004, 19:09
I'm running Windows XP with IE6 and my ISP is Freeserve Anytime ... I have their Connection Kit downloaded (which tries to connect you through several different numbers in turn).

Last week I was logging on with no problems. As of last night, I can't, all I get is an engaged tone.

I've tried a different cable and that makes no difference. I've tried logging on to my landlord's PC (he also uses Freeserve Anytime) and that's fine.

I have checked my Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel & the area code is correct and it's dialling using Tone. I tried using my Freeserve CD to retrieve my account in order to reset the configuration, but when I select 'Install' it just tells me I have the most recent version of Internet Explorer & I can't get any further.

I'm not knowledgable enough to know what to do next... please help! :{

Timothy
13th Apr 2004, 20:03
Pop into our office or home and use broadband, if you like. You know my eMail, my number's in the book and I'm in:)

Timothy

AerBabe
14th Apr 2004, 07:37
Thanks Timothy! Very generous. :O
Mike - I tried calling the same number the ISP dials up on, from the house phone, and it worked. All Freeserve suggested was putting in the original CD & retrieving my account in order to reset the connection settings. As I explained above, that didn't work. I will try & pick up a more recent version of the CD at lunchtime today and see if that works.

BOAC
14th Apr 2004, 10:34
Aerbabe - a paranoid thought! There has been a fair bit of 'hijacking' of the Freeserve DUN lately (covered on this forum and in the UK press) which diverts to a premium rate number at vast expense to you. I ASSUME you have looked at the settings for the Freeserve DUN to check?

In W2000 it is in 'Start'/'Settings'/'Network and Dial-up Connections'

mazzy1026
14th Apr 2004, 11:41
If you want to test your modem and whether it dials or not - use the windows phone dialler in Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Phone dialler. Ring your mobile and see if it rings. If it does then your PC and modem is fine. If not then it is likely to be a problem stated above regarding Freeserve.

If you dont have the phone dialler, you can install it in the Windows components part of Add/Remove software in control panel.

Best of luck

Maz :ok:

AerBabe
14th Apr 2004, 21:11
Mike J - There are no known problems with my modem and, with my brief flick through Troubleshooter, everything is set correctly.

BOAC - When I spoke to Freeserve, they said the number my modem was trying to dial was correct.

Mazzy - I don't have Phone Dialler installed, and it's not an option on my Windows components.

I'm an eejit & completely forgot to find a new Freeserve CD at lunchtime. :O

amanoffewwords
14th Apr 2004, 21:54
I don't have Phone Dialler installed, and it's not an option on my Windows components.
You can achieve the same thing with the hyperterminal - in Accessories --> Communications

You could also do a "Query Modem" from the diagnostic tab of the modem properties to make sure it is able to communicate with the rest of the world. You should get something like this:

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - H.324 video-ready rev. 1.0
AT+FCLASS=? - 0,1
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - +GCI:B4
AT+GCI=? - OK
ATI1 - OK
ATI2 - OK
ATI3 - TOSHIBA V.90 Data+Fax Software Modem Version 3.1.100
ATI4 - Built on 09/26/2001 20:12:19
ATI5 - 3.1.100, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27, 0E
ATI6 - OK
ATI7 - AMR Intel MB

If the modem is faulty you'll get an error to that effect.

It is also worth removing the modem driver altogether and restart the PC - the OS should locate and re-install it automatically.

amofw

mazzy1026
15th Apr 2004, 11:13
Good one amofw thanks for that :)

Flybywyre
15th Apr 2004, 14:08
I've tried logging on to my landlord's PC (he also uses Freeserve Anytime) and that's fine.

Do you use the same BT line ?
If you do and your landlord is on line or on the phone then you will not be able to connect and all you will get is the engaged signal

Regards
FBW

CHEEL
15th Apr 2004, 22:13
Before trying to connect to the internet check your message box on 1571 if you have messages waiting it blocks the connection to the internet with a no dial tone message.

AerBabe
17th Apr 2004, 12:36
AMOFW: No errors reported and several lines that said 'Success', so I think that's a Good Thing?

Mike J: I wouldn't mind uninstalling Freeserve, but I can't see how to. Only the 'Connection Kit' part is on the 'Add+Remove Programs' list (the Kit is the part which goes on to dial several different numbers if the default one doesn't connect). If I remove Freeserve by deleting the relevant folders, I won't get it all.

Flybywyre: :{ I'm not that stupid. Not usually. Well, not in this case. Although:

CHEEL - thank you thank you thank you, you wonderful person!!! :ok: :O
I can't believe I didn't think of that; I'm sure I've had the same problem before. :sad:

BUT... can someone explain to me why my landlord's PC wasn't affected in the same way? :confused:

Great, now I can post some embarassing pictures on the bashes forum. :E

amanoffewwords
17th Apr 2004, 13:56
BUT... can someone explain to me why my landlord's PC wasn't affected in the same way?

Some modems are trained to ignore the fact the dial tone is not constant - I've noticed that in computers I've installed over the last two years or so -i.e. about the time when vmail invaded the UK.

You can set your modem to ignore the dial tone - somewhere in the settings, that way it won't listen out for it and just dial regardless, then you will never have to bothe...ahem ask for our assistance again ;)

Reminds me of a warranty job I did for a Japanese customer 2-3 years ago; I was sent out with two spare modems to fix to identical brand-new computers which he was trying to set up to the net, both unsuccesfully. As I arrived my first instinct was to pick up a telephone receiver to check the line was ok (working your way backwards to the problem technique..!).

Anyway as he was talking I switched off the dial tone detect and connected to the net no problem. At that point he told me that he had been on the phone to the manufacturer for hours, then Microsoft and finally BT. He was really stressed out about it and I come along and fix in 90 seconds! I literally left him with tears rolling down his cheek. Of course I gave him a good slap and told him to pull himself together, not. Actually I felt a bit sorry for him 'cause if you're on a call desk it's kinda one of the things you should have checked to make sure the modem is actually capable of dialling - if it doesn't the modem's broken, if it does the cable/phone line are possible suspects. Simple.

Anyway, that's my words quota for the day.

Cheerio
amofw

mazzy1026
18th Apr 2004, 09:31
AMOFW

I know the feeling of working on an IT helpdesk - some people just cant work out for themselves that if a phone line is down then the first two things you do are a) get another working phone and plug it in - if it works then you have a dodgy phone, if it doesnt then you have a dodgy line and b) take the original phone and try it in a line you know that works and do the same thing!

We will get there in the end (by the way this isnt a dig at aerbabe - as this problem was different) :E :E :E

AerBabe
18th Apr 2004, 20:40
Oi!
If my landlord's connection had been giving an engaged tone as well, I might have had a better chance at working out the problem. As it was, with my string of bad luck recently, it was only natural to assume a problem with my PC. :* :{
;)