PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard more from bmi?

foxtrotzulu
15th Oct 2001, 15:45
Just wondered if anyone has heard anymore regarding the redundancys?

phd
15th Oct 2001, 16:10
Not a flippin' dicky bird. It is very spooky at the moment as everyone knows that 'it' is coming but no one is sure what 'it' is. I have heard all sorts of figures quoted over the last couple of weeks for job losses amongst engineers, pilots, management, customer services etc. but none of the information is reliable. Although we know 8 aircraft are to be moth-balled, until the 2002 flying schedule is known for sure any predictions about actual job losses is pure guesswork. However, for many of us I think now is a good time to be dusting off that CV and thinking about plan 'B'.

phd
15th Oct 2001, 16:13
Not a flippin' dicky bird. It is very spooky at the moment as everyone knows that 'it' is coming but no one is sure what 'it' is. I have heard all sorts of figures quoted over the last couple of weeks for job losses amongst engineers, pilots, management, customer services etc. but none of the information is reliable. Although we know 8 aircraft are to be moth-balled, until the 2002 flying schedule is known for sure any predictions about actual job losses is pure guesswork. However, for many of us I think now is a good time to be dusting off that CV and thinking about plan 'B'.

ALTSEL
15th Oct 2001, 17:03
Fishbed, get real!- there is NO plan 'B' - our industry MUST pull together now to save itself from a total melt-Down. Sending a CV out will do nothing unless fences and boundries are broken down and a new order is put in place for European Aviation. Regulators, politicians , management and employees, Airport opertors and contractors, the public and others need to take stock now and decide how to save this great asset built up over the past 100 years - AVIATION.

To allow cowards who hide in caves and execute woman in public places, let alone N.Y. WTC, be allowed to run our lives is unacceptable and non negotiable.

[ 15 October 2001: Message edited by: ALTSEL ]

nitefiter
15th Oct 2001, 17:33
ALTSEL
Steady mate, Fishbed was only answering the question. You seem to be going off on one!
I do however, agree with your last paragraph.

682ft AMSL
15th Oct 2001, 21:20
Not a bmi employee, but the company web-site has been carrying a pdf file which shows a list of all the flight cancellations scheduled for October. The cutbacks seem to be across the network, but some services are more affected than others - perhaps it provides an indication of where the 20% capacity reductions may be achieved.

Gaza
16th Oct 2001, 02:19
adhoc cancellations between 10 Oct and 27 Oct 2001 (http://www.flybmi.co.uk/presscentre/servicechange.asp)

That's a lot of capacity being cut!

RAFAT
16th Oct 2001, 05:20
Why so many Belfast City cancellations when they don't start operating out of there until the 28th Oct???

Stellina
16th Oct 2001, 22:44
Good question, rafat.
but unfortunately that's not the only mistery in this whole story.....
Wonder what game is being played,.....

RAFAT
17th Oct 2001, 20:33
EICAS, excrewingbod, etc

Can you shed any light on this one?

Busta Level
18th Oct 2001, 01:11
200 pilots, 16 aircraft - latest on 17th Oct.... Apparently the EU saying that airlines can keep slots even tho' not operating routes has allowed more cuts than previously possible. Thanks very much (again) EU.

Oh, and ALTSEL, ever occurred to you that the CV might be for an industry not connected to aviation? Shock horror. Some of us have lived lives before flying, and looks like we'll be back there soon! :(

mrshubigbus
18th Oct 2001, 01:20
How did it suddenly go from 8 aircraft to 16! Sounds a little bit on the steep side. But if they can keep slots with out using them well anything could happen! There is no love lost by the low cost carriers fighting for every slot they can get! If they get them on a "level" playing field then I suppose that will be the death knell for the established scheduled carriers? Why shouldn't they have them??

flappless
18th Oct 2001, 01:56
To be fair (for once!) I think the senior management in this company have handled the situation very well. What is the point in reacting to every rumour that appears every day. They are making a considered and calculated response to what is going on. There are a few people who want to stir things up- but there are in any airline. For those of you at the bottom of the seniority list - don't panic, this has happened before. One day, probably not too far away you will end up flying again for bmi - look on the bright side, if they make you redundant you will not be bonded anymore or have to pay back any fees from OATS. This could be a big money saver for you !

jja
18th Oct 2001, 10:32
Talk to BALPA - the 16/200 would seem to be grossly overinflated

RAFAT
18th Oct 2001, 20:30
I would still like to know why there are so many Belfast City cancellations on:

ad hoc cancellations between 10th & 27th October 2001 (http://www.flybmi.co.uk/presscentre/servicechange.asp)

when they do not start operating out of there until the 28th???

derbyram
18th Oct 2001, 21:53
RAFAT, I suspect its an error..these flights are all BFS, maybe someone has programmed one of the computers with BHD a bit prior, as BMI will be using the same flight numbers when they move.

RAFAT
19th Oct 2001, 04:45
Got ya, cheers. Wonder why none of the bmi people on here have noticed the error.

Liverlittle
19th Oct 2001, 11:08
Because we're to preoccupied wondering if we're going to be employed next week. That's why. Any further questions...? :mad:

squawk 6789
19th Oct 2001, 18:59
Suggest you read BFS for BHD.

squawk 6789
19th Oct 2001, 19:02
Sorry, didn't read page 2 before replying.

682ft AMSL
19th Oct 2001, 21:59
Looking through the latest flight schedules, it seems the version for LBA, and no doubt everywhere else, now reflect the 'new' winter timetable.

Frequencies at LBA appear unchanged, a/c changes are as follows:

LHR - A320 replaced with 733
GLA - 145 replaced with 135
EDI - no change
CDG - no change

MME-LHR - now Fk100 operation

The schedule I checked also showed the 4 x daily BFS flights for the first time.

All Spooled Up
20th Oct 2001, 12:13
Busta Level,

Exactly WHERE did you get your "200 pilots / 16 aircraft" figures from? I know this is a RUMOUR network, but you have absolutely NO business irresponsibly quoting things like this. We're not speculating about the choice of a new aircraft here, or whether Air XYZ will start flying to ABC, we're talking about PEOPLE'S LIVELEHOODS, their MORTGAGES and THEIR FAMILIES - these are NOT things to gossip about.

I assume you are with bmi (otherwise your authoratative sounding statement is even more outrageous) - in which case you must know the estimated figures officially quoted from BALPA and the management, and of the various measures proposed to REDUCE them. Until the uptake for these measures is known, NOBODY knows exactly what the figures will be. So quit speculating and stop worrying people unnecessarily at what is already a bad time - you know fine well how seriously some people will take the kind of lose comments you make.

fast cruiser
20th Oct 2001, 13:06
All Spooled Up

Well said
I totally agree with what you have said, all these people who claim to be "In the Know", well it is just not on to quote figures where there is no proof.

anoxic
20th Oct 2001, 13:30
Sounds to me that all spooled up should spool down a little. You're in danger of exceeding limitations.

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: Anoxic ]

Busta Level
20th Oct 2001, 13:38
Spooled Up,

I am one of those who will be affected. I have a mortagage, family etc.

This is a rumour network - don't like it then don't read it.

The figures quoted were from an engineering memo.

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: Busta Level ]

All Spooled Up
20th Oct 2001, 14:39
The figures quoted were from an engineering UNION memo, and as usual the chinese whispers syndrome results in the "200 pilots" figure being quoted in the way that it has. It should be fairly clear that the engineering union can't possibly know potential pilot numbers, particularly given the time at which the memo was apparently put out. Why this information should be considered credible when figures have been oficially quoted is beyond me.

The damage that rumours like this can cause is made clear by the additional number of people who are saying "well I thought I was OK (for now) but now I'm really worried". Yes, I know this is a rumour network, but the fact is that some rumours really have an effect on people - for obvious reasons in this case. If there is no substance behind something like this, then why make more people more miserable unnecessarily? PPRUNE is exactly the kind of thing people turn to at times like this - perhaps we all need to be a little more responsible with the information we post.

Busta, I'm very very sorry to hear about your circumstances. Ironically my strong views on irresponsible rumours are based entirely on the fact that I hate the thought of my colleagues (and that includes you) losing their jobs. Equally I hate to think of people going through the awful feelings you must be experiencing if they don't need to, and I feel this is the effect the rumour has had. Hence, let's not perpetuate it. I very much hope that the uptake on the measures proposed to reduce redundancies saves your job.

Busta Level
20th Oct 2001, 16:08
Point well made, and taken! :D

I'll shutup and keep everything crossed (as I have for the last three weeks). My fingers are going numb! ;)

All Spooled Up
21st Oct 2001, 01:31
Good luck to Busta and everybody else involved in this mess. Let's hope the final numbers aren't as bad as first indicated. Best wishes.