PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood Airport, Doncaster Sheffield (Merged)

garethjk22
13th Apr 2004, 15:12
Check out this link ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/3622143.stm

What a cool idea! Looks like it's all happening down at Finningley ... watch this space!

Slim20
13th Apr 2004, 16:08
Peel Airports eh?

I sniff an imminent 10-year golden handcuffs agreement with Easyjet then? And that means the bell is tolling for East Midlands no doubt.......

garethjk22
13th Apr 2004, 16:42
slim,
you might be right, especially when u think EMA didn't get planning permission to expand!

Robin Hood - landing soon!

Drap-air
13th Apr 2004, 17:11
who gives a friar tuck what the airport is called!?! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

warkman
13th Apr 2004, 17:22
So, they have decided that the new commercial airport at the old RAF Finningley is going to be called Robin Hood Airport! Now why did not East Midlands think of that?
Are people wanting to go to Nottingham going to choose flights to the wrong airport?

garethjk22
13th Apr 2004, 17:40
Well see here's the thing ... the sherrif of nottingham (no prizes for this one) came from nottingham.

Robin hood on the other hand, well he came from barnsdale - between barnsley and doncaster - he lived, fought and died in yorkshire - and so is in fact a yorkshire man!

As for the airport - the doncaster sheffield kind of locates the airport - but it is a clever piece of marketing don't you think?

Going loco
13th Apr 2004, 17:46
Full name is:

Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield International Airport

According to a news report broadcast 5 mins ago, an announcement to be made this time next week by the 'lead operators' in what the spokesman for Peel Holdings described as 'an unprecedented start-up for a regional airport'

Interesting.

loco

LBAir
13th Apr 2004, 17:47
Good Luck to Robin Hood Doncaster Shefield, sure to be another success, not quite sure about the future of Humberside Airport now and East Mids who are sure to take a bashing!!

symphonyangel
13th Apr 2004, 17:58
Going loco - correction. There is no mention of 'International' in the name. Its a very superflous word International, makes you wonder why some other airports include it.

I saw that John Wayne Orange County has got to about 10 million passengers now. I wonder if Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield will be heading the same way. Also worth checking out is the new website www.robinhoodairport.com which shows the map for Robin Hood established historical locations and clearly shows this is the airport central to the legend.

Also interesting is that the airport used to be in Nottinghamshire until the county boundaries changed.

eal401
14th Apr 2004, 07:36
Well, I would look at the airport website, but they've committed the cardinal sin (in my eye) of only using Flash. :mad:

KAT TOO
14th Apr 2004, 07:55
Well it will certainly get people talking about! with that name, bit of a mouth full on the Radio "Easy2359 contact Robin Hood Doncaster,Sheffield Airport,,,,,,eh.......Say again... "Forget it, Dony 124.65,

And what about the poor Ryan pilots where English (never mind Tyke!) is about their fourth language:{

So who will be the looser's?

Humberside is finished,apart from a few Eastern flights,Leeds will see some charter traffic move out and if Easy open up at Dony ,sorry Robin Hood Doncaster,Sheffield..then JET2 will see volumes drop and that could hurt. I reckon Manchester could see some charter flights move out as well.

Any way good luck to Dony, its a nice runway,shame we can't see Vulcan's there anymore

egnxema
14th Apr 2004, 07:57
Names, names, names!

You can dedicate your terminal to who you like, but I doubt very much that "Robin Hood" will appear on the Arrivals/Departures board in any airport terminals served from Finningley. It will be interesting what city-name is used. Doncaster, Sheffield, Finningley?

I wish everyone at the new airport success, lets hope it doesn't go the same way as the old Sheffield Airport who struggled to attract more than a Belfast and Amsterdam service.

With Ryanair having publically stated they intend to grow Nottingham East Midlands over the next couple of years to over 2 million FR pax per year, and bmibaby having a loving relationship with the MAG it will be interesting to see who moves in.

Will EZY move up the M1? or will Jet2 open another batch of Yorkshire routes?

As with most things in this game...only time will tell.

Much love from all in at Nottingham!
:ok:

WHBM
14th Apr 2004, 07:58
How can they call themselves "the first full service international airport to be built in over 30 years".

What about London City ? 1988 I believe. And London City actually had to build the airport from scratch, they didn't have an existing runway.

garethjk22
14th Apr 2004, 08:16
They are correct, it is the first full service airport in 30 years - I some how don't think you will see your My Travel A330 going to Barbados or a 767 to New York leaving LCY any time soon! - Robin Hood can handle just about anything.

The name on the departure boards, tickets and the one soon to be appearing in brochures will be 'Doncaster Sheffield'.

Robin Hood is the brand, in the same way John Lennon is the brand for Liverpool.

egnxema
14th Apr 2004, 08:40
Well my bet for the new base operator there at Doncaster will flyBE - rumoured to have been in discussions with a number of airports in the north of England, even rumours of them pulling out of Birmingham and Newcastle.

Any reaction to this rumour?

egnxema

"Why didn't East Midlands think of that?"

Well, let me assure you that they did - but they chose a stronger option.

We all know that commercial decissions are not taken quickly or lightly - if Robin Hood would have provided a stronger growth then EMA would have had it first - but unlike the United States, where the desire to name every hub, airfield or grass strip after a "well known" American is the way - here in the UK it seems we only name our Pubs after people, our Grand Stands after footballers, and our cruise ships after Royalty.

Don't know about you, but I am REALLY glad that LHR is not Churchill International, and that STN in not Tony Blairport. - oh no! that might have given Peel Holdings a name to christen MME. Damn it!:mad:

Long live city-names!! :D

KAT TOO
14th Apr 2004, 09:25
Whats wrong with "Joe Cocker" International Airport!?

big.al
14th Apr 2004, 11:14
I remember raising this subject before, and my choice would have been 'South Yorkshire International'.

'Robin Hood' will just confuse the average Johnny Foreigner because they'll think of the 'Prince of Thieves' film and assume it's near Nottingham. I guess they could have called it Full Monty Airport but that might have upset the folks at SZD. ;)

Aircrew will probably abbreviate it to 'Donny Tower' etc but it'll be interesting to see what the real terminology is.

Personally I think it's great for the area (being just 20 miles away it'll be my nearest international airport) but my only concern is whether they establish a CTA and restricted airspace around the airfield, and the possible implications for Gamston why I fly from...

It may be operated like Humberside in the 'Open FIR' but I somehow imagine this won't be the case - anyone know any more?

hottowel
14th Apr 2004, 12:25
Why didn't they call it Lesley Garrett International, as she was from the area!! A touch of "class"...

Hmmmmmm :}

Pirate
14th Apr 2004, 19:41
Maybe they could rename Lydd as Kent Robin Hood Airport. I remember from the Kevin Costner movie that he landed on a shingle beach beneath the White Cliffs and said to his Moorish mate, "We'll be in Nottingham by nightfall".

confundemus

MEFLYBE
15th Apr 2004, 13:55
"Humberside is finished"

Really, to say that this is a proffessional forum, there are some people out there that really do not have a clue!

Regards

Mike

Optical Illyushin
15th Apr 2004, 16:46
Joe cocker international indeed.......! You DO make me larf hehe.....

And as for her Royal Highness "Titanic"! :hmm:

KAT TOO
15th Apr 2004, 22:31
Humber side is finished!

There said it again

Why, because a good chunk of its business will be lost to Dony, ok so some oil routes and Eastern will be around, but it will be like Wick, even Aberdeen with all the hype & tax payer money have suffered another year on year fall in pax no.

So Humberside is finished there said it again, why would and charter company bother putting a flight into Humberside with Dony 30 minutes or so away and a much bigger catchment area

MEFLYBE
15th Apr 2004, 22:59
I don't even knwo where to start on this one, so I'm not going to, you are free to have you own opinion, even if it is comepletely absurd ;)

Regards

Mike

ShyTorque
16th Apr 2004, 20:19
Robin Hood? A Yorkshireman? :rolleyes: Ecky thump, 'e never wore a flat cap in his life, I've seen his picture, it were a pointed cap wi' a feather in it! Didn't 'ave a whippet either. Find your own robber!

I don't recall the Sheriff of Doncaster being mentioned in the legend either. Perhaps the Yorkshire Robin Hood and his merry men were flying pickets in the coal miners' strike?

BTW, isn't Sheffield / Doncaster a railway? :E

They should've called it S****horpe, it's closer than Sheffield or Nottingham - except the bad word filter won't let you say the middle bit..

mainecoon
17th Apr 2004, 22:12
let's try (for those a lot younger than i)
get down with the hood 119.xx:ok:

JustaFew
18th Apr 2004, 23:38
big.al, a good question about controlled airspace around
Robin Hood indeed. Will the CAA bow to demands, if any, for
a CTR, or will the DAP point out that the airport has insufficient
pax movements to establish controlled airspace? Some airfields
have lost their controlled airspace, some have gained. Some have increased their passenger traffic and still operate an ATZ in the open FIR. Local airfields such as Sandtoft, Gamston and Netherthorpe will see an increase in jet traffic, and another frequency to listen to. Taking the situation a step further, radar
service may not be from DFS sorry DFA but supplied from another one of Peel's empire (not the Trafford Centre!)...

U/S President
18th Apr 2004, 23:55
The first airline to be based at Doncaster-Sheffield airport will be Thomsonfly.

According to e-Tid (http://www.e-tid.com/pma/21573) and the Yorkshire Post (http://www.ypn.co.uk/ViewArticlemore2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=776019), it’s a done deal. Thomsonfly will based four aircraft at the airport, handle more than one million passengers annually and start taking bookings for the flights before Christmas.

In addition to Thomsonfly, TUI has said its Summer 2005 brochures will include charter departures from Doncaster-Sheffield, with a hint that this might include long-haul.

ILS 119.5
19th Apr 2004, 04:22
Only effin professional.

sorry meant only one effin professional.

hatsoff
19th Apr 2004, 08:45
Big Al , I think it's unlikely to get a control zone around it until they have made a case based on the number and type of movements.

It's very difficult to get Controlled Airspace to protect Public Flights in the UK. Every request is challenged by the British Gliding Association , the Military and the General Aviation representatives in true NIMBY style ie if this affects me you can't have it - safety last!

If the public could see some of the close shaves going into local airfields like Humberside and Teeside they'd be horrified.

As for ATC , well I believe Radar services will be provided from Liverpool but I've no idea what equipment they'll use.

ohyouareaone
20th Apr 2004, 00:15
Robin of Locksley (sic )
and the Major Oak held up by chains.
Err Nottinghamshire for sure - how desperate can South Yorkshire councillors be for publicity ? Finningly 30 yrs ago had one of the two best airshows in the UK. And the RAF training there was the reason why.
Dick Turpin on the A1 through Donny has a real claim to infamy never mind the myths.
Also not that happy about that well known aviator John Lennon - somebody please nudge the librarians before it`s too late, it`s only a matter of time before we have the Kevin Costner Intercontinental Gateway and Emporium ( uk branch ) to the World.
how would you explain that to your kids ?

RYRbaby.com
20th Apr 2004, 00:20
Robin Hood is pretty apt, considering that BHX is being blasted as a "high cost airport".

What's MYTlite's next move? :hmm:

Thrush
20th Apr 2004, 09:26
Everyone seems to have forgotten that Robin Hood did not exist. He's a character from fiction.

A better name would surely have been Colonel Samuel Cody Airport.

Doncaster racecourse was the scene of the country's first aviation meeting during 18th to 23rd October 1909.

During the Doncaster event there were trophies and cash prizes for the various events. The American, self styled, "Colonel" Samuel Franklin Cody even changed his nationality by signing papers in front of the crowd in order to compete for the Daily Mail prize of £1000 for flying a 1 mile circular route by an all British aircraft and pilot.

The event was held at Doncaster Race Course.