View Full Version : CPL Conversion: Canadian to Australian

Moonraker2003
13th Apr 2004, 12:22
Howdy,

Could someone please shed light on the following:

1) How do you go about converting a Canadian CPL & Multi IFR(or FAA - its probably similar) to Australian CPL ??

2) Typically how much dough ($AUS) are we looking at for the conversion inc. written tests ?

3) Do you need to do some flying in beautiful australia ? If so how much ?
5) What kind of visa would a Canadian need to instruct
4) What about an Instructor rating in australia ? How long ? how many hours ?

What kind of visa would a canadian need to work as an instructor ? Would love to hear from some canadian gone aussie instructors....

6) how much do instructors in australia make? sufficient to survive ?

I know this sounds like a lot, any advice will do !! Thanks...

Icarus2001
14th Apr 2004, 08:29
Ahhhhhhh Moonraker seek and ye shall find...

www.casa.gov.au

This will take you to the Australian Regulatory Authority which is the CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY AUTHORITY.

There is a good section on overseas conversion requirements.

As for immigration requirements try...

www.dimia.gov.au

As to question six...! Well how much do you need to "survive". Yes it can be done but it is tough. Do you drink, smoke etc? Do you have expensive tastes? Do you expect to eat three times a day or will once do?

Have a look at the sites above and come back with more questions. I could send you the link to Wagenet which covers minmum pay for all pilot types etc but if you r e a l l y want to know I think you could find it yourself, if you can't then you will never survive GA in Australia anyway.

Hope this helps.:D

Kliperoo
20th Apr 2004, 04:56
If Oz is as easy as NZ was with the conversions and such, you'll be away laughing. I moved from Toronto to NZ in 2000, and all I had to do was their tests and a very short flight test. So long as I met the requirements for the license here, and did those, I was fine.
However, just some pointers. Big one is get all your paperwork together first, i.e Logbook signed off and all times certified correct (simple, you would think) have a fresh AUSTRALIAN medical. If you are still in Canada, ask T.C if they hold forms for the OZ medical, and get one of their docs to do it there, SO MUCH SIMPLER.
Look into where you are going (Melbourne, Sydney?) and see what types of craft they fly. If its a Mooney or something you would not normally rent back home, do a type rating.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just leave a message. Good luck and hop the ditch some time.

Rob Avery
8th May 2004, 10:14
Hello Moonraker 2003,
I can assist you with the info you need.
[email protected]

Cheers
Rob