PDA

View Full Version : Lets go Clubbing!

autosync
13th Apr 2004, 12:00
Animal rights groups are condemning what could be the biggest seal cull in years in Canada.

Hunters are gathering to slaughter up to 300,000 seals over three days.
Canadian officials say the hunt is humane and necessary.

They argue that the growing seal population has become a threat to cod stocks in the Atlantic.

Canadian authorities have increased the number of harp seals that can be culled to close to a million during the 2003-2005 period.

The take this year could be as high as 350,000.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare is opposing the cull.

The group's Rebbeca Aldworth said: "We thought we won in the '80s and in fact the hunt is back and bigger than ever before."

Buster Hyman
13th Apr 2004, 12:28
Teach them to play Ice Hockey...that ought to fix it!

Ozzy
13th Apr 2004, 13:07
Seals are easier to club than cod.

Ozzy

under_exposed
13th Apr 2004, 13:19
If nobody else is going to do it....

Whats a seals favorite drink?

Canadian club on the rocks

itchybum
13th Apr 2004, 13:23
Reminds me of "Whacking Day" in Springfield.

Homer: "Do you want me to whack SLOW or FAST?"
Marge: "Slow, THEN fast!"

Seriously though, I guess fur will be "in" next year. Be a shame to waste it.

Seriously though:
Teach them to play hockey... Seals playing hockey..... what next???

Buster Hyman
13th Apr 2004, 13:25
Lap(lander) dancing????

airship
13th Apr 2004, 14:00
Here's what the BBC reported (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3618901.stm), check out what BBCers had to say here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3619497.stm).

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."
Genesis 1:26-28

Doesn't mean that I should kick the cat just because I can...:yuk:

Maybe those retired US military types who once worked with seals could try to explain to the Canadian seals that Freedom still exists far to the South in a place known as Antartica?! :{

Can't we content ourselves with beef, chicken, pork and (fish on Fridays)? Apart from questions regarding the manner in which they're killed, what happens to the seal? Does all the seal meat go to the natives, will I find it in my local supermarket or does it end up as pet food? :hmm:

The only people I hope to see wearing seal fur are those that I might see when I'm in the Canadian far-North and go by the name of "something-uk". Anyone else needs to ask themselves a few questions... :*

Too many Chinese? OK, just a shortage of Chinawomen and too many Chinamen soon. So let's cull 'em. It's the humane way. :8

itchybum
13th Apr 2004, 14:04
Yeah I could work with that....... ( :8 )

And then south-westward? :uhoh:

As for the meat, I'd say it probably ends being .......frozen.

Ozzy
13th Apr 2004, 14:07
Stick up for the cod, that's what I say. Depleted cod stocks, seals eat cod, too many seals cos of the preceding ban on culling, cull the seals. Are folks getting all high and mighty cos seals appear cute and cuddly next to a cow or a pig?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ozzy

angels
13th Apr 2004, 14:35
Oh dear. This reminds me of a 'bad taste fancy dress' party I attended when I was still at grammar (high) school some 30 years ago.

With judicious use of a plastic Macintosh and a saveloy I went as a 'dirty old man', but my mate won the first prize.

He went dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt which were sprinkled with red paint -- he also carried a baseball club.

On the shirt he had written -- 'Seals squeal'.

He won.

airship
13th Apr 2004, 14:49
Hey Ozzy,

Thousands of subsidised fishermen, operating hundreds of millions of dollars worth of the most high-tech equipment...couldn't catch the cod that the seal caught. Fair fight wouldn't you say?

I don't think that seals are especially cuddly either. Unless you count those that are under 12 days old and will ostensibly escape the massacre around them. Which probably makes me a pedosealophile! Just how do Canadian Clubbers manage to tell the difference between an 11 day old and a 12 day old pup anyway? :} :} :}

Ozzy
13th Apr 2004, 15:05
Thousands of subsidised fishermen not in Canada mate, that's why they need to cull the seals, the cod fishing industry is in decline.

So where is Brigitte Bardot when you need her?:E :E

Ozzy

airship
13th Apr 2004, 15:31
Not all old hags need putting down...:(

autosync
13th Apr 2004, 22:15
Bridgot Bardot's husband or minder should do the humane thing and put her out of her misery now that she can't be put out to stud and is virtually useless.

Don't get me wrong I love all animals and I especially love Seals, especially with mashed potato and gravy!!:E

Send Clowns
14th Apr 2004, 00:08
airship

If killing seals is cruel, who should we "... content ourselves with beef, chicken, pork and (fish on Fridays) ..."? Why is this any less cruel? I would especially point out that therre is no requirement to kill fish humanely, and that the conditions in which the others are kept are not always suitable.

autosync
14th Apr 2004, 00:12
Cause pigs and Cows don't have the cute little seal pup eyes!
Imagine the outrage if we had to cul otters, they can do cute little ottery things with their hands....

takenthe5thamendment
14th Apr 2004, 04:37
The thing with otters is that they are an endangered species in the UK.

And yeah, they are cutie-pies and fascinating to watch in their natural habitat. I have been fortunate enough to be able to do this on several occasions.:ok:

As for the culling of seal pups - it's an abhorrent way to 'preserve' other wildlife..............why can't mankind just let nature take it's course?

Love,
the5th, who hates any form of cruelty to animals :mad:

Smeagol
14th Apr 2004, 08:06
And speaking of Otters.....................

A new dish has appeared in Indian restaurants in Scotland.

It is called Chicken Tarka.

It's thought to be similar to Chicken Tikka but a bit otter...

Boom Boom !!!!

G-ALAN
14th Apr 2004, 10:49
The problem is man has interfered too much with nature to let it take it's course. Seals wouldn't have to be culled if we hadn't drained the seas of cod. There would be a plentiful supply and everything would be in perfect balance. I agree with many here, it seems to be the cuter the animal the more the outrage. Could you imagine a cull on baby chicks? You know those fuzzy little yellow bastards, People would be falling over themselves trying to protect them. They would make a nice little hand sized snack mindyou :E

Rollingthunder
14th Apr 2004, 11:03
There is an ongoing cull of baby chicks here, due to the avian flu. They're gassing them.

Some of the pics coming in from NFLD are very distressing. Humane killing? Not in any sense of the word.

Send Clowns
14th Apr 2004, 12:36
why can't mankind just let nature take it's course?Perhaps because 5.9 billion people would starve to death? Not to mention the modern convenience that would not be available to those remaining.

SLFguy
14th Apr 2004, 13:00
Everyone knows those damn seals are al-Qaeda

Huron Topp
14th Apr 2004, 13:58
Almost all of them are shot nowadays, not clubbed. Call it "special dispensation" that the club is being used again. Not sute how it can be called inhumane. First knock almost always kills them, and if not, the second does.

Guess they could rig up a portable generator and shove a steel rod up their b^ms and zap them, like is done with certain other animals. Or a steel bolt through the brain.

Food is food, don't matter how cute the donor.:ok:

By the way, most of the meat has always been for human consumption...tastes rather livery and really stinks up the kitchen.

chuks
14th Apr 2004, 17:39
One species of dormouse made it to Britain as a sort of fast food for Roman legionaries, I read somewhere.

They had little dormouse cages as part of their kit, allegedly, and when they were feeling a bit peckish they would eat one of these cute, little, fuzzy and appealing creatures with about as much reluctance as we might eat a Big Mac. Less, even, come to think of it.

Durn! They left that out of the movie! 'My name is Maximus and I'm so hungry I could eat a dormouse!' CHOMP!

The seals and the cod probably co-existed for millenia without any trouble at all aside from the usual fluctuations in population, right up to the point where we invented industrial fishing. So now we have to 'manage' nature.

So they don't club the cute little baby seal, they just send Mummy away for a while... then what does the baby seal live on, anyway, sandwiches?

Mark Twain said that man was the only animal that blushes or that needs to. I don't usually feel the need, but then I am pretty crude. I told my little dog-loving nephew about what Koreans put in their soup and he almost burst into tears, which rather amused me. Perhaps someone should cull me. My mother-in-law tried that once, with a bottle of frozen orange juice. It just bounced off. I guess you have to do that young.

takenthe5thamendment
14th Apr 2004, 17:59
http://www.independent.co.uk/images/editorial_images/2004-04/seal14.jpg

Absolutely sickening! :{ :{

autosync
14th Apr 2004, 18:51
Thats a horrible sight alright.

I mean who in their right mind would paint a boat blue and white?
Its just Sooo 1980's
Sick sick people those Canadians!

Rich Lee
14th Apr 2004, 18:57
Anyone know where I might purchase some Tuna safe Dolphin?

Blue and white? I say, isn't that the colour of the boathouse at Hereford?

ShyTorque
14th Apr 2004, 20:38
One way to make everyone aware of the true price of cod is to insist that a baby seal steak is sold with every fillet from the chipshop.

"Oo ar me hearties" to that, Captain Birdseye, you old pervert.

itchybum
14th Apr 2004, 22:06
There is no boat-house at Hereford...... you should know that.

Maybe they should try ambushing the seals from BOTH sides of the road....

autosync
15th Apr 2004, 02:26
Anyone know where I might purchase some Tuna safe Dolphin?

I don't know were you can purchase it, but I do know where you can get it for free.
Down in the south coast of Ireland in a place called Dingle there is a friendly Dolphin called fudgie or funky or something, he will come up out of the water and start getting all flipper like on you.
(You know, with the little Dolphin clap and clicking sound they make when they are trying to talk to ya.)

Coax him in close and at that point whack him on the head with a baseball bat, thus, you are not endangering any tuna and I am sure he would make a delicious sandwich with a bit of Lettuce pepper and Tomato.

P.s
How the hell should I know what colour the boat house is.
I make Gormet sandwiches for a living!!

Who'stheDaddy
15th Apr 2004, 02:30
Auto sync....

What you just said reminds in relation to this thread me of a joke about a "club" sandwich

(sorry!!)

WTD

Huron Topp
15th Apr 2004, 14:50
Takingthe5th,

yes, nasty pics those. However, no different than what is seen in slaughterhouses worldwide.

The only, ONLY reason for any "outrage" over the hunt is the cute-and-cuddly factor. Personally, I think the slaughter of cows, pigs, chickens etc. over the past few years (for various diseases) is much more disgusting.

Pass the HP Sauce, I've got a moose steak to fry up!

ssultana
15th Apr 2004, 16:05
If it were male elephant seals being clubbed i doubt there would be the fuss...

timmcat
15th Apr 2004, 16:22
Slight diversion off topic...

The Dingle Dolphin is called 'Funghi' - been out in the bay twice and seen him.. got the piccies to prove it..

Or have I?

Funghi has been responsible over the years for a massive rise in visitors to Dingle, a fairly unremarkable village which takes an age to get to. Now, perchance, should the poor animal have met an untimely end, what would the canny Irish do to maintain the interest of the tourists?

How many different 'Funghi's' have there been?

airship
15th Apr 2004, 18:35
Chuks made a very valid point So they don't club the cute little baby seal, they just send Mummy away for a while... then what does the baby seal live on, anyway, sandwiches? So do they spare mums with under-12 day olds? Or do they leave behind a few seal(ed) packs of (freeze-dried) baby formula for the pups to be getting on with... :yuk:

I suppose we're all very lucky that seals don't know how to fly planes or plant bombs, other than those few seals south of the border around whom the brandishing of clubs could be lethal. And what about all those other ex. Navy seals, do we really know everything about what they were trained to do? :}

This scenario may not be as far-fetched as it may first appear:

Under the guise of promoting tourism to Canada generally but Air Canada's Club Class in particular, a half-dozen seals have passed through airport security. Some are now delighting passengers in the departure lounge with traditional balancing ball tricks etc. Ominously, a couple have gone missing...the rest is now history. The last recorded communication between ATC and AC751 went something like "auwk auwk"! :O

Rich Lee
15th Apr 2004, 19:12
Wow! I've got to see this! Air Canada here I am come!

Huron Topp
16th Apr 2004, 00:29
The last recorded communication between ATC and AC751 went something like "auwk auwk"!

Airship: 'tis a lie I tell you. The cute little guys made their escape in my carry-on. Now, where are those green onions and garlic?

Seal, uhhmmmmmmmm....:E