13th Apr 2004, 08:37
Wot phobia's you lot got then?

Ric

sprocket
13th Apr 2004, 08:48
Sparrers', for example.

angels
13th Apr 2004, 09:26
This may sound strange, but I hate 'medium' type heights.

That is, standing on the cliff edge at Beachy Head (400 feet or so?), or on the ramparts of the castle on St. Michael's Mount (150 feet?). Stuff like that. I feel distinctly queasy.

But in a 744 at 36,000 feet supping a screwdriver or a Cessna at 2,500 feet preparing to hurl myself out of it -- not a problem.

Send Clowns
13th Apr 2004, 09:52
Heights, but then again in my experience most pilots seem to have that fear.

timmcat
13th Apr 2004, 10:01
Don't like flying much. Actually, thats a lie, I do enjoy it but dont like the feeling of being out of control. I remember the first time I encountered moderate CAT over the atlantic. That's when it became apparant. Its not like being on an uneven road where you can see whats coming and just stop the car when you like.

eal401
13th Apr 2004, 10:15
Angels, I am the same!!!! At any altitude in an aircraft, my nose is on the window. However, anything "enclosed" e.g. an atrium in a tallish building and I'm all quivery!

My other phobia is arachnoid related!

Slow-Rider
13th Apr 2004, 10:55
I hate things too close to my eyes it makes me lurch backwards.

My mother has a terrible phobia of cars, its very distressing for her to go anywhere in a car. Everytime the car infront brakes she braces for an impact in terror. Even if that car is miles away! Think she hd some counselling once but didn't help at all.

PTT
13th Apr 2004, 11:10
Big spiders. If you can see the eyes to count them all, then they're too big :eek:

...and exposed heights. Put me in a hover from 10' to 8000' and I'm happy. Take the door away, though....

iainpoll
13th Apr 2004, 11:39
Its not the height that frightens me, its the ground..:} :ouch: :}

Ozzy
13th Apr 2004, 12:01
I overcame most of mine through just getting on with it. Scared of spiders? Become the person in the house responsible for removing spiders from kiddies bedrooms. Dentists? Schedule visits every six months and just go. Heights? Climb a ladder. Water? Swim every day. Open spaces? Go for a walk in the park. Fire? Cook on a grill:E

Ozzy

RadarContact
16th Apr 2004, 19:45
This may sound strange, but I hate 'medium' type heights.

That is, standing on the cliff edge at Beachy Head (400 feet or so?), or on the ramparts of the castle on St. Michael's Mount (150 feet?). Stuff like that. I feel distinctly queasy.

But in a 744 at 36,000 feet supping a screwdriver or a Cessna at 2,500 feet preparing to hurl myself out of it -- not a problem.

Do not confuse the fear of heights with the fear of altitudes... seriously.

For me - I freak out when I come too close to a stick insect, especially when noticed suddenly. Dunno why, must be some remaining childtime trauma or so.... anybody wanna go fly with me? :}

Dead_Heading
16th Apr 2004, 21:19
Fear of grounds. Heights fine, but its the ground that kills you :}

I must learn to type and spell, someday :rolleyes:

Capt.KAOS
16th Apr 2004, 21:34
My shrink told me I had "Arachibutyrophobia"- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

separator
17th Apr 2004, 02:12
I have always suspected that I may suffer from zemmiphobia.

Fortunately, there are no giant mole-rats around here.

sep