PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old to even consider this?

thecookster
13th Apr 2004, 07:39
I am currently 30 years old (just) and have strarted my PPL training after finally getting to the point where I can afford to undertake a lifelong ambition.

I would really like to undertake a course to lead to an ATPL licence, such as the one at Oxford Aviation, but would I be likely to find employment at the (then) grand old age of 31 and who is prepared to finance that, assuming 10% of the cost I have the money for? I know that they say HSBC will give you a career development loan, but what is the repayment schedule likely to look like in comparison to earnings potential as a low hour 31 year old???

Pilot Pete
13th Apr 2004, 08:08
This subject has been done many times before and the search function will give you many other examples to help form your opinion.

As for likelyhood of employment upon qualification, well, I think you have to extremely realistic when planning for loan repayments etc. The chances are that with circa 200hrs and your shiny new licence you will not get employed. That is a mass generalisation and of course there are exceptions to the rule, but being realistic I think you have to consider the strong possibility that you are not going to walk into a paid flying job and you are going to need to roll your sleeves up and start the (sometimes) long slog of getting a paid flying job to build experience and get yourself into a position where (I assume you are talking airline) employers are interested in you. There are many people on these pages who have been down this road and who are still not in an airline a few years and a few hundred or even thousand hours later.

Sorry to sound so cheery about your prospects! It's not all doom and gloom (quite!) What you have to do is hope for the increasing demand for pilots (which I am sure you are aware has been at a distinct low) to continue, for world events not to conspire against the industry again and for a bit of (self made) luck to come your way! Keep all options open, consider the potential requirement for you to have to pay for an initial type rating, apply for selection to things like the CTC ATP scheme and plan on having to fund an instructor rating or something to get some experience.

So earnings potential. Well, if you get a job on a jet straight away (the most unlikely) you could potentially earn up to about the 'high twenty thousands'. But, you will probably be on some kind of self funded type rating scheme which may have additional tie-ins and reduced salary for a number of months or years (or extra debt). A turbo-prop job (again fairly unlikely with 200hrs and in my opinion even less likely than a jet job with the same hours on one of the schemes) you will earn something like low '20's. Anything other than this (non airline) and it varies vastly from working for nothing (as you are getting valuable hours) to very good but not getting much experience working for a private owner perhaps, but again you are unlikely to get that kind of job with so few hours, similarly corporate jobs as again more hours tend to be required. Working as an FI varies again depending on school, location, hours flown etc, but generally speaking you are not going to earn good money as a newly qualified FI, certainly not enough to finance living costs and repay a huge debt. Many people freelance instruct and work in something else as well.

Again, sorry if it sounds depressing, but I think it's a fairly true picture of the potential, which of course can all pale into insignificance if you apply and get a jet job a month after qualification....................................!

Good luck.

PP

thecookster
13th Apr 2004, 09:00
As I thought I suppose, deep down, as the cadet schemes seem to cut off at 27 or so. I think I will have to be content with my lot as is, concentrate on getting my PPL and enjoy flying! If I can continue to build hours/experience etc then all the better!

duir
13th Apr 2004, 09:33
Well I am now 31 and just about to sit the first 8 ATPLs and I do not feel too old! At 31 I can bring a lot of experience and maturtity with me. If you are so ready to fall at the first fence then how can you hope to last in this game? Of course its demoralising and of course its very, very hard work and it costs 2 arms and a leg thats why it really has to be a labour of love and not a way to earn lots of dosh. The overiding factor for me was the thought of being old and bitter reflecting on what could have been not what is.

Here is my philosophy;

"if I can get my PPL I will do the IMC"
"if I can get the IMC I will do the night rating"
"if I can do the night I will do the get a class 1 medical"
"if I can do the class 1 medical I will do the ATPLs".........etc

You see to someone with conviction it really doesn't matter what they throw at you or how much it takes, to truly succeed you have to want to ..........................
but never mind you are already out of the race and 1 less person to worry about for me when I apply for my first flying job!!!
:ok:

G-LOST
13th Apr 2004, 21:56
I was 30 and in NZ with a CPL/IR and 700 hours (mostly PPL) but a job in another field. I then decided to come to the UK where jobs were aplenty (then), so did all the ATPLs again, plus another CPL and IR here. Market fell apart. Did an FI. Built hours. Did all the FI add-ons, got up to 1500 hours and managed to swing a jet job. Now 34 & 11/12ths and have 600 hours on jets as an FO. Don't regret it for a second. Cost me my superannuation payout, my house, my friends and family and my lifestyle, but still love every second.

Get on with it IF you are prepared to make all the sacrifices and to stay the distance.

GOOD LUCK.

LOST no longer.

80/20
14th Apr 2004, 12:09
30+ is not too old – go for it!
Many airlines like to hire older pilots.
Many pilots have been hired into airline jobs in their mid and late thirties.
:ok:

V1 Rotate
14th Apr 2004, 18:28
I was 38 with a PPL, no IF, not even a night rating, when I lost my farm and my Baron 55 in a very messy divorce.
At 39 I qualified as a Com IF Multi and had just achieved 1000hrs.
Now 9 years on I have a South African Atpl with Hawker and Citation types, A US FAA ATPL and am currently flying Hawkers all over the place and intend to continue doing so for many years to come.
Age is a disadvantage yes, but youth is no substitute for determination and stuborn persistence.

Go For It !!!

:ok: :ok: :ok:

V1

McCroskey
15th Apr 2004, 20:12
Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.:E