PDA

View Full Version : It's Crunch Time!!

DanRS
13th Apr 2004, 06:25
Well, todays the day I finally find out once and for all!

I'm off to Gatwick for my Class 1.

I haven't posted here for sometime, but basically I'm hoping to do a Cpl(h) however I have Amblyopia, which is an eyesight condition that cannot be improved with lenses.

Having been to a couple of opticians with encouraging results, no-one could tell me whether this would mean I would pass a Class 1 and start flying.

So the only option was to actually take the Class 1 before even doing a ppl. The one saving grace is that I can do an "Eyes First" medical.

Trouble is even if I pass the Eyesight test, my blood pressure is going to sky high! Doh!

Must confess I'm not over confident:(

Ho hum. At least i know I did everything I could, and no-one can tell me I didn't try.

Cheers Dan

mazzy1026
13th Apr 2004, 10:22
Well I hope that your next post is the one that you wanted! Best of luck

Maz

Pilot16
13th Apr 2004, 13:38
Yes waiting...

I had ambliopia and I failed it because i read one letter wrong on the 6/9 line (with the abpliopic/lazy eye)...............

DanRS
13th Apr 2004, 21:51
Well roger me sideways!! (actually don't, that was a figure of speech)

Well I did the "Eyes first" and got through with a reasonable degree of leaway (sp) in that I could read most of the letters on the line below 6/9.

God knows how I did in the rest of the exam, I was quite surprised i didn't blow up the blood pressure machine, it must have been way up. I have to wait a week to ten days for the official result.

If I have failed now at least I will know that I gave it a real shot, I think up today my fear has been that I would spend the rest of my life wondering what if...

It has to be said amblyopia is a real pig with regards this exam. It really monks me off that people who have jar bottoms for specs can pass when I can see perfectly well and have had so much heartache over it.

Pilot16 I'm not sure if it will be of any help, but a consultant called Bruce Evans (do a search on Google) is a well respected authority on Amblyopia, depending on the nature of your condition he may be able to make a couple of suggstions. He has been doing long term research, and while there is no easy fix, in some circumstances excercises can help get a slight improvement which maybe enough to tip it for you. (obviously no promises).

Thanks for the messages

I'll let you know the final outcome.

Cheers Dan

P.S. sorry if my typing is a bit pants, my left eye is still effected by those bloody awful drops.

Pilot16
15th Apr 2004, 20:07
CONGRATULATIONS MATE. I am happy for you. Tell me please what you mean by 'most of the letters below' 6/9.
That would mean You are reading the 6/6 line with your amblyopic eye.

What exactly do you mean by 'leaway' ?

Thanks for the doctors name. I will follow up on him.

DanRS
16th Apr 2004, 08:22
Re the Leaway... I was worried that if I just scraped through I would have issues when doing the annual retests and didn't want to be throwing money at flying, if my cert was going to be pulled in a couple of years, so I specifically asked whether this might be a possibility. I was told that with correction my amblyopic eye read the requred level, and almost all of the next line down. Obviously it was blured but I could read most of the letters.

If you are local to London, Bruce runs trials fairly regularly (or at least used to) which I believe consist of excercises. As I say from what I understand the improvements are generally slight if at all, but it sounds as though you are only after slight improvement.

Having got through the Eyesight, I am now worried about the EEG (having read that thread) I came off my bike when I was 13 and was knocked unconcious. I have never had any after effects, but... well you know.

Oh well will have to wait and see...

edited to say: I have just noticed you are in London. Could be worth a shot

Pilot16
16th Apr 2004, 10:22
Thanks again mate.

Yes, I dont even need any improvement, as I mentioned else where, I was failed on getting one letter wrong.

I had taken numerous eye tests, one of them i achieved 6/7.5, I done this privately. The optometrist just happened to be a CAA approved one!

DanRS
19th Apr 2004, 11:33
I passed!!!!!!!!

Can't believe it. I had convinced myself I was doomed.

thanks for the comments guys, and good luck to everyone going for their medical.

Cheers Dan