PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Skytrax Airline of the Year

Wirraway
13th Apr 2004, 05:47
http://www.airlinequality.com/2004/group_results.htm

Singapore Airlines wins Airline of the Year 2004 Award in world's largest Passenger Survey

After 10 months of passenger voting, the Skytrax Airline of the Year survey logged a total of 10.8 million eligible entries, and more than 92 different nationalities participated.

The much prized 2004 Airline of the Year title has been won by Singapore Airlines, after some considerable challenges by Emirates (2nd) and Cathay Pacific (3rd) - both of these carriers being in the title position on several occasions through the 10 month period of the survey.

In addition to scooping the 2004 Airline of the Year title, Singapore Airlines takes the award for "Best Airline Asia" - and was amongst the top three performers as Best Transpacific, Best First Class and Best Economy Class airline.

The final 2004 Surveys rankings:

1 Singapore Airlines
2 Emirates
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Qantas Airways
5 Thai Airways
6 British Airways
7 Qatar Airways
8 Malaysia Airlines
9 Continental Airlines
10 ANA All Nippon Airways

The final result remained uncertain until just 2 weeks before survey closure, with Emirates (2nd) and Cathay Pacific (3rd) both leading the survey rankings at different periods of the 10 month project, and it is with all credit to the final winner, Singapore Airlines that they were able to maintain a steady level of support to clinch the title. The consistency of the SIA staff service delivery, allied to great inflight entertainment appeared to be two key factors to the airline securing it's first Skytrax Airline of the Year title - Singapore Airlines also being voted Best Airline S E Asia, and ranked 3rd for Best First Class and Best Economy Class respectively.

The dividing margins between 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions were just a few thousand nominations, and in taking the survey Silver Award for a second consecutive year, Emirates was also the recipient of the Best Economy Class and Best Middle East airline titles. Again, key factors of support behind the Emirates voting were their standards of cabin staff service, onboard catering and inflight entertainment.

Last year's winner, Cathay Pacific, may have slipped into 3rd position overall, but the final vote differentials were relatively slim - and Cathay Pacific does not go away empty-handed, being the winner of the 2004 Best Transpacific Airline and 2004 Best First Class titles.

Qantas moved up one place to take 4th position in the 2004 survey, as well as clinching the Best Airline Australasia title - together with securing 2nd place as Best First Class, and the new Qantas Business Class product pushing them up to 3rd place in Best Business Class category. Looking at passenger feedback on the Qantas nominations, the airline still scores well for standards of staff service, and recent product improvements particularly to the economy cabin have won a lot of loyal support.

Thai Airways moves into the top 5 rankings for the first time, from 8th position in 2003. Cabin staff service, economy cabin legroom and onboard catering were high support factors for Thai, whilst poor IFE and business class seating were the negative aspects

In sixth position (unchanged from their 2003 ranking) British Airways was named as the Best Business Class and Best Transatlantic airline - with rival UK carrier, Virgin Atlantic, new business class product not available enough to influence their final 2004 positioning.

The highest moving entrant into the 2004 top rankings is Qatar Airways in 8th place (up from 24th in 2003). With media releases trumpeting their status as the world's fastest growing airline, Qatar Airways scored very well for the quality of staff service delivery, and generally high product standards across all their cabin categories. Qatar Airways also took 2nd place in the Best Middle East Airline category.

Malaysia Airlines (8th position) slipped slightly from last year's 5th place ranking, although this is another airline where we would expect next year's performance to be enhanced by their upgraded First and Business Class products due to come on stream later in 2004. As the recipient of the Best Cabin Staff Award several years in succession, we have yet to see if Malaysia Airlines are able to repeat their success for the 2004 title.

The growing global interest in low-cost airlines was duly recognised in the final Survey results, with JetBlue Airways voted the world's Best Low-Cost Airline for 2004, ahead of Virgin Blue in 2nd and Southwest Airlines 3rd. What was also surprising, is that JetBlue was also voted 2nd Best Airline for North America - against it's full service rivals - and Virgin Blue also achieved similar recognition by taking 3rd place in the Best Airline Australasia category (behind Qantas and Air New Zealand).

Around the regions, South African Airways takes the Best Airline Africa title for the 4th successive year - well ahead of it's nearest survey rival, Kenya Airways. British Airways retained it's position as Best Airline Europe, ahead of SWISS (who also took 2nd place in 2003). TAM Brazilian was named as Best Airline South America, with Copa Airlines securing the title for Best Airline Central America.

Dragonair secures the Best Airline China title, well ahead of mainland rivals China Southern and China Eastern Airlines, whilst in Europe, PGA Portugalia Airlines followed up it's 2003 award as 2004 Best European Regional Airline.

13 April 2004

===========================================

AirNoServicesAustralia
13th Apr 2004, 07:54
What was also surprising, is that JetBlue was also voted 2nd Best Airline for North America - against it's full service rivals - and Virgin Blue also achieved similar recognition by taking 3rd place in the Best Airline Australasia category (behind Qantas and Air New Zealand).

Give them a medal they came third in Australasia behind Qantas and Air New Zealand. Who did they beat out for that honour????

tobzalp
13th Apr 2004, 08:24
AeroPelican but it was close.

Next Generation
13th Apr 2004, 09:59
Freedomair, Air Nauru, Solomon Airlines, Air Calin, Polynesian Airlines, Air Vanuatu, Air Pacific.

That's a few.

LooseConnection
13th Apr 2004, 10:20
How QF manages to make it into the major league is beyond me, I thought they were still in 2nd Div.

What a pox riddled outfit, the cabin staff couldn't even spell service let alone deliver it. It belies belief how they figure in the top hundred anywhere, still rose coloured glasses and Chardonay on the 9th at Bangkok does wonders I suppose.

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Chronic Snoozer
13th Apr 2004, 10:46
Actually there are quite a few people in Europe who regard QANTAS quite highly.....according to my scientific survey. Never ceases to amaze me how quickly Australians denigrate their own. Tall poppy syndrome runs rampant on this forum. As my grandma used to say 'If you can't say something nice......'

CS

AirNoServicesAustralia
13th Apr 2004, 20:06
Next Generation I hope you were kidding, I mean Air Nauru??? Well they would have been hard to pip, with their clapped out old 737 spending most of its time broken down sitting on the apron waiting for someone to come up with the cash to fix it. And the rest of the airlines you mentioned??? Not exactly extensive networks or modern fleets.

Keg
13th Apr 2004, 20:51
ANSA,
NG isn't kidding but independent audits have shown that 99.9% of his comments are crap so I wouldn't worry too much about it too much. :E

LC,
Your assertion about QF 'service' is one that is being changed by the day. I've spoken to a lot of punters in recent times and the feedback seems to be much more positive than it used to be. Perhaps you are holding onto an old perception. One which the current levels of service don't support. Along similar lines, I haven't heard Brett Godfrey talk much about on time arrivals since QF nailed DJ in two out of the three months of the first survey- and that on ACARS data, not crew logged times! :D :E

Rich-Fine-Green
13th Apr 2004, 20:53
QF may rate highly on service but recently, they did not impress me with being punctual. I have taken six flights during the past month or so;

4 hour delay - 2.5 hour delay - 1 hour delay - 3 x on-time.

2 of the on-time flights were with Virgin Blue (the first time I have used DJ). The other 4 flights were QF with only one on-time.

Keg
13th Apr 2004, 21:21
And my little brother has had the reverse happen when flying DJ instead of QF between MEL and SYD return! ;)

LooseConnection
14th Apr 2004, 04:03
Got to disagree Keg, the equipment and tech crew up there with the best, but the rest of the outfit from top to bottom lets the whole show down, very 2nd rate.

BIG attitude problem there which will take years to change. :hmm:

Next Generation
15th Apr 2004, 05:09
I wasn't looking for an argument. I just answered the question that you asked.

Keg,

No independent audit required!

Q-Tee
15th Apr 2004, 06:53
Loose Connection .... maybe you should let the majority of the punters decide ? :rolleyes: It is the most extensive independant reseach in the world, based soley on pax response ..... so we cant be doing that badly to be rated 4th in the world .... yup still a ways to go, but we are certainly getting better :p

AirNoServicesAustralia
15th Apr 2004, 07:49
Having flown Emirates, Cathay and Qantas in the last 2 years a fair bit, I found the biggest difference between them was that Emirates had the most modern fleet with the best in flight entertainment (and I haven't been on the new A340's with the movies on demand and 500 channels). Cathay was good but their connections in Hong Kong were bad, having to wait around for between 8 and 12 hours. Also Cathay depending on which leg you fly you can end up on an old 747 with pretty basic entertainment, as was the case with Qantas. The Emirates service has always been consistently good, while again Cathay and Qantas was inconsistent. One I was surprised with was Malaysian being rated so low. Have only heard good things about SIA but never flown with them so wouldn't know.

Mr Seatback 2
15th Apr 2004, 09:00
I say good on QF for coming in the Top 5.

True - not a great deal of competition in the broader sense in this end of the world, but notice how there's only one US carrier in the whole list.

Credit where it's due, things are looking up - otherwise, why would an independent survey put them as No 4 - ahead of BA, etc?

Is QF perfect? No - but then again, we all have different ideas of perfect don't we? And they can't be all bad if they manage to make it in the Top 5.

FCOLOVER22
20th May 2004, 00:36
HI GUYS....

You should watch out for the soon to start new service from QATAR AIRWAYS from MEL and later SYD also to DOHA in QATAR and then on to a vast network in 4 continents....

Cheaper fares, friendly service and high standards and quality......... and with new A330/200 aircraft......

i think either via SIN OR KUL....

Will start in November this year...

more info in WWW.QATARAIRWAYS.COM

p.s. in future these flights will become direct flights....in 2006 there will be deliveries of new A340/600...

AirNoServicesAustralia
20th May 2004, 15:42
Onya mate. Happy for Qatar Airways since Qatars explosion over here keeps me in a job, keeping them apart. I just wonder how are they going to crew these aircraft, since they lose pilots and hosties as fast as they can hire them. Their employer/employee relations is a running joke on the Middle East Forum. Secondly which destination would I like to fly to in the Middle East....hmmm...Cosmopolitan Dubai with Emirates or Doha with Qatar. I know what most people will decide.

itchybum
22nd May 2004, 09:06
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAAA..........! ! ! !

ANSA it's funny because it's true!!

er..... Actually it's probably not that funny. But still true.

No, hang it, it IS funny! :ok: