PDA

View Full Version : S/O duties

clear_right
13th Apr 2004, 03:51
Hi

Could someone give me a brief overview of the S/O duties at CX.

Cheers!

Cpt. Underpants
13th Apr 2004, 07:12
Primarily

Observe
Learn
Relief In Flight (cruise only)

Secondary

Eat
Sleep
Bonk
Party

Tertiary

Highlight Hair
Vacation
Complain

That's about it. Good luck.

flyingkiwi
13th Apr 2004, 08:19
CU was almost correct, the proper job description is..

Primary

Eat (the official title is Sandwich Officer)
Sleep
Bonk
Party

Secondary

Highlight Hair (Im curious about that one)
Vacation
Complain (no complaints from me best job in the world)

And then...

Observe
Learn
Relief In Flight (cruise only)

You must have your priorities straight

clear_right
13th Apr 2004, 20:07
Ha ha

It sounds great, but I'm not sure that description would work well in an interview....
Other than the standard "keep the blue side up", "answer the guy on the radio", "go east", and "make sure we don't become a glider", are there any CX specific duties for the S/O.
I figure if you are being interviewed for a job, you had better know what the job description is, but saying that, your discription sounds better!

Cheers

flyingkiwi
14th Apr 2004, 01:43
ok serious now.

A second officer is a cruise relief pilot there dutys working as a member of the team ensuring the safe operation of the flight.... (sounds good at an interview)......

this starts right at despatch working with the crew in decisions about the flight plan and fuel load. you will be asked your thoughts on the fuel load and with most cpts they are (or appear to be) interested in your answer. Some will go on to ask why so you had better pay attention. I have found the crews at CX great, they are always keen to help the s/o's and to share their knowledge and experience. Also it is often that you are the only one in the crew to have been to the destination in the last 6 months/ 3 years.

Arriving at the aircraft the S/O generally does a security check and then assists the operating crew with the flight preparation, including setting up the ACARs all the while acting as gofor. The s/o is expected to monitor the operating crew as an extra pair of eyes.

Once the aircraft is in the cruise you divide up the rest, as s/o if you are wide awake you will be sent to rest. When its your turn up the front your actual duties involve monitoring the flight path, fuel state and weather avoidance, selecting optimum altitude entering the winds into the box, radio and also to act as trained in the event of an emergency.

Descent and landing is to monitor the guys, liase with the cabin as nesassary and sort out the paper work, often you will be asked to update ATIS's and or communicate with ops. but most important keep an eye on whats happening it has been a 12-16 hr flight and every one is tired, the operating crew are always greatful when you tactfully let them know if something is not as it should be.

On the ground, filing charts paper work, tidying the flight deck calling ops and any other odd jobs that need doing, the operationg crew are busy at there seats for some time after shutdown.

Thats about it, the S/O being the most junior on the flight deck is ussually the most enthused and so will often be the moral officer on the trip.

I know you dont do take offs and landings and for some thats unbearable but if you look at other jobs out there it is a pretty good number and its only for 3 years. I instructed for that long on $150NZD per week.

cadet applicant
19th Apr 2004, 18:52
flying kiwi,

your information about S/O duties is really helpful for my cadet interview....may i ask are u one of the CX cockpit crew?

what u mentioned about the S/O duties are the duties for CX S/O duties? or also applicable to other airline?

my 2nd interview for CX cadet will be commenced on next week and i'm preparing for it, pls help!!!

thx so much

Felix Lighter
20th Apr 2004, 16:03
one would suggest that the only reason S/Os highlight their hair is because they still have hair!

or perhaps its not highlights at all but rather sun-bleaching from 18days off a month on the beach in bali, boracay, malapasca and phuket??

roll on direct flights to NYC........ 9hrs in the bunk is a better nights sleep than i get at home - no kids to wake me up, on demand cinema and food delivered.

cant see too much to compain about........ landings? could never do them anyway!

:)

flyingkiwi
21st Apr 2004, 00:22
Cadet

yes that is CX, i have no idea on other airlines but i guess it wont be much different.

Felix

absolutly but how will it be worked... movie movie...movie movie rest rest and then another movie each!

Im about to put in my request for NYC will be fun to go there once!

Cheers
FK
hmmm now whether to go to phuket or Kohsomui

Cpt. Underpants
21st Apr 2004, 06:52
Felix and Kiwi - you should both read your Vol 1's.

9hrs in the bunk is a better nights sleep than i get at home

Vol 1 2-3-9, 11-3 B "No crew member may spend a. More than 8 consecutive hours at the controls without being relieved of all flight duty for at least one hour..."

So how exactly are you going to get 9 hours in the bunk?

Highlights affecting your brains, guys?

Felix Lighter
21st Apr 2004, 08:25
yes, yes we are all well aware of the rules....... but ta for the reminder. it was tongue in cheek.

anyway, if i was on the 'bus, i'd try to avoid it...... US security is just too knob-searing nowadays.

still if you went over the north pole today you'd have the pleasure of .....HMS TIRELESS and USS HAMPTON both surfaced through the ice for a hot coco.

Fly747
21st Apr 2004, 12:23
Kiwi, your job description sounds a lot like that of the good ol' FE except performed by someone with rather less experience and with no knobs and pulleys to work.
Reckon the job is wasted on the young, give the 3rd/4th man job to a grumpy old git who can watch and harrass the youngsters when he is no longer allowed LHS!

Felix Lighter
21st Apr 2004, 21:54
After extensive research I can confirm that the SOs job is Public Relations...or to wave at spotters.

And just in case one cannot see the lighter side - this too is not in Vol 1

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=557877&WxsIERv=QWlyYnVzIEEzNDAtNjQy&WdsYXMg=Q2F0aGF5IFBhY2lmaWMgQWlyd2F5cw%3D%3D&QtODMg=U3lkbmV5IC0gS2luZ3Nmb3JkIFNtaXRoIEludGVybmF0aW9uYWwgK E1hc2NvdCkgKFNZRCAvIFlTU1kp&ERDLTkt=QXVzdHJhbGlhIC0gTmV3IFNvdXRoIFdhbGVz&ktODMp=

Freehills
22nd Apr 2004, 05:37
Fly747.

The difference being that as they are RYR (randy young rams) rather than DOM (Dirty Old Men) the knobs and pulleys they work with still function as designed...