PDA

View Full Version : Where has normal.dot gone?

Timothy
12th Apr 2004, 22:59
It used to be easy to edit your default fonts and everything by editing Normal.dot, but I have done a search on my XP Pro SP1 PC w/ Word 2000 SP1 and Normal.dot ain't there.

Where is this stuff stored these days?

shack
13th Apr 2004, 09:45
You will find it in Windows/Documents & Settings/Your Name/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates.

I have put your name above as XP starts various folders under Documents & Settings such as All users-Default user etc. but there should be one with your name which has all sorts of goodies in it.

Bon chance

Timothy
13th Apr 2004, 10:27
There is no Normal.dot on my computer.

Weird as that seems, it's true :(

Timothy

I have copied Normal.dot to that location from another PC and everything is fine....but it's really odd because I thought it was supposed to create one if it didn't exist!?!

rickity
13th Apr 2004, 21:55
Just done a search for normal.dot with no success but Normal.dot returns the expected. The application data folder is sometimes hidden so you need to have view hidden files selected to find it.

Rickity

Keef
14th Apr 2004, 00:36
I had all sorts of problems with Word (and Excel) on this machine a few weeks ago. Normal.dot was there, but in one of those directories that the system won't display unless you are very firm with it.

Mine's in C: \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. I know it shouldn't be in Administrator, but I've been through all that :(

I stopped the nonsense of it being changed and/or disappearing by making it "read only" so it doesn't get messed about with - and by keeping a spare copy or two elsewhere.

Every time I close Word, it tells me it wants to update normal.dot and asks me to unprotect it. I'd love to stop it doing that, but at least my settings remain unchanged from week to week.